Three-Words Hosting

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Lethe

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:46 am

For those of you who are hosted at three-words.net, you may have noticed that the client area hasn't been accessible for a while. Some of us have received invoice reminders (including overdue invoice warnings) due to that, or are at the risk of losing domains hosted there, or have already had domains expire.

I've been watching this via Twitter Search and people have been tweeting about it since around 19th September. On 26th September, the host tweeted that they had been hospitalized for a few days, and would respond to mails once they're in the clear. It's been over three weeks since, and nobody is sure how this is going to play out in case it's something serious. :(

My domain is registered elsewhere, so I don't have any issues in that regard. I received my final invoice reminder about a week ago, with a warning that my account would get suspended (as per terms of service) if it isn't paid. My sites are still running fine, so I assume that account suspension has to happen manually.

I thought I'd wait some more to see how this plays out, but I received an email this morning by someone affected by all of this. They informed me that according to WHOIS, three-words.net will expire on 3rd November, which is very soon... So now I consider that as the deadline for moving things off three-words. D:

At the very least, I recommend those of you who are hosted at three-words to back up your data. If your domain is about to expire, you might also want to transfer it to another registrar. The person who emailed me is unable to transfer their domain due to it being locked (which might be due to "free domain" conditions, where you have to keep the domain with the host; I didn't ask), so they are trying to get in touch with three-words' host, http://www.namecheap.com/. If that's the case for you too, that might be an option to consider.

With Masao's help (and input from the person who emailed me), I've been looking around for hosting alternatives with offers and prices in three-words' range that also have a good reputation at the moment. I'm currently considering the following, but these are based on my own needs: at least 5 GB space, more than one domain, several databases; preferably not more than $5 per month, preferably flat-rate rather than hidden renewal costs that are based on how long you bind yourself and pay upfront, or temporary discounts that might not be available after the first billing cycle. I like asmallorange's offers and have had heard good things about it from others here at Amassment, but it's also owned by Endurance International Group, which is concerning.

Others that were recommended are the following: Please read Masao's post below too!
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.

Masao
Host

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:53 am

Also, if there's enough interest, I would be willing to run a hosting service myself, with low cost plans for amassment people and people with similar small sized sites, probably similar to what three-words was doing.

I know affordable hosting is hard to come by these days :sob: especially for our small niche community.

Please comment if you would be interested.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Review Hell (that I cannot access right now because my work web filter has flagged it as nudity????) is another good place to go for informations about the EIG thing, a list of hosts that belong to them (sadly yes it includes A Small Orange, BlueHost and Hostgator, among others), and a list of good hosts that will most likely NOT be sold to EIG in the predictable future.

Further research coming as soon as I get home.

I am probably gonna get a reseller account for my next paid host so I might take hostees too but Masao can most likely get that off the ground faster for Amassment.

ETA

List of hosts belonging to EIG
List of alternative hosts, with review
Last edited by nyxmidnight on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Lethe

Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for the useful link, Nyx!

I've added two more links to the first post. One of them is very similar to three-words.

Right now I'm most in favour of supporting Masao's project though; I'd love for Amassment - or well, someone who manages Amassment - to offer hosting! That'd be so neat for all the fansites. :heart:

Tara
Freelance Staffer

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:07 pm

Oh boy, thank you for this post, I wasn't even aware this was happening. Besaid is hosted on a free domain package, so it looks like I've got some choices to make. I don't have a lot of money so the free domain hosting was really letting me keep this hobby going for me, but if I can find somewhere or someone to host me for a reasonable price I'd be 100% down.

I'd definitely be interested in your hosting, Masao!! In the meantime I should log onto my PC and back everything up.
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.

Masao
Host

Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:41 pm

Yeah if I do this, I'll make it super cheap and affordable.

And if you guys have anything in databases, I would highly recommend backing those up too (if you have phpmyadmin access, use their export function).
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.

Stefi
Administrator

Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:16 am

I can provide temporary emergency hosting if anyone here with Three-Words isn't able to set up with a new host before it goes down. You won't get asuper-cool cpanel (I'll set you up with an FTP account) and my server occasionally goes down more than I'd like, but I do have unlimited space! (just not unlimited bandwidth sigh)

Feel free to send me a PM or email and we can figure stuff out from there :)

Lysianthus

Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:54 am

Just received an email from Misaki. Three-Words is back! :D
Affelius (creative) ☆ Asclaria (network) ☆ Lysianthus (personal)

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:46 am

Lysianthus wrote:Just received an email from Misaki. Three-Words is back! :D
That is awesome news for everyone :D
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Lethe

Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:24 am

aaaah I'm glad!!

• Information