Giving same name to different sites

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Crystal

Thu May 05, 2016 11:29 am

Okay, not quite sure where to put this but I figured this was more of a general thing so I'm sharing it here.

So I'm working on my Fire Emblem collective and I'm having trouble with the name. I want to call it "Invisible Ties", but the thing is the name is already taken by my Fire Emblem: Awakening fanlisting. I can't think of anything else I like better for a collective, as I feel the name fits the series as a whole, and unfortunately I don't want to rename the fanlisting again (I did once before the last time I made an FE collective, but changed it back when I closed it).

So, my question for you guys is what are your thoughts about giving multiple sites the same name? Do you prefer giving all your sites different names or do you like to give some sites the same name?

I personally don't have a problem giving multiple sites the same name, but I've been told that it would be confusing for visitors so I'm a bit hesitant. I'd like to know what other people think!
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.

Lethe

Thu May 05, 2016 1:15 pm

I wouldn't give my sites the same name, but - and I hope that nobody takes this as me looking down on fanlistings! (I love browsing them) - I would be more lenient in cases like this one and for fanlistings in general. The thing is, fanlistings run through an approval system, so there is only always one fanlisting at a time. So while I love names a lot, when I refer to a fanlisting, I say "the Fire Emblem 8 fanlisting, the Lucina fanlisting" rather than call them by their site name, and I assume it's the same for other people.

With shrines, however, some subjects receive multiple sites over time or around the same time (especially for things such as Final Fantasy, and especially in the early days), and their content is made up of many more elements compared to fanlistings, so they are much more distinct. (Do not mistake this as me saying there's no variety in fanlistings.)

I don't say "oh that Tidus shrine I liked" - I say: "Poltergeist is a shrine I love revisiting", or "Poltergeist is Todd's most memorable shrine", or "Poltergeist is my favourite Tidus shrine". A shrine's name is also, at least to me, more memorable than a fanlisting's name because you just spend more time browsing a shrine than you do on a fanlisting.

So while I wouldn't give shrines or collectives the same name, chances are I wouldn't even notice if you gave a shrine the same name you've already used for one of your fanlistings. =x I also think it's less of an issue to give something the same name if the sites are about drastically different subjects (not the case here), or for different types of sites (which is the case here).
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.

Aku

Thu May 05, 2016 2:01 pm

I would echo what Lethe says here--in the case of fanlistings they are unique and most people probably wouldn't refer to your fanlisting as the title you've chosen, but as "The FE:A fanlisting", so it might not be as much of an issue as you think!

I suppose you could consider that it might be an issue within your collective solely because your fanlisting would likely be part of that: and someone visiting might be like "Why is the collective itself linked within the collective"? In that regard, I would say choose what you think the title works for better and rename the other. If your fear is that you've renamed the fanlisting too many times, I doubt if it would bother anyone. I'd be more concerned about renaming a shrine over and over--for exactly the reason Lethe said. I might go looking for Todd's site (which I know as Poltergeist) and not be able to find it again if he renamed it to "Kewt Blitzball Boy" or something like that lol.

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Thu May 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Echoing both points!

Personally, if I had two shrines and I wanted to name both the same thing...I'd think of another name for one of them. Then, if the second one would have made a better fit for the name I already had, I would be biting my fingers off, but I wouldn't go and change the first one.

But if it's a fanlisting and a collective, or a fanlisting and a shrine, then I don't see why not.

If it were me, though, I'd still wreck my brain to see if there's an even better name that still fits, just to avoid any possible confusion.

you should name it "support already, you fools"
Aku wrote:I might go looking for Todd's site (which I know as Poltergeist) and not be able to find it again if he renamed it to "Kewt Blitzball Boy"
PFFF Todd take note

Crystal

Fri May 06, 2016 12:49 pm

Thank you for your thoughts everyone! All very good points. I'm still thinking on names but if all else fails I will fall back to the name I want to use. I got the word "fate" stuck in my head so I'm thinking of something to go with that.
dubiousdisc wrote:you should name it "support already, you fools"
Ahaha isn't that the truth!
Aku wrote:I might go looking for Todd's site (which I know as Poltergeist) and not be able to find it again if he renamed it to "Kewt Blitzball Boy"
Bahahaha! xD

Mikari

Fri May 06, 2016 7:22 pm

I like it when everything has a different name, but it's a personal choice. I link the FLs I join with the site name and subject, if I can't find a site name it takes me a moment to realize that some people don't name their fanlists, which strikes me as odd, but to each their own.

Crystal

Fri May 06, 2016 7:35 pm

Yeah I've noticed some people don't name their fanlistings. I always have to give mine names.

Chibi

Sun May 08, 2016 4:46 pm

I pretty much agree with everything Lethe, Aku and Dubs have said! I personally would change either the name of the fanlisting or the one of the collective, but that's just personal choice. I wouldn't have a problem with seeing two sites with the same name, I'd just think the person really liked that name. :3

Something with "fate" in it would be really cool though!

Crystal

Mon May 09, 2016 1:18 am

Yeah! I just can't think of anything cool to go with it. I don't want Fate by itself though. Really short names are super hard for me to work with.

• Information