How many Fanlistings for a collective?

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Destinie

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Just curious: How many fanlistings would you have before you have a fanlisting collective? If you have your fanlistings scattered in other collectives or domains do store them elsewhere and link them in that collective? Or do you bring them all together regardless of subcollectives and themes?

How do you organize them in a way that is intuitive for your visitors?

Mikari

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:00 pm

However many you feel are enough to be worth making the collective. :) I would say around 5+. It's nice to be able to go to a single collective and see all the FLs someone has built.

Chibi

Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:28 am

I'd say you can make a collective at any point, though 5+ seems to be common. :)

At the moment all my fanlistings are just listed in my collective, but if I had other domains I would probably separate them - so each domain gets their own section with their own fanlistings and all the rest just go into the collective. Alternatively, you could sort them by category if you see some categories have more fls than others (like Larissa has done on her collective, which is something I've been wanting to do for mine as well).
Last edited by Chibi on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robin
Events Staffer

Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:54 am

It's not actually a fanlisting collective, but my book shrine collective only has one site thus far. The collective is sitting there silently judging me while I procrastinate on building more book-based shrines xD

No, but seriously, having the collective already in place means less setup for me later, and also gives me a reason to WANT to build more sites for it. :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Emma
Time Traveler

Sun May 01, 2016 12:52 am

Yeah, I've seen people new to fanlistings who have a collective set up when they only have one. Or even who just have an app pending and none approved so far - which makes sense if you have no other site, and TFL does require proof of some kind of HTML skills so they know you can build the site. Some people don't own fanlistings but have "collectives" for the fanlistings they join. So honestly, I think you can have as little as you like. Whatever feels like a collective to you. :)

Right now I just have my fanlisting organised by categories that mostly reflect the categories at TFL and TAFL. I would like to do something a bit more creative with that eventually.
a spoony bard

Megan A

Thu May 05, 2016 9:06 am

I started my collective before I applied for any fanlistings so I could use my site as proof of HTML skills, as Emma stated. I don't think there is any sort of set number! If you want to make one, then you should make one! :D I am a little biased though because I love browsing fanlisting collectives. It's a little snapshot of someone's interests, and I love seeing what other people like.

Destinie

Thu May 05, 2016 4:12 pm

Interesting, I really never made that correlation but it makes sense, hahaha! On another note: do you all use a special script to run your collectives? Is it easier? And do you prefer to have a separate domain or subcollective for your fanlistings? :>

Aku

Thu May 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Destinie wrote:Interesting, I really never made that correlation but it makes sense, hahaha! On another note: do you all use a special script to run your collectives? Is it easier? And do you prefer to have a separate domain or subcollective for your fanlistings? :>
I use Enthusiast to maintain my fanlistings (which definitely makes it easy to keep everything updated), but not to display them on the domain, if that makes sense?

I'm in the process of revamping my collective right now and I won't be using Enthusiast to organize it! I'm working on making my collective a little more personal, and I think Enthusiast straight out of the box has a tendency to make things look a little cookie-cutter. However, if your collective is large and you apply for fanlistings on the regular, using a script definitely makes more sense than updating your collective manually. I'm sure if I was smarter with coding I could figure out how to do what I'm doing AND use Enthusiast... but I'm a knucklehead so I'm doing it manually. ;__;

I have a separate domain for my fanlistings, but in hindsight I don't think it's necessary, especially if your collective isn't all that big. (I just kinda wanted the domain name, and needed an excuse to use it haha.) I started with a subdomain & moved to a domain later!

Rems

Fri May 06, 2016 9:32 am

If I remember right, I think I opened my collective after I'd been approved for a few fanlistings, but that was only because I already had a fansite to prove that I knew HTML. I have them scattered across my network based on subject (eg. all the FF ones are on my FF domain) but they are all linked from my collective, even if they're not all in the fan subdomain on nevarra.

I use Enthusiast to actually update and for affiliates, because as someone who updated manually for a good 5? 6? Years(??) it is so much easier to use a script. It's a lot less time consuming to add and update; when I first started fanlistings I would get new members within the two month update period no problem, so I didn't really notice it, but these days I can be lucky to get new members in a year so I would spend several hours a month just updating the FL on the two month barrier. Which was round the time I talked myself into enth, haha.
❝ they have stolen the heart from inside you, but this does not define you ❞

Emma
Time Traveler

Fri May 06, 2016 12:43 pm

I also use Enth. It's just so much easier. I do agree with Aku, though, in that straight-out-of-the-box enth collectives can be a bit samey. Which is fine, tis the nature of the beast and it is a nifty script. But another reason why I want to personalise my collective a bit more. I've already began hacking the join forms on my fanlistings and trying to be a bit more imaginative with member lists, but it's a work in progress.
a spoony bard

• Information