Hosting recommendations

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Emma
Time Traveler

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm currently hosted with Dreamhost, and have been for a long time. But I'm considering switching hosts and have no idea where to start looking and so I am looking for some insight and recommendations into good hosts (or warnings about bad hosts to avoid). Thank you~ :content:

Dreamhost have actually been mostly fine, but I've had ongoing issues with my email, particularly with webmail lagging or just refusing to load altogether since they changed their webmail interface, and emails taking forever to get through. I know it's been a complaint with other customers too. I've also had a lot of lag and hanging when trying to use PHPMyAdmin, which is less annoying because it's not like I use it as much as my email but it's just another irritating thing on top of it. The email thing is REALLY bugging me.
a spoony bard

Lethe

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:57 pm

I've been with three-words for years because I wanted something that'd feel smaller and more private, I guess! From browsing in similar communities, I've seen a lot of others that are with three-words too. I haven't had any issues ever (downtime, lag, etc.) and when I have questions or need help, I receive very quick replies. I don't know about webmail interface though since I just forward everything to my gmail inbox, and I haven't noticed any delays with that.

When I researched hosts a few years back, I read a loooot of good things about HostGator though (as Laura mentioned).
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.

Laura

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:07 pm

As Lethe mentioned, I'm with HostGator. :) They are great!

I have four active domains and the biggest pain in the ass for transferring to a new host is downloading and then uploading everything, setting up the new subdomains, etc. HostGator actually does this FOR YOU. They will do it free of cost for the primary domain and then it's an additional cost for each extra domain each. For me, it was a little pricey for all four domains but it was very much worth the cost because I am super lazy. :D I did experience a delay in hearing back from them regarding the fees, which is my only complaint. They have been extraordinary otherwise.

You can't beat their hosting fees overall. I actually forked over like 3 years worth of hosting in one payment because it's cheap and I don't wanna worry about having to pay for it later. XD I knew I'd be staying with them for some time. There doesn't appear to be any bandwidth limitations or any limitations on what you actually upload to your servers, within reason. I have large images and some mp3s that don't seem to be causing any problems.

Robin
Events Staffer

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:16 pm

I have personally used SurpassHosting and A Small Orange, and both are excellent. SurpassHosting has handled WMW.org for the last almost 12 years, and I can't think of a time when my websites have been down. I use A Small Orange for some business websites I have designed/built/maintain, and I love their Live Chat feature to help me debug any weirdness--plus their plans are SUPER reasonable.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Anise

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:15 pm

I just started with A Small Orange and I love them. I've also used readyhosting (would not recommend) and goDaddy (I never had issues but others have said they have)
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG

FandomSavant

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:16 pm

My go-to was always Yahoo!, which I think was just a carry over from my former loyalty to Geocities. Now that they've switched to Aabaco, I decided to go elsewhere. So, my domain is hosted with Jaguar PC. I have had zero issues with them. Now, as far as webmail goes, I don't know how they are, because I haven't used it yet.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant

Chibi

Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:16 am

I have used Dreamhost too in the past, but I moved to Three-Words in 2011 (I needed to cut down on costs because of uni) and have been there since. I really cannot recommend them enough, their service is amazing (for really cheap prices too!), always friendly and very quick to reply to tickets! :heart:

I've looked at A Small Orange before and they seem really good too, with really reasonable prices. :content:

Todd

Sun May 01, 2016 6:03 am

I have used A Small Orange for years and years. Their customer service is unbeatable. They reply within minutes, and are super helpful. Once, I got a virus on my domain, and they went through, updated my sites to older versions, and removed the virus. I'm not going anywhere else.

Tara
Freelance Staffer

Mon May 02, 2016 9:02 pm

I'm also with Three Words, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for affordable hosting. I'm still with a free package even though it's not offered anymore, and the support and up-time is still really good. I've had a few incidents with forgetting to renew my domain and recovering my files and Misaki has been really great with getting everything done. She's a really nice host! I won't be going anywhere else. :>
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.

Delphine

Tue May 03, 2016 10:06 am

I've been hosted by Three Words for 5 years already and I've never been let down by their service :3 As Lethe, Chibi and Tara said, Misaki is really kind and always does her best to help us when we need it!

• Information