Pro Website and Portfolio, Nyx Edition

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:05 am

I feel like my brain is an omelette du fromage, so I turn to you, Amassment. Help me decide the best option for my upcoming professional website and portfolio!

What I need:
  • Site must be bilingual, since I am a translator
  • Quotes and Contact Forms
  • Portfolio
  • Modern look
What would be nice:
  • Nice little hover effects
  • The possibility to shift from an English page to a French page and vice versa
  • Not too complicated to build up
Technologies available to me:
  • HTML5 and CSS3 + PHP includes + Isotope
  • Bootstrap
  • Semantic UI
  • Hugo (maybe?)
  • Wordpress
  • Other?
I am tempted to try out Hugo maybe, but for a professional website I think maybe something I know in and out would be safer? A simple site using a framework like Bootstrap or Semantic UI would be easy to build up, but for a really powerful website should I got through the trouble of a custom Wordpress theme? Or am I allowed to buy a theme on like Theme Forest even if it is my pro website? Or should I use another technology entirely? I also don't know what to put in my portfolio as example but that can wait...

Throw in your $0.02, please!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Robin
Events Staffer

Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:42 am

Hmm...this is what I've come up with so far:
  • Building the site with a framework you're much more familiar with would be preferable, I think. Not only would you have less of a headache trying to build it, but you're more comfortable with the building blocks of the framework and could innovate, instead of using a premade/default theme like 90% of my crappy Bootstrap layouts
  • I'm not sure what kind of software could translate a page on the fly. I first thought Google Translate, but that wouldn't show off your translation skills at all. What if you created two separate pages for each page of your website, like "index-en" and "index-fr", "about-en" and "about-fr", etc.? Would that be too much trouble? And then you could have a splash page of sorts with a choice for the user between English and French...
  • I don't know that you would need a "powerful" website, per se. You might just need pages like "about," "contact," "portfolio" or "work samples," etc., and those things could be pretty easily coded without need of any additional software. (If I misunderstood your question/statement, my apologies! xD)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:03 pm

You understood perfectly! The only thing is I don't need a software to translate my site on the fly, I need just... for example, on WordPress you can use a plugin to toggle between two pages with the same content but one in one language and one in the other. That would be the only reason I thought about using a WP site, honestly. The translation I can do myself.

Laura

Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:18 pm

I can't really help with the back-end stuff for your portfolio (Masao probably can!) but I can say that you should try to create original content for your own personal portfolio. If you code, I would do all the code by hand. If you design, I would design it yourself rather than use a template. Many designers and artists do use templates for their portfolios in order to save time (esp since many may not be programmers) but I believe you will get noticed a lot more if your portfolio is entirely created by you. :)

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:39 am

Thanks wolfrun! I think I'll be okay, I just need to sit down and do it.

Adri, Thank you for the long feedback :D I think first and foremost, my portfolio should be about my translation stuff, because this is what I am the best at and I have a degree to show for it. My websites are nice (and I really like the paperscraps.ca design too!), but I'm entirely self-taught "web dev"-wise and I feel kinda inferior for it.

Regardless, I believe I'm gonna Bootstrap the portfolio and focus on nice, clear typography to put my written words forward. Maybe do something more fancy if I do code examples. My current idea is to market myself as a pro translator who knows her way around site code (and also naughty words but I'm gonna make a separate page for it).

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:44 am

Dude. Don't feel inferior for that. I think most of us are self-taught. And some of us have freakin careers in web dev!

Robin
Events Staffer

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:32 pm

@Nyx: This is how I feel when I look at your web development skills:

YOU CAN DO IT :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:14 pm

Augh, I think I might have to change gears and switch to WP, I forgot that I would need reliable, non-spammy contact and quote forms...

Camy
Administrator

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:27 am

Echoing Contact Form 7 :D
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:44 am

Oh definitely! Contact Form 7 is a favourite of mine.

Still, designing an HMTL website forced me to focus on copywriting, so that was nice. My pages are mostly all written now. What's left is grabbing a theme...

• Information