New domain name

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Robin
Events Staffer

Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Crystal wrote:
Camy wrote:
Crystal wrote:
Camy wrote:I don't recommend GoDaddy though after seeing horror stories with them.
Aside from a couple rough moments GoDaddy has been pretty good for me. O_o
They must have gotten better, which is great to hear XD
I have no idea. I've been with them for almost 10 years. xD
Same here--bought WithinMyWorld.org from them back in 2004 and have had no problems (other than them hiking up the price on my domain >_< but maybe that just means it's getting more popular, LOL!)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Crystal

Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:42 pm

Robin Allison wrote:Same here--bought WithinMyWorld.org from them back in 2004 and have had no problems (other than them hiking up the price on my domain >_< but maybe that just means it's getting more popular, LOL!)
Yeah I remember the renewal price being ridiculous last year. I'm gonna make sure I pay my Dad the renewal cost for this year as he's the one who's been paying for it.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.

Chibi

Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Camy wrote:I just registered dragonebula.net since I've outgrown krescentmoon.net - which I've been meaning to replace. Dragons and nebulas have been my fascination the past years since they're both gorgeous. Dragons more so and I figured this morning "let's mesh it together" and it worked XD
That sounds like an awesome domain name! :heart: I can't wait to see it online and open!

I also bought a couple of domains back in November, namely wallflower.nu (now open as my blog) and rythulian.net, which I may actually turn into my main fandom domain... but I still love eternal-wings lots, so I don't know what to do. I suppose I could turn eternal-wings in a collective of all my domains?

I'm also in the process of finally buying a domain for my portfolio, hopefully I can do that tomorrow! Crossing my fingers!

Laura

Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:26 pm

I was about to write a post soon about why I left GoDaddy. Their service isn't bad but their prices are outrageous; they're a total ripoff. >.< I just transferred all my domains to Namecheap instead.

Seriously, GoDaddy charges ~$10 for one year of whois privacy. Namecheap is ~$3. That's THREE times the cost. >___< UGH. The domains at namecheap are slightly cheaper too and the first year of privacy is free. Plus GoDaddy supports that whole "no internet privacy" stuff. ._.

@Chibi - I have several domains too, with Genrou.com acting as the main collective. :) So I think using eternal-wings as your collective of EVERYTHING you own is a good idea~ :3

Chibi

Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:00 am

@Laura: Thank you for the heads up about GoDaddy! They're one of the few English-speaking registrars that lets you buy .it domains (the extension I want for my portfolio), but I didn't want to give them money because I don't like their CEO. :/ (I don't know if it's changed now.) But yeah, I will definitely avoid them now!

And thanks! <3 That does seem like the most plausible thing that could happen. I love eternal-wings, I've had it since 2009 and I would never let go it. But, at the same time, I feel like it's a "cursed" domain, because I've had it for so long and never done much with it in terms of shrines (even though I have lots of projects), so it feels like I need a fresh start, a "rebirth" sort of thing, something new that doesn't have the negative baggage and that can mark the start of better days, at least for my projects... Not sure if that makes any sense, but that's how I feel, haha.

Laura

Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:12 pm

It makes a lot of sense, Chibi! I hope you can figure out what to use it for. It's sooo hard to let go of a domain you've had for so many years so I can understand both the stagnant feeling and the rebirth feeling. XD Maybe it would help to take stock of everything you have online and see how you can organize it. Domains, shrines, fanlistings, misc... see where the connections are and that might help. :3 Even if it's just a portal site, that can be really cool too~

Chibi

Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Hehe, thanks Laura! <3 I will definitely look into it more and hopefully decide at some point in the near future!

jacky999

Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:24 am

Guys is it better to take top level domains or regional or even brand domain? Any suggestions?

Destinie

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 am

jacky999 wrote:Guys is it better to take top level domains or regional or even brand domain? Any suggestions?
Hi Jacky- I don't know if there's any one that is "better" as it typically depends on what your personal preference is. And in regards to "better", are you talking about price? Availability? Support? Hereis where a lot of other members discuss what domains they have or had owned. You can get a nice sense of the variety and also see what the most popular extensions are.

jacky999

Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 am

Hi, Destinie! Thanks for the advice! In my opinion, I am more concerned about availability… I’m thinking to get a regional or top-level domain. Let’s see.
Going through the thread which you sent. There are a lot of suggestions. Thanks! Also, I did some research on the weekend, I found some interesting information here about new top-level domains. Maybe it can be helpful for some guys in this thread.

• Information