Your "About Me" Page

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Amber

Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:37 pm

With one of my jobs as a manager, I'm not supposed to be discussing my work outside of the work for safety and security reasons. So, I don't even list that job on my Facebook and I'm definitely not going to be listing it on my "About Me" page. Personally, I need to update my about me page but I mostly use it to list my interests (which can be found through my fanlistings/shrines) and take some information off of it. I sometimes wish I still used an online username (outside of old forums which I haven't updated) for my websites still.

The reason being is my current job situation. If I move up, a lot security issues could be possible. I don't care if my co-workers/bosses know what I do online. I mean, my entire family knows I write (personal/fanfiction writing) and have known for years. Some know I do web design but don't actually really visit my stuff or have only visited my personal domain (which links fanlistings mostly now). My company policy is that I cannot add people who are "below me" job ranking wise to Facebook or social media (I could lose my job) and I definitely won't add certain people for safety reasons. My bosses could read through everything I do online and I wouldn't be in violation of that policy by them reading this post now.

If I get moved up in a position, I'm definitely cracking down on who knows who I am online. I definitely really only follow people Tumblr and Twitter I've known for while online (a few years plus) and they most are already my friends on FB. I currently link my website to my FB and have part of my domain name as my username there, but I don't mind.

Robin
Events Staffer

Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 am

@Amber that's an important point about jobs that require a TON of security/clearance. With a lot of our society's lives online now, employers could definitely dig up dirt they never expected to (or snoop around and decide to fire you based on something that doesn't impact your work at all). Something to be very careful about when constructing an About Me page!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Mikari

Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:49 pm

You can't add people on social media? That's the first I've heard about that. I don't really use facebook, but just because you're a manager doesn't mean you can't be friends outside of the job. That seems invasive to me. I personally disprove of jobs that reach too far into personal life like that. Keeping company info a secret makes perfect sense, but there's nothing wrong with talking about non-work related things with anyone online or offline regardless of their job.

Lethe

Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:28 am

I'll talk about "about me" pages on my main domain/network rather than on other websites and social media. I grew up with German websites and back then, it was common not to just link all your sites on your network, but also have it function as your personal hub - some people ran blogs on the same site, rather than as a separate site. There was a lot of information about them there: which websites they frequented, their hobbies, interests, meaning behind their domain and online handle, and so on.

When I visit the network hubs of people around the community now, there is far less personal information like that up haha, many don't even set up a brief "about me" page, only "about the site". Naturally, when I redesigned my network last year, I thus cut down on all the "unnecessary" information because it seemed embarrassing in comparison. /o\

While I'm not comfortable talking about "who I am" and what I do offline because I don't really associate those things strongly with my person in comparison to all the things I do online (and also because it'd make it easy to track me down, what with living in a tiny country), I'd really like to set up some list of anime/manga/video games that I am into! I love browsing those lists when I visit other people's networks. :D I just have no idea how to set that up because I know a loooot of different things, and the list would probably be very long D:! So far, I've linked to my Backloggery and MyAnimeList instead. <_<

When I redesign the site again, I think I'll set aside a section to talk about what shrining means to me and why I shrine the way I do.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.

Destinie

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:36 pm

I don't really have one. I think I used to have one at some point but I feel like people who visit my domain/fansites know me through here that there's not much I can say about myself otherwise. I also have a hard time writing about myself. xD

I also just noticed that my name is only on a few of my shrines/fanlistings . O_O; Due to this topic I went through and browsed my sites to see what I have. I think the closest thing to an "about me" is my tsum tsum site. LOL

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Destinie: on that, I'm always in the tough position of never wanting to talk about myself but having to sign myself in some way or another, just because otherwise what if someone wants to contact me and doesn't even know what to CALL ME ;_;

Usually I try to drop it in the site page or the footer or something something, just for that reason.

Laura

Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 am

I'm in a weird position about this... I used to protect my identity through handles but now I don't actually care if people know who I am IRL. That's why I dropped all the usernames and just go by Laura now, it's a lot easier. :3

However, I don't actually do "about me" pages. I don't think I ever have, other than maybe mentioning why I like the character I'm shrining. I suppose some people are interested in knowing more about me if they visit my sites often but I just never felt that people generally didn't really care to know. I'm streamlining my collective to be just links at the moment and it'll have even less personal information on it than it does now. I generally save the "about me" stuff for portfolios and whatnot. :)

This does make me kind of wonder if it might be a good idea to have a brief profile or something though. Hmm...

Destinie

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:13 pm

dubiousdisc wrote:Destinie: on that, I'm always in the tough position of never wanting to talk about myself but having to sign myself in some way or another, just because otherwise what if someone wants to contact me and doesn't even know what to CALL ME ;_;

Usually I try to drop it in the site page or the footer or something something, just for that reason.
I think I need to consciously think about this in the future, lol! I think if people can get back to my main collective it's fine but if it's a completely alienated site I should make sure I put something. THOSE FEELS.

I had a weird thing happen not too long ago where I found my name and picture up on a site that was cataloging people that I was somehow listed as a Lt. Sgt. in the military back in 2004? When I was in high school?? I think that started making me reduce the size of my digital footprint.

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

OH MY GOD WHAT
WHAT

AND NO WONDER! DDDDD:
(second-hand fear)

Rain

Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:59 pm

With my latest fanlisting collective revamp some weeks ago, I put up a "light version" about me page. Bascially, it's just a random list of various things I like and dislike. I like reading these things about other people as well, so whenever I find an about me page somewhere, I usually read it. Not because I'm nosey or so, I just like reading what other people are into. I think that's okay but I'd never list my company or anything that personal on such a page. Though, I think it depends on the site, on my fandom related sites I'd do the about me page like I have linked it above, on a professional portfolio etc. I'd be more business-like and maybe even be more detailed if needed. But, to get an impression of the person behind the scenes, a brief profile works perfectly fine for me :ok: .

• Information