Your "About Me" Page

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Robin
Events Staffer

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:10 pm

@Crystal Yep, I've definitely heard negative responses about my interests, too. "You still play video games/build hobby sites/etc.? Aren't you a little old for that?" or "But you're a girl, why would you do [something that has nothing to do at all with gender but people think it does]?"

(My mental response to such things, these days, is along the lines of "Such judgment. Much dumb. Wow.")
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Crystal

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:21 pm

@Robin: Ugh, really! I think it also has to do with the fact that I'm like the only one in my family who does websites and one of the extreme few who plays video games. It could also be the fact that I'm one of the older cousins and most of them are married with kids. I'm nowhere near ready for that so let me play my games a bit longer lol. Still, it is frustrating.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.

Robin
Events Staffer

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 pm

@Crystal YES. The whole "aren't you a little old for [whatever you happen to be interested in]" argument has always rung false to me for exactly this reason. People just don't "level up" at the same rate--just because one becomes a "certain age" doesn't mean all previous interests fall away and are replaced with interests "befitting" our new age. (I speak as someone who will be hitting level 30 later this year xD)

(This is one reason I include my age as well as my interests on my about me page--to show that yes, people in their late twenties can still enjoy video games! LOL :D)
withinmyworld.org

Crystal

Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:52 pm

@Robin: Exactly! I'm 28 but I've matured a lot slower than all my cousins which is part of the reason why but really I just love video games and websites.

(That's awesome!)

Robin
Events Staffer

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 am

Crystal wrote:@Robin: Exactly! I'm 28 but I've matured a lot slower than all my cousins which is part of the reason why but really I just love video games and websites.

(That's awesome!)
I think it's more about personality than maturity. People like what they like--no need to feel guilty over it! And you not only like video games and websites, but you have combined those loves into a great hobby :)

/slightly slightly off-topic
:D I'm kinda half-excited/half-ugh about turning 30. On the one hand, my society-conditioned brain is all "OMG I'm THIRTY and I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING WITH MY LIIIIIFE", but on the other hand my gaming brain is all "OMG I MADE IT TO 30! WOOOO LEVEL UP Y'ALL"
withinmyworld.org

Crystal

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Yeah that makes sense. I don't feel guilty about the things I like although people (certain family members) try to make me feel guilty about them. Pretty much I don't talk to them anymore. xD It's like accept me for who I am or don't talk to me, you know?

Haha yeah I'm kinda like that too lol. I still have a couple years yet before 30 but I've still made it this far even though I haven't gotten anywhere. *cough*

Robin
Events Staffer

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:06 pm

Crystal wrote:Yeah that makes sense. I don't feel guilty about the things I like although people (certain family members) try to make me feel guilty about them. Pretty much I don't talk to them anymore. xD It's like accept me for who I am or don't talk to me, you know?
As we in the South say, "DANG SKIPPY!" (translation: "right on," "accurate," etc.)

(I have no idea why this became slang, but it's hilarious)

One thing about "about me" pages I forgot to add: I did have a bit of info up about my past depression and possible adult A.D.D. on my about me page, but then I remembered future employers might look at the page and be weirded out. Did anyone ever have to remove info you'd previously posted for job reasons?
withinmyworld.org

Mikari

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:45 pm

Crystal wrote:@Mikari: I still have that thing with the online/offline personality. Online I'm a lot more open but offline I am very reserved. Like very. I'm hesitant telling people about the things I like and do because I've often received a lot of negative responses from it. I guess being interested in video games and websites is not something that is appropriate of a woman my age.
I used to be like that but I thought, if I'm going to walk away from that person anyway if we don't share interests and thus they don't interest me, I might as well let them know why I'm not interested in talking to them. I guess it helps that people need to earn my respect before I care for their thoughts and those who seem to me as close minded won't get very far in that. Man I've become so honest over the years. One thing I do if I feel like shutting them up is listening all the fun things about it, and then in a very dismissive tone say, oh yeah and I also earn this much money for drawing and web designing, which I do, but honestly don't see it as particularly important. It tends to frustrates people when I shrug off being able to easily earn money, but if they're not nice, I'll find it hilarious.

Todd

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:47 pm

I have quite a bit of info about me on my site. I'm pretty transparent. I try to make my about me sections more about my interests than about me, but a little comes out in blog entries and such, and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Robin
Events Staffer

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:55 pm

@Todd Yeah, I tend to be pretty transparent on the web as well, at least about various personality traits and interests. (Actual location info, more specific identity info, not so much for safety reasons)
withinmyworld.org

• Information