Your "About Me" Page

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Robin
Events Staffer

Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:01 pm

Just curious to see how people create their "about me" pages, from style to content. Some questions to get you started:

- Do you go minimal info, maximum info, or somewhere in between?
- Do you use or link to the same "about me" page for every site, or do you change it up?
- Do you include pics and/or social media links?

Here's my about me page to get the ball rolling :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Emma
Time Traveler

Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:35 pm

I don't have one! Just a page about the domain, but nothing personal because I'm not comfortable with stuff about me being THAT public (which is also, incidentally, basically why I never blog) and I don't like talking about myself like that. I've had a half filled out LinkedIn account that I never finished completing for this reason even though it's good for networking. Plus, my twitter can be personal enough, which is flocked, and that's enough for me.

That said, I like reading other people's about pages. :D
a spoony bard

Crystal

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:42 pm

All I have right now is this on my blog but I'd really like to move it to my domain because that's where all the action is at. I'd probably add less info to it if I go that way, plus a lot of that info is out of date. I don't currently link any social media stuff because I prefer to keep it all private, and, well there's only about two social media sites I use anyway.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm a very private person and my job is all online, so I try to keep to myself as much as I can get away with. As for what concerns fansites, I lately gathered the courage to reveal my full name, which is a pretty huge deal for me as it unequivocally links my rambling about game characters with my work. As much as I don't like to tie my work zone with my play zone, I can't avoid showing some of the things that I've made for play as portfolio pieces, so might as well fully own it.

Since I don't post anything too personal on the Internet, though, I do put (some) social media links. All you'll get out of it is my artwork, really...But no photos of me on about pages. That scares me too much D:

Robin
Events Staffer

Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:58 pm

Emma wrote:I don't have one! Just a page about the domain, but nothing personal because I'm not comfortable with stuff about me being THAT public (which is also, incidentally, basically why I never blog) and I don't like talking about myself like that. I've had a half filled out LinkedIn account that I never finished completing for this reason even though it's good for networking. Plus, my twitter can be personal enough, which is flocked, and that's enough for me.

That said, I like reading other people's about pages. :D
Yeah, I see how a social media outlet can function like an "about me" page ^_^ And like you, I like reading other people's "about" pages because it's a neat window into their personality. :)
Crystal wrote:All I have right now is this on my blog but I'd really like to move it to my domain because that's where all the action is at. I'd probably add less info to it if I go that way, plus a lot of that info is out of date. I don't currently link any social media stuff because I prefer to keep it all private, and, well there's only about two social media sites I use anyway.
Definitely hear ya on the "keeping social media private" thing--I actually quit linking my Tumblr on my domain because my Tumblr is quite frankly one of the last two places on the Internet where I feel like I can actually be my full self. (The other place is here ^o^) I'm pretty much the same person across the Internet, but I use a little more, uh, colorful language on my Tumblr, which some of my older friends (and possibly employers) would not understand...LOLOL
dubiousdisc wrote:I'm a very private person and my job is all online, so I try to keep to myself as much as I can get away with. As for what concerns fansites, I lately gathered the courage to reveal my full name, which is a pretty huge deal for me as it unequivocally links my rambling about game characters with my work. As much as I don't like to tie my work zone with my play zone, I can't avoid showing some of the things that I've made for play as portfolio pieces, so might as well fully own it.

Since I don't post anything too personal on the Internet, though, I do put (some) social media links. All you'll get out of it is my artwork, really...But no photos of me on about pages. That scares me too much D:
YUP, totally with ya on the "no pictures on about pages." Too many creepers in this world for that. *shivers* And like you, I'm private about my identity online (though if somebody really wanted to, they could probably figure out exactly who I am, lol). I don't mind sharing enough about me to put my site into context, though, if that makes sense ^_^

(BTW: even though it does feel kinda weird to cross the lines between "work" and "play," I'm glad you share your playful creations as part of your portfolio--your creations are just TOO COOL not to share! :D)
withinmyworld.org

Mikari

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:55 am

I used to keep my work and fun separate, which made me neglect my work because it was the one I cared for the least. Don't get me wrong, I took care of my responsibilities, but I did so quickly and in a very disconnected way, with the minimum requirements only.

At some point in relatively recent times I took that wall down and after sharing my fansites with coworkers, I got a job offer revamping and maintaining the company website, it was totally unexpected. Word gets around at the airport, I find it hilarious because it's just like gossip in a sitcom. Somehow the manager heard from my supervisor, who was there when I shared the site with a few people, and ended up seeing my art site. XD The design for the company site is a lot more simple, more so functional than fancy, but if I can pull of fancy, then I can pull off functional, that was their logic, I think.

Actually, because my online self felt cooler and more interesting than my offline persona, offline I used to be practically non-existent, so quiet I was invisible. Then I realized that I could simply leave my "offline self" behind and just be me 24/7. It has been a very positive change. I'm a lot more vocal than I used to be, I geek out proudly and no longer attempt to blend into the walls. Let's face it, the only way I'm going to care about anything is if it involves fun.

I used to be pretty reserved about photos, but though I don't have a Facebook (I find the site boring, it just can't hold my attention) I know I am on other people's Facebooks. A picture to me now isn't any different from someone seeing me as I walk down the street, my face is no secret and snapping a pic without my knowledge would be too easy ( but I'm not sure why anyone would want to, as I don't look like any celebrities). I'm on security cameras every day, I get pics taken with friends, it's just not a big deal to me anymore, plus I can't imagine why I would ever anger anyone enough to be a creeper, (in which case I could simply block them), but I don't do anything strange online or offline so I'll likely stay under the radar.

If you had told my younger self I'd be this open, she wouldn't have believed it. Here's my about page. Refreshing it makes different pictures appear, though most have an outdated haircut, there's only one with my current hair. I only have this on my art site and don't really link it from my fansites, but I do link the site itself, so finding it is easy enough.

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:00 am

I have a tiny bit of information about myself on my fansites and my main collective site. I'm rather private on my sites because I will most likely have to work online under my real name again at some point, and none of my clients past present or future need to know that online I am a smut writer. It's unbecoming for a woman, after all.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Robin
Events Staffer

Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:08 pm

@Mikari: Yeah, I used to completely divorce my online life from offline life, too--then I realized that nobody in my offline life knew anything about all the cool stuff I was making, so I blended my lives together (though not completely). (Also, I love that you name your electronics! I thought I was the only one! And "Mikachu"--so cute!)

@Nyx: Agreed with you there--I try to keep my online identity as professional as possible just in case I get an online job. (Sometimes I fail miserably at keeping it professional, LOL.)

Personally, I don't think smut writing is unbecoming for anyone, though I am well aware that professional clients wouldn't understand. It's merely another genre to me, and it's one that needs some good writers in it, too. :D (And who knows, someday you might get published and famous, and then we can all say "we knew you when!" ;) )
withinmyworld.org

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:12 pm

Mikari: I am very careful with photos because it has already happened several times that someone could recognize me on the street because of exactly one photo I had posted on a site I used to own. Nothing bad happened out of it, but you understand why I'm really careful with these premises, heh. (But then there's also the fact that I am rather easily recognizable...)

Crystal

Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:01 pm

@Mikari: I still have that thing with the online/offline personality. Online I'm a lot more open but offline I am very reserved. Like very. I'm hesitant telling people about the things I like and do because I've often received a lot of negative responses from it. I guess being interested in video games and websites is not something that is appropriate of a woman my age.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.

• Information