Still doing shrines, domains, etc

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Medli

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:20 pm

I keep bouncing back and forth about retiring all my websites or keep them going. I know I am getting to a certain age especially with having my offline life to deal with both a career and family, but letting go of my online life is hard. Anyways, I would like to know if people are still doing it. Are there still people from 5 years ago or 10 years or even farther that are still working on domains, creating shrines, fanlistings, etc?
open the door and let your imagination soar.

Robin
Events Staffer

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 pm

I've been doing fansites/webdesign work fairly consistently since 2003--I slowed down a LOT during my graduate courses (2007-2009) and then again during a couple of rough periods (2011-2013ish), but I've never quit completely.

Mainly when I slowed down, I just tried to make my sites as low-maintenance as possible, with none of them really needing a ton of updates, and only releasing projects I considered complete. That seemed to help me feel accomplished without feeling that constant pressure of "omg i have to update my site TODAY otherwise it looks abandoned and unfinished ;lsdkjflksjdf." (I definitely had to let go of fanlistings, though, because that "updating every two months" thing was for the birds, lmao)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Andi

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:50 am

I am still at it! I made my first website in 2002, it was a fansite about my favorite band, Cradle of Filth. I got to know fanlistings in 2003 but kept creating them for polish fanlisting center, as my english wasn't that good back then. I returned to making them 3 years ago.
I am into webdesign for all these times, making short-living fansites and blogs and small collectives.
But to be honest I am truly dedicated now, when I have more time and my life stabilized. I truly enjoy it and want to keep as hobby forever.

ritabuuk

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:28 pm

There's always going to be things competing for our limited time, whether it is school or work or family or friends or errands or hobbies. But just because you have a lot on your plate doesn't mean that you should feel guilty for devoting time to yourself and doing something that you enjoy -- if anything, times of high stress are when it is most important to keep some time for yourself for unwinding and fun.

There's no age limit on enjoying a hobby, any hobby, but certainly no age limit on a hobby that could be described as scholarly writing and creative expression revolving around analysis and celebration of a particular work of media.

I know not everyone gets fansiting. I know my parents still say things like, "You're still into that Pokemon thing?" or are otherwise dismissive of me making fansites. That doesn't matter. You don't need other people to get what brings you joy. You can't make everyone happy, and there will always be someone out there that will criticize your life choices. Feel free to ignore any snide comments about being too old for anything, and just do the hobbies that make you happy.

If fansiting is something you enjoy and want to keep going, go for it! If, right now, fansiting isn't giving you joy, or you are simply too strapped for time, then it is perfectly fine to put it on indefinite hiatus. You don't need to think of it as a forever thing, as you never know when you'll have the opportunity or when the fansiting bug will strike again!

I'd just recommend keeping your sites up and available to read in some way, because your visitors enjoy reading them, and will always enjoy reading them, even if you know this part is out of date or you'd like to add this part over here. I promise, no one really sees that but you. As a visitor, it can even be fun to read out-of-date things to understand a fandom interpretation before the sequel happened, etc.

I've been making fansites since around 2000. While my update logs of officially announced updates might be kinda sparse, I've got running projects for my sites, and whenever I have the time and feel like updating a particular page or adding to a draft I've had in the works for a few years now, I go ahead and add to it.

Overall, I say, there's no age limit on fansiting, and there's no time limit on when your next update should be. We need balance in our lives, so whenever you can, prioritize the hobbies that make you happy, and don't let anyone make you feel bad for doing what brings you joy.

Janna

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:54 am

I started back in 2006 if I remember correctly and I've been on and off during the years, mainly because my site closed and I came back in 2011 with the network I have now. I may have months when I'm inactive, but I love my sites and running them, I even have a personal blog now which I'm quite enjoying and I want to write more content for my shrines. The key for me is time and patience, sometimes I have lots of time but I don't have the patience to sit down and write haha!

Sometimes I thought "this is a useless hobby", but it really isn't because we enjoy our sites, making them and bringing them to life, designing for them, etc. And maybe other people, even if it's just one or two of them, may also enjoy them!

Bobbi

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:33 pm

I think the only thing that was keeping me from doing them was my job. My time was really limited and I had only a few things I could devote my time to. I'd jump back in, put sites online, work on them or try to make new content. I was always saving content and files whenever I came across them though in hopes I'd have a little more time to return to them. That particular job was extremely demanding, and I had no problems maintaining my sites or working on other projects and hobbies even when i worked full time. It was just too much. :(

I started making sites in the 90's. I had attempts even that far back on Geocities for character shrines. I don't think I will quit or give up. I just don't know long people will be browsing these sites. It feels like the younger crowd doesn't know an internet exits outside of social media. Everyone who jumps into site making now does so with wordpress to make professional resumes or write about specific topics.

There's so much heart, love and passion that's missing these days. I only see it now in shrines and domains from the people who have been doing them.

I get a little sadder each time I do link checks on my sites and have to remove something because it's dead. It sort of feels like stars vanishing from existence. (not that they can't come back or wont, I mean I did, lol)

Stefi
Administrator

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:46 am

I still work on my stuff whenever I have enough time and motivation as I do earnestly enjoy it still. I think finding the time to work on them is particularly difficult for me nowadays, with juggling work, school, and a social life.

@Bobbi We actually had something in the works with our Amassment tumblr blog to help promote our shrine content! Our team has downsized since then, but if I can find someone dedicated to run it with, I'd be down with starting it back up again!

• Information