Something I like to do when browsing websites...

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Janna

Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 am

Hi! How's everyone doing? I hope you are doing great :3

I've been visiting tons and tons of websites lately (including your beautiful collectives and networks, don't think I haven't fufufufufu~)
And something I like to do while I browse sites is writing the webmaster or webmistress a message, either via contact form or email! I am very shy but I've discovered that 1) There's no harm in approaching people to tell them I love their shrines or work and 2) It's easy and the option exists for a reason!

That way I've met my latest network affiliate. I emailed her about her Silent Hill fanlistings because, honestly, I'm a sucker for Silent Hill sites xD And she replied back which made me surprised! But I loved being able to tell her how much I loved her sites and she even asked for affiliation. This is one crazy world.

Anyway, with guestbooks coming back, I find it easier to leave a comment when leaving a network and I almost always do that. What about you? Do you like sending comments / emails / messages to other site owners? I think that's what keeps some people motivated and it shows that their sites are actually being visited and that people read them! So I love to leave small notes of appreciation here and there :heart:

Robin
Events Staffer

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Leaving notes in a guestbook or messaging through a contact form is awesome--it's something we all need to do more of as site builders. Great ideas! Maybe we could start that "guestbook chain" messaging meme again, or create another one. It's great to have those permanent reminders that people have visited our sites and gave a flip about what we made. :)

Side note about guestbooks: i find myself wishing something free and customizable like dreambooks still existed--that was my go-to guestbook for YEARS, and all the other "free" options out there are so ad-ridden and spammy in comparison. (Trying to learn the PHP guestbook setup thing gave me so much anxiety I just finally put up a permanent "comment page" on my news blog and called it a day, LOL)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Janna

Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Robin wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:10 pm
Leaving notes in a guestbook or messaging through a contact form is awesome--it's something we all need to do more of as site builders. Great ideas! Maybe we could start that "guestbook chain" messaging meme again, or create another one. It's great to have those permanent reminders that people have visited our sites and gave a flip about what we made. :)

Side note about guestbooks: i find myself wishing something free and customizable like dreambooks still existed--that was my go-to guestbook for YEARS, and all the other "free" options out there are so ad-ridden and spammy in comparison. (Trying to learn the PHP guestbook setup thing gave me so much anxiety I just finally put up a permanent "comment page" on my news blog and called it a day, LOL)
I second that first idea and YES, I tried customizing PHP Guestbook to no avail. I'm a total noob at scripts so I didn't know what I was doing and the documentation didn't help, so I neded up using Bella Book even though people said it's not so good against spam. I haven't gotten any spam for now, but we'll see haha.

Drea

Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:53 pm

I emailed Emma in that way a while back and we had some good conversations until I pooped out. If they offer the option, sometimes (if we share enough in common) I can bolster my social anxiety and dive right in! I think it's a good practice, brings people together in the end. I need to sign more guestbooks, though.

dubiousdisc
Administrator

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 pm

I tend to have a problem with that because writing a message that is long and tackles everything I wanted to talk about to my satisfaction usually ends up becoming a Project D:

I know that I'm perfectly okay receiving shorter messages, so I don't even know what this comes from...

Drea

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:00 am

dubiousdisc wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 pm
I tend to have a problem with that because writing a message that is long and tackles everything I wanted to talk about to my satisfaction usually ends up becoming a Project D:

I know that I'm perfectly okay receiving shorter messages, so I don't even know what this comes from...
I get the same way. I'm pretty sure when I emailed Emma way back when I came off more than a little frazzled, even though we have a lot of shared interests. It's kind of... yeah. The worst part is when I get distracted and forget to continue the discourse, it's like WELL THAT WAS A WASTE OF THEIR TIME AND NOW I LOOK LIKE A BUTTHOLE. And the more time that passes the harder it is to jump in and try to reconnect. ... I do the same when it comes to calling to check in with my dad... the more time that passes, the worse I feel, the harder it is to keep up.

... but I digress, that's why we have this forum though... all those like-minded people around~

Bothessi

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:57 am

I actually do that from time to time. And often times people are very grateful someone reached out, especially if it was constructive feedback or just simple compliment.

isavarg

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 pm

The best community I had for people supporting each other's sites like this was a Star Wars forum I was on years ago when I first ran a fan fiction site. Folks didn't just leave comments in each other's guestbooks/c-boxes, etc, they helped each other out with graphics, site submissions, loads of stuff. It's a shame that type of community feel is hard to come by these days, and I would say that knowing it was appreciated by others was one of the main reasons why I kept adding to the site, coming up with new layouts and generally having a blast with it. Now, once I create a site (mainly a fanlisting), I tend to leave it alone and it seems that you create things and no one really bothers to reach out any more. I must say that I enjoyed making the site more when that forum was active and around than I do now.

Robin
Events Staffer

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Same here, isavarg. Sometimes I wonder if we all just grew out of doing fansites, or whether it's just too hard to do it now that a lot of us use other things (websites, apps) to stay in contact with each other. One would think it would be even easier to make fansites now, but it just doesn't have the same charm as it used to. :/
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

Janna

Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 am

Robin wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:02 pm
Same here, isavarg. Sometimes I wonder if we all just grew out of doing fansites, or whether it's just too hard to do it now that a lot of us use other things (websites, apps) to stay in contact with each other. One would think it would be even easier to make fansites now, but it just doesn't have the same charm as it used to. :/
This makes me sad because it feels so damn true.

• Information