Your first layouts vs. your most recent ones

Discuss anything concerning websites that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Forum rules
General Site Discussion is for website discussion that doesn't seem to fit under any of the other forums in this category. Shrine Discussions covers discussions about shrine content, Graphics and Coding covers anything visual and code-related of site-making.
Robin
Events Staffer

Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 am

dubiousdisc wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 pm
@Robin looool i'm dead
THE THING WITH THE HYPERLINKS asvgdhsadjklas;d I'll be laughing for the next few days

ALSO what was up with back then and them being HYPERlinks! I mean, I know that's still their name but... back then you actually would say HYPERLINKS out loud, and before I knew what they even were they conjured images of space travel and ludicrous speed and they're just... click to go over here. I guess that's why we dropped the hyper in the end.

Your first layout XD wow, how far you've come! Although I really can't hate the super 2000s swirl filter background...
LOL LUDICROUS SPEED! *click the link* "...they've gone to plaid!"

and YAY my swirl background :heart: :heart: :heart: --I remember making that in Photoshop Elements 2.0 and thinking "omg I just MADE a background that ACTUALLY LOOKS COOL WHATttttttt"
Janna wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 am
In the jrock scene it was even worse. People with domains and fansites were, most of the time, SO MEAN. I tell you, they were so high on themselves, one would approach them or read their about me sections and be immediately put off by how MEAN they were, like: "don't email me for nothing, don't steal anything or I'll hunt your head down, if you don't have decent graphic skills don't even mention affiliation to me" (and their graphic skills were pretty meh themselves xD
I saw that attitude in the anime fandoms too...I guess we were all young and trying to guard our territories, rofllll. I never understood the meanness over graphic skills, though--I was like "hey I can write well and that's just as good as being able to art well!" (Though to some extent that attitude is still present in professional webdesign today, since more employers value graphic design over web content writing and will pay more for it. Unfair! LOL!)
nyxmidnight wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 pm
I have no screenshots but I started out on Geocities. The searing pain of it all xD
Ah, Geocities, where we got our weird button sizing from! LOL! I was never located there but knew lots of folks who were...it was like the Wild West of fandoms over there ROFLLLL
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:52 pm

Robin wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 am
nyxmidnight wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:15 pm
I have no screenshots but I started out on Geocities. The searing pain of it all xD
Ah, Geocities, where we got our weird button sizing from! LOL! I was never located there but knew lots of folks who were...it was like the Wild West of fandoms over there ROFLLLL
Animated gifs with neon green backgrounds because the transparency failed. Animated dividers dripping blood. Red text on black background. Comic Sans. Marquees. Blink tags. iframes not targeted correctly. Links to break out of other websites' iframes. No CSS anywhere.

Pure horror.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone

Robin
Events Staffer

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:33 pm

@nyxmidnight RED TEXT ON BLACK BACKGROUNDS
TRANSPARENCY FAILURES
AHAHAHA

it's like a mad version of "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music!

Transparent iframes and gifs in the background;
Red text on backgrounds as black as eyeliner;
Blink tags and marquees and no CSS;
These are a few of the cringiest things

XD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org

nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Perfection.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies