Something Good

From February 2015 to August 2015, we are challenging members to create sites to subjects that debuted in the 20th Century! Grab your walkman, unpack your SNES, drag out your vintage comics, and dust off those VHS tapes.
Robin
Events Staffer

Something Good

Post by Robin »

Something Good - a Sound of Music shrine

The new baby site has finally arrived!! WOOT!

It's been tested in IE/Firefox/Chrome, edited to within an inch of its little life, and polished as much as possible ^_^ let me know what you think!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Re: Something Good

Post by Mikari »

This is very informative, especially since I'm not familiar with the Sound of Music. You did really well making it accessible and adding lots of detail. ^^
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Congratulations on finishing the shrine you really wanted to make and struggled with! <3

The music is lovely, I'm glad you embedded the videos - it gives the visitor a direct look into the subject! I also like that you included both versions of Edelweiss, since you mention those specifically in the personal page. What a tender song. :music:

The links you've compiled under "50th anniversary" strike a good balance for fans and those new to the subject. :>
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Everything looks awesome! So glad you finished this!! I've never seen this movie.... Yeah. I know. I should probably just go watch it tonight xD anyways! I'll definitely read more after I watch it. But from what I did read, and by browsing the titles of each subsection, everything looks really detailed and awesome!!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

CONGRATULATIONS on getting it done and uploaded! I'll look at it in more details once I'm off work :D
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Mikari and @Megan: YAY glad the site is accessible and interesting enough to make y'all want to watch the movie! :D (I probably should put something like "unmarked spoilers everywhere" xD)

@Lethe: Yeah, I'm glad the video embedding worked out, too! (I figured out what was happening to make the videos play back weird--it was just a setting on my computer xD) I wish I'd been able to find every single song from the film, but I was lucky to find the ones I did--too many of the videos on Youtube took away the actual film scene and just put up audio clips with crappy fanmade video loops, etc. Drives me crazy, LOL

I'm so glad I was able to push past trying to do this site "perfectly" and instead make it a genuine tribute. ^O^ It was a lot more fun this way! :D

@Nyx: Thank you!! :D I hope you like it! ^_^
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Just popping in to ask if there's any suggestions for the site (content, layout, font choice, etc). ^_^
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I noticed it when I first visited the shrine, but wasn't sure whether I ought to mention it... Maybe it's just me, but I think the navigation looks odd in how the links are distributed on two lines, but also how one part of "further info" is at the top while the other is at the bottom. I think it'd look better if the links were split up more evenly over two lines, or at least have the "further" on the second line? Of course, if you like it the way it is or if you've already experimented with it and deemed it not to look good, ignore this. XD

Since you don't elaborate on individual characters on the basic info page, but list the main characters nevertheless, a group image for the reader to visualize what the characters look like may be a nice addition.

I'd also love it if you linked to lyrics of the songs you've provided via videos if you consider that a good idea and not too much of a hassle, but that might really be an individual thing. My approach to music happens via text because it's a) easier for me to visualize the song that way and easier to look at the "content" of a song when you see it in its entirety, b) my English listening comprehension was poor in the beginning. XD (These songs were easy to understand though!) Some people may not have audio available when they browse your shrine, but want to know what the songs you single out are about anyway, so that'd help them too.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Navigation: Yikes, the navigation is definitely not supposed to be on two lines! That looks downright yucky >_< Thank you for catching that!

I'm using this font stack and size for the navbar:

font-family: "Perpetua", "Baskerville", "Big Caslon", "Palatino Linotype", "Palatino", "URW Palladio L", "Nimbus Roman No9 L", serif; font-size: 22px;

I had a hard time getting the font to be big enough to be significant on the page but small enough so that it wouldn't split into two lines. Apparently 22px is a bit too big, LOL...by the way, what browser and version are you running for that screenshot?

Pictures: LOL I completely forgot about any character pictures. I'm so text-focused that I usually don't think much about the visuals past the layout, tbh. xD I'll hunt up some pics online and source them, since me no likey taking screenshots, LOL

Lyrics: OOH good idea! Do you think it would be better to paste the lyrics directly into the paragraphs below each song, or just link to the lyrics and have them appear in a new tab when clicked?
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I use Chrome 43.0.2357.132! I checked now and it's all on one line. :Db Looks so much better!

Hm... Usually I'd go with on-site inclusion; in your case, however, the video page is already quite long. While I don't mind it being longer to make space for lyrics, others might not like it so much? I'd go with linking to them (new tab) or a... "pop-up" that opens in the same tab over the content and is part of your site. I have no idea what that is called. (Do you know what I mean? XD)

Good luck with picture hunting!