Help: Cheerful robots

From the beginning of January 2014 until the end of June 2014, we are challenging members to create sites to non-human characters! Robots, aliens, fairies, animals... Let your imagination go wild!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Help: Cheerful robots

Post by dubiousdisc »

Hello! Today I need a bit of help with a section of my Creature Feature.

The character I'm writing about (Orbb from Quake III Arena) is a sort of cheerful, kind robot with emotions and a sense of humor. I wanted to write about characters who are similar to my character, because I'm sure that there are other characters like this, especially in 80's science fiction. One such example is Number 5 from the movie Short Circuit. Or, later on, Wall-E. But other than them, I'm drawing a blank here. Does anyone know more robot characters that fit this description?
Todd

Re: Help: Cheerful robots

Post by Todd »

Haha, this will be a fun section!

Alpha 5 from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

R2D2 from Star Wars.

Robo from Chrono Trigger was a major character in the game, and had a lot of personality. He might be too major, though.

Mal is Dr. Blight's computer in Captain Planet and the Planeteers. He has emotions and a sense of humor, but he's technically a villain.

E-102 Gamma is one of Dr. Robotnik's robots in Sonic Adventure. He goes against his programming and fights with Sonic and team.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Hmm, I don't know any of these characters (guess just R2D2 slightly but I don't think it quite fits with Orbb anyway) so in the future I'll look them up in their source material (I'm already planning to rewatch the Power Rangers for example, haha). I'm taking note though! Thank you very much :)
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Let's see..

Not sure if you've heard of the 80's Disney movie Flight of the Navigator, but that has a robot character named Max. He starts out pretty robotic, in terms of his personality, but after he does a brain scan on a human (David, the Navigator), he acquires some human qualities. He definitely gains a sense of humor (he was voiced by Pee-Wee Herman after all) and I would say he is kind, in that he is shown to care for David's well-being.

I also thought of the title character from The Iron Giant. He is most definitely a kind robot as he sacrifices himself to save a town from a bomb. He also shows sadness when a deer is killed by hunters. Overall he has a lot of personality. And I wouldn't hesitate to say he has a sense of humor as well, though it may not be his strongest characteristic.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I hadn't heard of either movie! Flight of the Navigator looks like something I'll very much enjoy. :) Same for The Iron Giant (actually just looking at the art is making me go awww at the robot). Thank you for the recs! I'll watch them!
Laura

Post by Laura »

You should DEFINITELY mention Clap Trap. XD I think there's enough similarity in their roles... I'm not sure I'd say Clap Trap is kind but he's at least helpful and he's pretty funny. :D

There's also Wheatley from Portal 2. :)
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I thought of Claptrap too but...they're a whole type of robots, and the most known one is a total asshole...XD I'm not too sure...

Wheatley! Huh right. I kinda forgot about him, haha.

Thank you :)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Yeah, Claptrap is kind of an asshole... he's kind of like a psychotic version of all the nice fluffy robots we all know and love. XD;;

I'm glad Wheatley was more fitting at least. :D

Hmm... what about Legion from Mass Effect?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I don't even remember if Wheatley fits because I more so...FORGOT HE EXISTED COMPLETELY. I'm sorry, Wheatley, it's not like you are not interesting, I just FORGOT
What I remember about him MIGHT have a few traits in common, though! I'd have to replay to know (and I do want to replay Portal 2 no matter what, so).

Aah, well, I don't remember much about Mass Effect and I'm not replaying that one, haha XD I'd need more information to be sure...
Laura

Post by Laura »

I THINK Wheatley should fit, just going from memory. XD But any excuse to go back to a game is a good one, right??

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Legion <- This should tell you enough about Legion to know if he fits or not, without having to replay the series. :9