The Fiction in Fiction network

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Janna

The Fiction in Fiction network

Post by Janna »

I gave my network a new design, no matter how many lovely compliments I got from you about the first layout, I needed to revamp the site, it looked the same since 2011! Haha... Anyway, it's not mobile friendly because I just don't know how to do that. Tried the viewport thingie but couldn't get it to work in mobile so, sadly, it's the way it is! (for now, I want to learn but just don't know where to start).

It basically has the same sections, only with a new look (featuring Lain, explained why in the about section :heart: ) and I hope to keep working on my sites now that it feels so new and refreshed!

I'm also using 200 x 40 buttons lately because I feel they look awesome and 100 x 50 look too tiny :blank:

Just thought I would let you know on what I've been working :heh: Suggestions and criticism are more than welcome, I want to improve and that's one of the main reasons why I joined Amassment (besides meeting amazing people like you all and talking about websites! haha).

Thank you.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: The Fiction in Fiction network

Post by dubiousdisc »

!!!!!! LAIN!!!!

Omg it's gorgeous! And aw, it's ok, the previous one was great too but it's not like you can't go on and make another one :D

...What in the world is the computer you're writing about in the layout section?! Do you happen to have a photo of it? That does sound retro-cyberpunk like hell...

It's difficult to have any suggestions for you because I like what you did so much, the only thing I'd try to do is maybe (maybe, not necessarily) add a little bit more padding to the box with the latest updates because it feels like it approaches its edge a bit too much (or also make the font slightly smaller than everything else). That's such a minor tiny thing though and might not even be necessary if you already like it now (it's not like it impairs readability).

On the topic of making it mobile friendly, I would say that the first thing you want to look up is the @media CSS rule, but to be honest right now I'm looking it up and many of the articles I've been finding are not really that easy to understand, so you might have to do some poking around until you find a good one. Or I can explain you personally, and hopefully I can be more succint than what I've been seeing so far. D:
Janna

Post by Janna »

dubiousdisc wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:59 pm !!!!!! LAIN!!!!

Omg it's gorgeous! And aw, it's ok, the previous one was great too but it's not like you can't go on and make another one :D

...What in the world is the computer you're writing about in the layout section?! Do you happen to have a photo of it? That does sound retro-cyberpunk like hell...

It's difficult to have any suggestions for you because I like what you did so much, the only thing I'd try to do is maybe (maybe, not necessarily) add a little bit more padding to the box with the latest updates because it feels like it approaches its edge a bit too much (or also make the font slightly smaller than everything else). That's such a minor tiny thing though and might not even be necessary if you already like it now (it's not like it impairs readability).

On the topic of making it mobile friendly, I would say that the first thing you want to look up is the @media CSS rule, but to be honest right now I'm looking it up and many of the articles I've been finding are not really that easy to understand, so you might have to do some poking around until you find a good one. Or I can explain you personally, and hopefully I can be more succint than what I've been seeing so far. D:
Oh my, thanks for your kind words and suggestions! I already added padding to the updates, you were right and I also get a bit nervous when that happens haha!

The computer I was talking was the AOL Avant thing HAHAHA. If you google it, you can see it at full force. I think I linked an image in the section and, sadly, I don't own the terminal anymore (why did my parents throw it away? xD I miss it and I could have done stuff to it to work nowadays, I think.) When I first watched Lain, her Navi computer reminded me of my own version of it, it was crazy. Mine was a terminal that only worked to access internet, save files and stuff but it didn't have much storage space and you couldn't edit texts or anything! It was the future in the past xD When internet was starting and people didn't know how to navigate and use it, these terminals were the thing. I'm so glad I got to try it when I was a kid! :D

Ufff I'll have to look up tutorials... I think my site is readable in mobile, I've tested it and it's not bad. But I will learn to make mobile friendly designs one day! *determined*

Thanks again!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Beautiful, beautiful! Lovely elegant content flow and pretty color scheme <3<3<3 (and is that a hint of parallax I see in the top image's background when I scroll??? <3<3<3)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Janna

Post by Janna »

Robin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am Beautiful, beautiful! Lovely elegant content flow and pretty color scheme <3<3<3 (and is that a hint of parallax I see in the top image's background when I scroll??? <3<3<3)
Thanks for the lovely comment! I'm so glad you like it X3
AND. You know what? I made the layout and then thought it kinda resembled parallax designs. But just today I made my first parallax layout (all thanks to you, you are on the credits section of the site HAHAHA) and I was like "Well, I could have done this myself but not really" xD Parallax is such a brain killer for me, now that I finished the design it isn't so much of a pain, but at first I messed everything up and thought of giving up multiple times :D But I didin't! I'm posting my newest shrine/fanlisting in a moment to celebrate huahua.

So to answer the question, it wasn't parallax but turned out parallax. I love that word. PARALLAX. :heart:
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Janna wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 pm
Robin wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:57 am Beautiful, beautiful! Lovely elegant content flow and pretty color scheme <3<3<3 (and is that a hint of parallax I see in the top image's background when I scroll??? <3<3<3)
Thanks for the lovely comment! I'm so glad you like it X3
AND. You know what? I made the layout and then thought it kinda resembled parallax designs. But just today I made my first parallax layout (all thanks to you, you are on the credits section of the site HAHAHA) and I was like "Well, I could have done this myself but not really" xD Parallax is such a brain killer for me, now that I finished the design it isn't so much of a pain, but at first I messed everything up and thought of giving up multiple times :D But I didin't! I'm posting my newest shrine/fanlisting in a moment to celebrate huahua.

So to answer the question, it wasn't parallax but turned out parallax. I love that word. PARALLAX. :heart:
YAAAAAS parallax is a neat word to say! And I totally get you on those first attempts at parallax feels. Heck, that's how I feel trying any design for the first time. Much saving, reloading, occasional fist-shaking at screen, etc. xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Love the layout! Very nice! I'm all for simplicity.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Janna

Post by Janna »

nyxmidnight wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:34 pm Love the layout! Very nice! I'm all for simplicity.
Thank you for checking it out and leaving a comment :heart: