Staircase Spirit

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Staircase Spirit

Post by dubiousdisc »

ROBIN THAT MADE ME LAUGH VERY LOUD

Now we have two more articles!
So!

One is our review of Eternal Sonata. This is a 20k-word essay about the entire game, making it pretty much a decently-sized fansite... except it's... um, well, yeah, not a fansite at all. We don't have many kind words about this game.

Another is, unbelievably, about what we like to call The Football Manager Steam Ad Saga. This will make more (or less?) sense when you read it, I guess.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

OH MY GOD LMAO those football manager ads! I have been snickering and crying-laughing about "a winning boner" and other such things for at least the last 5 minutes s;ldkjlsadkjf and the last paragraph, ah, perfection!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

THANK YOU ROBIN they just spoof themselves don't they

Another one! About the é in (you guessed) Pokémon.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Old news but, our thoughts on The Sims: Bustin' Out

...now the handheld Sims are our newest fandom and we're really into them... we're writing more articles about the sequels and a full-blown fansite for a character (you can easily guess who from the article). We have drawn fanart... bye we're gone

(In all seriousness though, we hadn't played something so satisfying in a long while. They're good games with amazing writing.)

---

On a related topic, we're working towards making the system upon which Staircase Spirit functions free to use for your own blog.

Excuse me if I ramble a moment, but let me give a rough explanation of what this system is designed to do:
  • It's made for people who are comfortable with formatting pages in Notepad++ and prefer to do so, rather than using in-site interfaces.
  • Since you have full control over the formatting of each individual page, functionality can be extended as needed without having to mess with complicated templates. You just put your own classes and ids as needed, you add your own code to the page, and you're set. If you need one bonus CSS rule for one single page, you can put the CSS directly in that page, and it will only load there, and it won't affect the rest of the site.
  • There is a site-wide template, but templates can be edited or completely changed on a page to page basis.
  • The system is absurdly light. Right now, the basic stuff has a size of 50 kbs. Yes, kilobytes! And it doesn't require any databases.
  • While there is all this manual control, the system automates things like filling in the index page with your articles, letting you automatically navigate between them, and so on (upcoming feature: an automated tag page). You can, however, always take manual control over any of these things with a little PHP knowledge.
  • The system can be extended with plugins and so on. Right now, ours is extended with Disqus to add comments to pages, and with the thingy that lets you put in your email to receive updates.
We're unleashing this to the world no matter what, since, hey, we've built it because we couldn't find anything like it around, so it could be useful to someone else somewhere. But I'd be interested to know, would anyone here consider using it?
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

fifty KILOBYTES though!!!

seriously I might just like start that weird project I've been thinking of just to use this amazing thing yall built <3<3<3
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

@Robin :D What weird project?

-----

Two new pages:
a rant about the Dragon type in Pokemon and how messed up it is,
and @ritabuuk's related personal thoughts on the type chart in the Red & Blue manual (not that I don't agree that it's a mess, but my first Pokemon game was Crystal, so I dodged all the confusion XD)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@dubiousdisc I've been thinking about doing a screaming blog about all the really stupid life advice I see going around on Facebook/Pinterest and how it is actually super damaging xD But I also wanted to cover other stupid crap I see going around on social media and present my (dissenting, thoughtful, backed-up-with-facts) opinions...I thought about calling it "Die Mad About It" but then again, do I want something that confrontational??? lmao

Also, oh GOD that stupid Pokemon Blue type chart. The frustration of 20 years past is seething in me at the sight. The "Bad Triangle" looks like a genial Playstation button and I just...what. And then those moments where I was searching for type matchups like "wtf was 15 again?? awwww crap I lost my place sa;ldkfjalksdjfsdf"
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

@Robin If I'm thinking of the same posts, I agree with you 120%, and I want to read that!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

There's been lots of updates ever since -

Pokemon movie reviews: the Entei movie and the Celebi movie. This is clearly a series that is going to span each and every Pokemon movie :D

Pokemon-relatedly, we also wrote a discussion of Girafarig's type and design.

Continuing our series about the Sims handheld spinoffs, our reviews of The Urbz and The Sims 2 DS. One is a glowing review, the other ...not so much.

We had originally posted this one elsewhere, but now it's on this site too - our so-called Cities Skylines Gothic. This is funnier if you are familiar with the game, but we also have little explanations of what is going so wrong with our cities.

Last but not least, a 70k-word review of Tales of Symphonia. Which is a game that we had a lot of issues with, and I understand lots of people around love it, so if you really really love it, probably don't read this one...

And much more is brewing!