Kobyashi Maru - Isavarg's Collective and Indie Fanlistings

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
isavarg

Kobyashi Maru - Isavarg's Collective and Indie Fanlistings

Post by isavarg »

I've a few things to post here. A number of years ago, I ran some fanlistings, but I stopped running them for awhile because I had an illness and for a time afterwards, found I had difficulty concentrating, especially on things like code, and money was also tight, so I wasn't able to keep the sites going for a while. Now that I am feeling better, I've decided to bring them back. This was back in February this year and since then, I've been converting them to bellabuffs from having no php management script at all! The subjects I normally go for are science fiction and fantasy (mainly western stuff, as I'm not a fan of anime and manga.), animals/natural history and a few tv programs I like. I do try to make them more than just 'a fanlist' but I've not always been able to that because I've got to sort the coding, etc, out.

One final thing - I've also been working on a project for fanlistings which aren't listed at TFL, either because the subject is already taken, or because for some reason the owner decided they didn't want it listed there, called Indie Fanlistings. I hope people here will find it useful and the only rules to get a fanlisting listed is that they link back, do things with the website, (adding new link codes, graphics, etc, as well as looking after the list itself.) and making sure that the site is kept up. I also have a twitter account for the project to promote fanlistings that are listed in the directory.
Image Kobyashi Maru is my fanlisting collective, where all fls are run, joined, etc, are listed. I do need to make more link codes, though, as there isn't that many, but I've not had the time to do it yet.

Star Wars Fanlistings
Image Rogue Squadron I've liked Rogue Squadron for years, and wanted to make a fanlisting for them. Rogue Squadron started off as Red Squadron in a New Hope, and became known as Rogue Squadron in the Empire Strikes Back. I do need to do some work on this, though. More codes, the forum link needs updating, the affiliates need updating and I need to do some extra content for it.
Image Wedge Antilles Wedge is the leader of Rogue Squadron and has been since Return of the Jedi. He's one of my favourite characters in the Star Wars universe, despite the fact that he isn't a Jedi. (That's one of the reasons why I love Rogue Squadron too, because the characters show that they don't need to have special powers to make a difference.) There is some work that needs to be done on this and I'll get it done when I can.
Image Kyp Durron
Kyp Durron is an orphaned boy who the Empire sent to Kessel along with his parents and brother, Zekk, because his parents were suspected of sympathizing with the Rebel Alliance. His brother was forced to join the join the Imperial Academy on Carida (the same place that Han Solo went to during his brief stint in the Imperial Forces.) His parents died while in the mines and Kyp himself only managed to get when Han Solo and Chewbacca were captured and spent some time there while on a mission for the New Republic. It turns out that Kyp is force sensitive and he has a rather colourful time during his training to become a Jedi and afterwards. (I need to update the gallery on this one, as I don't like hosting pictures from third parties - they have a tendency to disappear/lose access to, so I'm going to be changing it.)

Star Trek Fanlistings
Image Worf
Worf is one of my favourite characters from Star Trek. If I had the time, I'd probably end up doing a fanlisting for all the the main characters from TNG, DS9 and Voyager, but I don't, sadly.
Image B'elanna Torres
Last edited by isavarg on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:09 am, edited 7 times in total.
Destinie

Re: Kobyashi Maru - Isavarg's Collective and Indie Fanlistin

Post by Destinie »

Hey! Nice to see you around Amassment again! :) I think I need to join your star wars listings!

Making sure all the fanlisting code is in order is so tough, don't you think? Ack!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Really cool collective so far! I especially love that you're giving attention to Star Wars characters that usually don't get ANY love in the fandom <3

I like the idea of the Indie Fanlistings, too, because tbh I joined TFL back in the day (2005? 2006?) and was less than impressed with the cliquey way things were run over there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would have liked an alternative listing source. :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
isavarg

Post by isavarg »

I can't believe how long it's been since I visited this site. I've been working on a Tolkien role-play forum that's taken me away from fanlistings and other sites, and it's still not finished.

As for the Star Wars characters, they are popular among those fans who were around when the original EU books came out. (I'm not sure who, if any of them apart from Wedge, have made it over to the Disney Canon, and Wedge only made it because he is in the original films. I know that he's in one of the new books.) I need to update my list, really as I've finished more since I was last here, but my main project's been the Tolkien forum.

I've also got the independent fan-listing directory up, which I managed to do a while ago, and should have linked to, really. I'll update this properly when I get the chance. I also hope that people will find the directory to be a more welcoming place, too.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Awesome! WOW a Tolkien RP forum, that is a HUGE PROJECT omg. SO MUCH LORE sldjfalsdkjfs;df
withinmyworld.org
isavarg

Re: Kobyashi Maru - Isavarg's Collective and Indie Fanlistings

Post by isavarg »

Sorry for the long time in response, but yes, the Tolkien forum is a huge project, espeaically as I want to make everything as accurate as I can. For now, I've abandoned the rp aspect of it and just gone with a general fan forum for it, with fan fiction and a few discussion boards, etc. (Didn't help last year that the host I had the forum on closed down and I've had to move it to proboards - looking after the software on my own hosting was a bit too much - I've decided that I'm more comfortable with self-hosting non-interactive websites than I am with ones that have members signing up and such - it's just a hobby and if the software isn't easily updated and I have to do it manually to prevent hacking and keep on top of security issues then I'm frightened of messing it up. Bella Buffs is quite small in comparison and I can easily upload everything I need with it.

The fanlistings directory needs some work on it and I moved it over to neocities last year because there was a problem with people getting on to the site and everything will have to be done via e-mail.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Kobyashi Maru - Isavarg's Collective and Indie Fanlistings

Post by Robin »

I definitely get you on the updating software and stuff--too much trouble to keep up with sometimes! I hope the new direction for the site will go well though.

Did the move to neocities help with the fanlistings? I haven't messed with fanlistings in forever, lol--too absentminded to update every two months xD
withinmyworld.org