The JRPG Generator

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Lethe

Re: The JRPG Generator

Post by Lethe »

I love the development in this topic LOL. :heart:

Awww the description of music and keys. ;_; OH MY GOD THE BUTTERFLIES ARE SO CUTE I'M ASDJLAKSJDL I feel like it's very special to read a story written by someone you know (I've said this to dubiousdisc recently too)... Reading that battle scene, I can just see the backdrop of education-related experiences and issues you've written and talked about before, and it makes me appreciate it all the more.

ALSO, YAY, ritabuuk dropping in with a beautiful surprise gift omg. ;_;

Not sure whether I've mentioned this before, but I think a page on the JRPG generator site pooling creations sprung from it might be fun?
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

ritabuuk wrote:That is really beautiful. Thank you for writing this and sharing this. It was giving me such beautiful mental images that I tried to draw it for you.
OOOO SO PRETTY <33333 omG yay!! I love all the detail you've woven in (the cacophonies, the castle in the background, the swirls of music, and each of the little butterflies)! :D Thank you!! :D
Lethe wrote:I love the development in this topic LOL. :heart:

Awww the description of music and keys. ;_; OH MY GOD THE BUTTERFLIES ARE SO CUTE I'M ASDJLAKSJDL I feel like it's very special to read a story written by someone you know (I've said this to dubiousdisc recently too)... Reading that battle scene, I can just see the backdrop of education-related experiences and issues you've written and talked about before, and it makes me appreciate it all the more.

ALSO, YAY, ritabuuk dropping in with a beautiful surprise gift omg. ;_;

Not sure whether I've mentioned this before, but I think a page on the JRPG generator site pooling creations sprung from it might be fun?
YAY thank you Lethe! I agree, it's cool to read something that a friend has written (like reading through the poetry book dubs shared a few months back... :') ahh so pretty :D). It's like "hey I know the person that made this, they are cool peeps, how did they think of this, omg :D"

And I definitely like the idea of getting together a page of offshoots from this most glorious generator :D :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

really really trying not to spam this topic, so y'all feel free to move this off into a new topic if needed...but just wanted to share the newest addition to the file (begins on the middle of page 8).

Also, this part of the story has a music reference that is based on this lovely haunting song--the full melody begins at 0:39 and it's what I had in mind as I wrote. :') (this is the artist's homepage)
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

AaHHH this is SO COOL, SO COOL SO COOL
I appreciate the further naming of Gloriana because all the names in a proper JRPG have to be intense (hence the reason for stuff like Michelangelo etc.)

You know maybe it's just because I've reread it recently but the dynamic between the Lady and Michelangelo is reminding me of The Neverending Story's first part. I'm assuming you read it so I'm not explaining for potential spoilers for others, if not I'll tell you. Regardless the fact that you're reminding me of one of my favorite books is fantastic :D

I can't wait to read more!!!

NO THERE'S NO NEED OF A NEW TOPIC I'm super proud to showcase your stuff in here, you're not hijacking you're IMPROVING IT

I will totally make a page on the generator itself! I'll have to think of a cool way to show off the things :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

dubiousdisc wrote: AaHHH this is SO COOL, SO COOL SO COOL
I appreciate the further naming of Gloriana because all the names in a proper JRPG have to be intense (hence the reason for stuff like Michelangelo etc.)

You know maybe it's just because I've reread it recently but the dynamic between the Lady and Michelangelo is reminding me of The Neverending Story's first part. I'm assuming you read it so I'm not explaining for potential spoilers for others, if not I'll tell you. Regardless the fact that you're reminding me of one of my favorite books is fantastic :D

I can't wait to read more!!!

NO THERE'S NO NEED OF A NEW TOPIC I'm super proud to showcase your stuff in here, you're not hijacking you're IMPROVING IT

I will totally make a page on the generator itself! I'll have to think of a cool way to show off the things :D
YAY I'm glad I'm not hijacking the thread XD

If you can believe it, I've watched The Neverending Story movie but have never read the book! I'm interested to hear about the dynamic and its parallels with my story :)

Also, YES lol I was trying to think about female names that would be just as intense and dramatic as Michelangelo, and "Gloriana" immediately popped to mind--it seems to fit well! (Yay for first instincts, right???)

I hope to be able to add more this weekend--I actually read the story bits aloud to my mom the other night and she absolutely loves it, too!
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Oh my god go read the book like right now, the movie is...well...I could rant for the rest of my life about how the movie missed the point of the book, and the book is one of my top favorites ever, so I'll leave you with one hint: the dynamic between Atreyu and the Childlike Empress in the first part of the story.
That's all!

(One day I'll write a site about it, just you watch, it's been literally 20 years of thinking about this book arhghhhahhh)

I can't wait to see more from you! :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ooooooh okay! I will definitely have to check the book out now because the movie left me feeling like "...ehh??"

I've got an idea for the final battle scene which I might just go ahead and write out because omg it is going to be AMAZING and EMOTIONAL and sdkljksdjfksjdfk so cutscene, many drama, wow. :D
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Well, I knew that even the author was displeased with the movie...and reading it recently, I absolutely understand why. If that had been my book, I would have been crying. We're talking removal and change of major plotpoints - into SUPER SKEEVY ONES, no less - and not even bothering to read the descriptions of what things look like. And we're not talking descriptions that you'd have to piece through the entire book - there's one case that comes to mind where the character is introduced and there's like a single phrase and NONE OF THAT IS RESPECTED. Not to mention that the movie ends halfway into the book...which is where the actual plot starts. D: It's terrible and horrible advertising for the book, even when I was a kid and I got the book because I watched the movie I was like "...this has nothing to do with the movie but it's 3000 times better and how did this happen???".

The JRPG Generator thread: Now With Critique of The Neverending Story
- which to be fair has a plot that is very related to the very concept of the JRPG Generator, so I can claim to not be completely off-topic -

OMG AMAZING AND EMOTIONAL I CAN'T WAIT
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

/applauds all of what this thread has become.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

The long-awaited day (or evening, depending on where you are) is here! This includes the final battle scene starting on page 11 (of 38 total pages...omg I sorta went crazy on this last scene xD). (I tried putting in a bookmark--the silly thing makes it open up to page 12 instead, but at least not as much back-scrolling required!)

If the above link doesn't load for you, try this link, and accept my many many apologies for the sheer amount of scrolling /o\)

I hope y'all like this! I definitely want to expand the story's middle bits out a lot further, but I also wanted to go ahead and write the final battle scene and the epilogue to kind of know where my story journey was "ending." (Plus this highly emotional, active scene was burning a hole in my gray matter demanding to be let out so... xD)
withinmyworld.org