The JRPG Generator

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: The JRPG Generator

Post by Robin »

I haven't worked on this in about a month or so, 'cause I wanted to give everybody a chance to read if they wanted. Mainly I want to make sure the section I added in my last post makes sense, and to iron out any weirdness if it exists. What do y'all think?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I read it! Sorry that I took so long to get to it, but I read it at laaaast

It's so cool! You made everything make perfect sense and you got me into this story neck-deep, that's awesome. THE BARD! OMG

I enjoyed everything thoroughly and I was happy to read it and nothing was glaringly in need of revision, but, if you are looking for Intense Constructive Critique... The only thing I'd personally do is make the ending shorter and denser. That's my style though, it may not apply to what you want out of your writing of course. That's literally the only thing I can think anyway, and I don't even know if it would work in your case so overall

GOOD JOB WOW YEAHAHHHH
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

dubiousdisc wrote:I read it! Sorry that I took so long to get to it, but I read it at laaaast

It's so cool! You made everything make perfect sense and you got me into this story neck-deep, that's awesome. THE BARD! OMG

I enjoyed everything thoroughly and I was happy to read it and nothing was glaringly in need of revision, but, if you are looking for Intense Constructive Critique... The only thing I'd personally do is make the ending shorter and denser. That's my style though, it may not apply to what you want out of your writing of course. That's literally the only thing I can think anyway, and I don't even know if it would work in your case so overall

GOOD JOB WOW YEAHAHHHH
YAYAYYYY I'm glad you like it!! YAS the Bard turned out to be a super cool character, and I almost want to write a sequel (or prequel) exploring his role alongside the Lady as musical co-rulers.

I will say this ending scene was going to be about 3x shorter, but it kept getting more epic and escalating, and then I just ran with it...now I'm not sure what I would cut, if anything, because there's so much wrap-up that needs doing in the final scene. I might be able to cover some of the stuff in the bits I haven't written yet (like the other 11 cacophony scenes I've been too lazy to write yet xD). ^_^;

(Also, does the perspective-switching get too chaotic? I like to do that a lot in my fiction, to show events from multiple perspectives, but I might have gone a bit hog wild with it here LOL)
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Nah I got you on the perspective-switching, it's fine XD

I meant, not in the sense of cut, just in the sense of tighten? Nothing to cut really, just maybe to consolidate where possible? Although I don't know, maybe it's not possible...

NEVERMIND ME ESSENTIALLY I'm just trying to find something to give input on and I guess it's not working agshdjkals

One of these days I really need to make the page of the things inspired by the generator! How would I put your story in it? Do I put a link to the Google Doc?
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@dubs: Hmm, probably a link to the Google Doc would work well! ( probably need to format the file a little better too, LOL)

Also YES ALL THE GENERATOR THINGIES on one page <3<3<3
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Little update: We've added maaaaaany more words in all the lists and the function to generate a master sorcerer, a novice ninja, etc. etc. in some places, so if you felt like your life needed more randomly generated videogame blurbs, today is a good time to press that button.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

We've been working on this with smaller updates for a while now (if you care about the nitty gritty, here's the more detailed update log), but I think by now there's enough new things that you can give it a whirl again. The generator now has more words than ever, plus two new back of the box formats which can generate a prophecy like:
The Last Quest
Do not disturb the arcane imperial glass gem which lies in the wind cliff, lest the balance of steel, wax, and tooth be broken, and the mountains become styrofoam. Follow the tale of Angel, a young ghoul who broke the ancient taboo, and must now journey through fabled ponds and mysterious oceans in search of repentance. Together with the lovely Lucy, a fish, they must find the eight fungal nunchucks and restore harmony to the land.
Don't let the mountains become styrofoam, fight for what you believe in!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Fungal nunchucks though! Sounds like this will involve a trip to the pharmacy lmao
withinmyworld.org
Sophia

Post by Sophia »

Not sure if I responded to this previously, but I absolutely love it. :inlove:
Echo Fantasia
The Horrendous Pirate has kidnapped the necromancers and destroyed China! As young Doctor Steel, a professor, you must embark on an undertaking to find the three shards of The Demonic Arrow in order to restore the land and save all that you hold dear, in a heart-pounding journey with shocking characters and innovative writing.
And it's so awesome that @Robin wrote a story based on one generated game! I could easily see doing that.

RAY GUN SUE
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Heee, thank you both!!