Illuminate

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Crystal

Re: Illuminate

Post by Crystal »

@Robin: It really isn't. I had that problem too of thinking I could be stupid. I was always put in the easier classes and thought I wasn't all the smart. I doubt many kids could learn html by reading a book like I did though and code a website from scratch. No one gives me the chance to be smart. :(

It probably would be that hard to do lol.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Yep, this is why I like the multiple intelligences theory--the question is not "are you smart," but "how are you smart." It allows for people to be gifted in different areas without having to be good at EVERYTHING--because nobody is good at everything!

(I took this multiple intelligences test, with these results :D--it's worth a look if you've never taken any kind of test like that before.)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

That is very interesting! I'm not quite sure what to think on my results. I got high in body smart and fairly low on everything else. Myself smart and number smart I got second highest on which makes no sense because I suck at math lol. Oh well.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I know I said this on twitter a while back but I really like this site and I am really glad you went and took the initiative to create it. It's really important to so many people to have something where it feels like someone is listening or knows what they are going through. Depression has such a bad stigma and at this point in our history I am wondering why it still does and why it's something that other people have some a hard time understanding. But the cause of that, I think, is that most people cannot understand something that they have not personally experienced and/or they have a small understanding of it so they expect people suffering to act a certain way.

Making sites like this is so powerful. I really applaud your work on it! My favorite sections are the myths/truths and your personal stories. Thanks so much for sharing.

One thing I would like to mention is in your list of Depression and other disorders, would you be interested in talking about Depression in PMS and PMDD? I think that this combination opens another HUGE bag of worms. Western culture doesn't seem to take PMS seriously and it wasn't until the mid-80's where PMDD was acknowledged as a real medical condition and the depression is real and debilitating. As someone with this who can relate to your site this is just a thought I had...
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Destinie: Thank you for the kind words about the site! I'm hopeful that it will help fellow sufferers know that they are not alone, and that it will help non-sufferers BEGIN to understand.

Also, I think the depression/PMDD section would be an excellent addition to the "depression and other disorders" page! (I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of it before now, tbh xD) I will do some research on it and put that up soon!
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Just wanted to say that I absolutely love your approach to these things, Robin. Not "I'm not familiar with that, so I won't consider it", but "I see this is related, I will read up on it and try my best". ;_; <3

I hadn't ever heard of PMDD before Destinie brought it up the other day, and it's so true that PMS and its impact on the mental state is not taken seriously most of the time. I definitely think it'd be comforting to read and learn about it on your shrine too.~
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Lethe: Thank you! :D I like to make my sites as complete as possible, and I like to learn about new things--and y'all have had some great suggestions for added content! :D (Must be my English major side coming out again, with the "research" XD)

I agree, PMS/PMDD is not well-studied or even treated seriously, so finding unbiased research may be difficult...but I shall sally forth! *dundunDUNNNN*
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I agree with Lethe! I think you really take such an open approach and are really flexible to new ideas and I think that's super cool! :D

If you have trouble finding stuff or want to know more you can let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out. :> I don't think there's any deep diving articles out there but you might be able to find some good pubmed articles: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=PMDD

They also have ALL SORTS of depression articles holy moly. I did a search for just "depression" and got 337089 results. (Hope I'm not being a broken record over here so I apologize if I'm just rambling on ahah)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Destinie: It's all good! No rambling detected ^o^

Oh, and thank you for the PubMed link, I forgot all about journal research...d'oh!! xD

Yeah, depression is getting covered a LOT now, which is awesome, but the sheer amount of research is staggering. Distilling that down for an informational website can be craaaaazy xD
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I can see that! Wow! It's also nice to know that it's more widely accepted and studied now, even if it's not understood by a vast proportion of society. But maybe we'll get there some day :)