Rigelatin.net

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Todd

Re: Rigelatin.net

Post by Todd »

The layout is gorgeous, dubs! And no worry about affiliation! I know what you mean! It gets complicated, especially when you're friends with a lot of people. I used to have siblings and affiliates and link exchanges, and then I was like, wait, all my affiliates should be siblings, because I got close to a lot of people. lol
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

duuuubs I love this. The whole thing looks so smooth and sleek but what really makes it shine are all the little touches. I love the blinking arrow on hover and the subtle blur on the site images to focus on the subject. And I love the way the title at the top scrolls away. Let it never be said that you don't have an eye for detail. (Of course one only has to look at the gorgeous art at the top to see that! I am completely mesmerized by it. Seriously, how.)

I also am totally into your font choices here. Excellent picks.

Totally get you on the affiliation/link exchange thing; I think I might do the same with my next redesign. Your reasoning was about the same as mine when I stopped doing affiliates, and now I'm finding I don't really find much use in tracking link exchanges either, haha.

The layout does perform a little weirdly on my iPad; the site banners try to zoom in and out every time I scroll up and down. Very odd effect. Looks fine on my phone and computer though.

I'm looking forward to Sneasel! :heart:
tonight fate is the
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Thank you so much Larissa :D
I DID obsess over the details quite a lot for this. Like, several weeks, lol.
And I made the art and then let it simmer for a while and looked at it every day with the eye of "do I still like this, is this good enough for a layout" and then in the end decided that you know what. it's good enough. what am I even yelling at myself about.

I fuckin love Bodoni. I'm going to use that font EVERYWHERE. Nobody can stop me.

On the glitch: HUUUH I have no idea what could possibly make it do that :o I can't test that so I can't figure out what could it possibly be, but if you find out, please let me know!

(Thank you for testing it :D)
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Gonna double post since this is an update:

I made a layout for The Angry Aliens, the layout archive of Rigelatin. Simple simple clean clean. Hover over the red button in the bottom right for some fun. :D

Little fun fact:
the eyeball sprite in the header of the layout archive is the eyeball which I use as a favicon on Rigelatin, which is the eyeball that the little blob in my icon on the left is throwing, which is a Rigelatin from Duke Nukem II. Which makes this layout archive the only layout I've ever made that actually has something to do with the domain's namesake. :P
Laura

Post by Laura »

I love the new layout, dubs!! I think it's awesome that you're using your own artwork for your collective! (I'm planning on doing the same thing for Genrou in the future. XD) I've been a huge fan of your elaborate designs for a while now, and this doesn't disappoint. <3 I also really like how you highlight your sites in this format too. :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@dubs: Love the layout archive's new design, and I had no idea about the connection with the eyeball and your domain name! :D :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

I looooove the layout, and I love that you're featuring your own artwork! I love all the big banners for your sites too. It's a really beautiful design.

Also, I've never been to your /toys extension, and it's AMAZING. Can't stop hovering over things. *_*
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Laura: Thank you! And yes please, I want to see your art on your domain as well. <3

Robin: I AM SNEAKY SNEAKY
And I even have a site to an eyeball character. XD I just love little eye monsters...

Megan: Thank you! :) Hee hee, the toy room is such a silly idea, but I like it.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Pretty layout archive, I loooove. The last 2-3 layout archives of others that I've browsed featured images of various sizes to showcase all aspects of the layout, rather than the uniform rectangle screenshot I'm used to from old times. I really like that.

... I also love that the beauty of I AM² just cannot be replicated in an image.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Lethe: It's really useful in layouts where you worked hard on the part underneath the cut, since the main purpose of the archive is to be able to remember what the layout even looked like! (Well, at least for me...)

It's a pity that I can't actually document that though, and it's a pity that at some point I'll have to redesign since pure white text on pure black background = omg what was I thinking.
I think I'll try to make something conceptually very similar (if not identical) but with different colors and better typography. Now you got my gears turning... :D

---

Adri: Thank you :)
Parallax parallax parallax I'm a total sucker for all sorts of parallax effects XD

There's also that I don't really keep a solid update blog otherwise since I think that anyone who would care is around here anyway, so 8)

----

Speaking of which, update -
Dark Claws has been revamped! (See topic in the plugs :D)

I kinda want to do something with my Quake 3 sites now. Hmm...