Rigelatin.net

Share any other websites of yours that are not fansites or shrines.
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Megan A

Re: Rigelatin.net

Post by Megan A »

I looooove the layout, and I love that you're featuring your own artwork! I love all the big banners for your sites too. It's a really beautiful design.

Also, I've never been to your /toys extension, and it's AMAZING. Can't stop hovering over things. *_*
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Laura: Thank you! And yes please, I want to see your art on your domain as well. <3

Robin: I AM SNEAKY SNEAKY
And I even have a site to an eyeball character. XD I just love little eye monsters...

Megan: Thank you! :) Hee hee, the toy room is such a silly idea, but I like it.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Pretty layout archive, I loooove. The last 2-3 layout archives of others that I've browsed featured images of various sizes to showcase all aspects of the layout, rather than the uniform rectangle screenshot I'm used to from old times. I really like that.

... I also love that the beauty of I AM² just cannot be replicated in an image.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Lethe: It's really useful in layouts where you worked hard on the part underneath the cut, since the main purpose of the archive is to be able to remember what the layout even looked like! (Well, at least for me...)

It's a pity that I can't actually document that though, and it's a pity that at some point I'll have to redesign since pure white text on pure black background = omg what was I thinking.
I think I'll try to make something conceptually very similar (if not identical) but with different colors and better typography. Now you got my gears turning... :D

---

Adri: Thank you :)
Parallax parallax parallax I'm a total sucker for all sorts of parallax effects XD

There's also that I don't really keep a solid update blog otherwise since I think that anyone who would care is around here anyway, so 8)

----

Speaking of which, update -
Dark Claws has been revamped! (See topic in the plugs :D)

I kinda want to do something with my Quake 3 sites now. Hmm...
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I like how you have more than one screenshot of the layout in the archive with different areas and even some zoomed in shots. :D
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

I absolutely LOVE ALL of your layouts, Dubs! :heart: They are all so creative! They're an amazing source of inspiration! :D

How did you manage to achieve all those effects? Did you use a framework? And did you use CSS animations, SASS, or anything like that?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Eeee thank you!! :D

No, no frameworks! They are mostly CSS animation and some other tricky tricks, plus a little bit of Javascript for the title un-stickying when scrolling.

The concept for the top part is that there is a CSS gradient from transparent to dark brown overlaid on top of the picture. It is taller than the screen and the picture is set as fixed, so scrolling makes you get to the bottom of the gradient, which causes the picture to be covered. The gradient is in between the picture and the title (which is also fixed), so the title stays there while you scroll down to the description. From there the JS changes the title from fixed to absolute position, so it can scroll away normally and we can continue. So, actually, it's a combination of different party tricks. XD

The arrows on the sites and the links out are CSS animation though.

The fading in of things when you scroll through them is done through WOW.js which is great fun.

I did not use SASS but I should really start doing that, since it would cut on a lot of repetitive behind the scenes stuff that I'm probably wasting too much time and brain space with.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I just saw this today! I am having a ton of fun scrolling through the new design. I want to make a fancy one-page site so badly just because they are fun and trendy. I think this really fits your collective super well! ♥
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Oh hey I haven't updated this topic in how long now...

Today I updated some stuff!
  • New site: the Rigelatin Resource Repository. It's a bunch of paper textures that I've been holding on my hard drive for the last century, and that now I've decided to slap together and make available for everyone to download and use. The main feature of these textures is that most of them are enormous!
  • Updated the toy room with a link to the aforementioned and a sitemap, since things are getting out of control in there.
  • Added the JRPG Generator's Hall of Fame, now with 100% more Infinite Stones (hey Robin!)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo paper texturessssssssssssssssssss

and YAY MOAR TOYS *proceeds to rummage through toybox like 3-year-old Robin would have done XD*

And omg thank you for the link! omg omg omg <3 ;o; i am not worthyyyyy ^O^
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org