Help with installing Enthusiast 3

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Lene

Help with installing Enthusiast 3

Post by Lene »

I have been trying to work on setting up a fanlisting collective for so many hours --- I think I may have fried my brain.
I am confident in my layout/content coding skills, but trying to (and failing to) install Enthusiast 3 literally has stumped me >__<

I have setup a database and a user w/ password on MySQL and input it on the config.php
I was able to get to the installation part. But my problem comes on step 5. The installation rules tells me I can log-in through the index.php page, but when I open the page, it just shows a blank page with the header: Image I also don't know if I'm using the config.php database variables correctly.
I currently have it as:
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_user = 'databasename_L******';
$db_password = ''databasename_f******';
$db_database = ''databasename_f*******';
Any help is appreciated @__@ Thank you!
the story of the moon
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Help with installing Enthusiast 3

Post by Robin »

I know very little about MySQL, other than wanting to throw it off the nearest cliff every time I work with it (LOL), but I was poking around in my WordPress wp-config.php file to see what kind of MySQL might be in there. This is what I have, pretty much straight from the WP folks (all my info is changed to generic stuff of course).

Code: Select all

// ** MySQL settings - You can get this info from your web host ** //
/** The name of the database for WordPress */
define('DB_NAME', 'databaseuser');

/** MySQL database username */
define('DB_USER', 'mydatabase');

/** MySQL database password */
define('DB_PASSWORD', 'sUpErCoOlPaSsWoRdHeRe');

/** MySQL hostname */
define('DB_HOST', 'localhost');

/** Database Charset to use in creating database tables. */
define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');

/** The Database Collate type. Don't change this if in doubt. */
define('DB_COLLATE', '');

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');
...Now that I'm looking at it, I have no idea if writing your stuff like this would help matters, or if this is WordPress-specific. Agh.

Also, I have this snippet my good friend helped me write when I was trying to make a database back in the day:

Code: Select all

$host = "localhost";
$user = "databaseuser";
$pass = "supercoolpassword";
$db = "mydatabase";

mysql_connect($host, $user, $pass);
mysql_select_db($db) or die("Unable to select database");
To the best of my memory, this did work--that second bit with the mysql_connect and mysql_select_db stuff may be the missing piece for you?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Medli

Post by Medli »

Your version of Enth might be the issue also. I noticed that I was getting quite a few errors and went to the fanlistings.org message board, and one of the members was able to update the script so that PHP was working correctly. That might be the issue why you cannot login. I cannot say for sure without looking at everything you installed.
open the door and let your imagination soar.
Medli

Post by Medli »

Your version of Enth might be the issue also. I noticed that I was getting quite a few errors and went to the fanlistings.org message board, and one of the members was able to update the script so that PHP was working correctly. That might be the issue why you cannot login. I cannot say for sure without looking at everything you installed.
open the door and let your imagination soar.
Lene

Post by Lene »

Thank you @Robin and @Medli for responding!
Once I have more time to look at Enth 3 again, I'll follow up on the suggestions.
the story of the moon