Photoshop Tricks: Resizing Images

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Todd

Photoshop Tricks: Resizing Images

Post by Todd »

Hey, guys! I thought it would be neat if we all post Photoshop tricks every now and then for members who may not think to ask about what we might consider basic things, but might actually be pretty helpful! This post will be about resizing images. If you use another technique, feel free to explain how you do it in comments!

Alright, so! Resizing images is extremely important not only for layouts, but for smaller images we make like icons and buttons. When you shrink an image, you might find that the image looks distorted or unfocused. There is a way to resize an image and keep its quality.

To begin, press Ctrl + 'T'. This will bring a box up around your image (which should be the layer you have selected). Hold shift and drag the corner of the image down until the image is the size you would like it to be. Holding shift is important because it keeps the image proportional, and prevents you from accidentally adjusting the width or height more than the other.

Click a tool in your tool bar (I usually click the "Move" tool), and Photoshop will ask you if you want to apply your transformation. Click Apply.

You might notice your image is blurry. Don't worry. This next step will correct it. In the menu bar, select Filters, then Sharpen, and finally UnSharp Mask. A box will pop up. Set the Amount to 35%. Why 35%? I'm not sure. It's just been the right amount for me and works for any image I resize. The Radius should be at 1.0, and the Threshold should be 0, but you shouldn't have to adjust these. Click OK.

Your image should be sharpened! Do this to any layer you have to resize. It works on text layers as well, though it will turn your text layer into an image and you'll no longer be able to edit the text.

I hope this is helpful to some of you!
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Photoshop Tricks: Resizing Images

Post by Robin »

YASSSSSSSS <3 great tutorial!!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Re: Photoshop Tricks: Resizing Images

Post by Crystal »

That sounds really nifty! I'm gonna have to try it out.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.