Grav

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Grav

Post by nyxmidnight »

Possibly my next CMS adventure?

GRAV, a flat-file CMS

It looks quite interesting for a site/shrine (or a multisite installation) with some basic functionalities like a guestbook or comments or an automatic sitemap and a database populating page templates without having to install the very useful but very big WordPress.

I honestly checked it out at random because I was half-reading this awesome GitHub repo and it just lit up my brain with inspiration, ideas and feelings of SO MANY POSSIBILITIES. Shrines! Collection sites! Fansites! Personal writing/fic archive with different taxonomies that are not just categories or tags!!!

PS Grav also works with Bootstrap (though that's optional) so YEAH.
PSS Oh my god you can make it multilingual :inlove: This might be EXACTLY WHAT I NEED for my Sky Doll series shrine!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Grav

Post by Larissa »

I looked into using Grav a while back, but wasn't able to because my server hadn't upgraded PHP to the necessary yet. It looks like it's been upgraded over the past few months though, so I can finally check it out for myself /o/

I ended up using Pico, which doesn't have all the bells and whistles that Grav does but is a fairly straightforward flat-file CMS. You can see it in action at My Story.

The reason I went with a CMS in the first place is because I had ~30 pages of content I didn't really want to code; in other words, I'm lazy. (I also like Markdown a lot and my content was already in that format.) That said, it did take some tinkering to get it all set up, so I don't recommend using something like this for a small site; use a CMS when it'll help you get your site more organized and make it easier to build.
tonight fate is the