Help me with this layout!

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Help me with this layout!

Post by dubiousdisc »

This depends strongly on the positioning of all your other boxes.

Generally, you want that bar to be width: 100% (or 100% - padding), and unless you did something weird with the other boxes, it should just...appear there. What is it that it currently does?
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Okay, I should be ashamed of myself, but I think I tried to code weird stuff yesterday at 3 AM and then ragequit (I don't even know what I was doing anymore), and then today I ONLY wanted to see whether the bar would work out before coding the rest. I thought I'd only reverse the things I did with this vertical fixed bar and then it'd work out, but then the bar flew around at the top and I closed the editor. (I guess it's not the same after all, don't judge me.)

So, I should code the rest first, then just put a new div below the whole thing with 100% width? :O
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Heee it's okay. just WHY DID YOU TRY THAT AT 3AM OMG you silly

But yeah, actually code the rest first, and unless you did something wrong it should just fall in place.
100% width or like, 95% and 2.5% padding, or more, you know, just -- according to how much air you want.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Thank you, both wolfrun and dubs! I think playing with polka dots is a fantastic idea given the subject, and surprisingly, I haven't tried it yet! I'll give it another shot and report back with my results! Thank you, both!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Thanks so much again for guiding this noob, dubiousdisc!! <3 I think having divs naturally follow one another eluded me because when I make the frame for a layout, I often use absolute positioning or floating divs and yeah, the whole mix-up with fixed divs made me miss something so basic haha.

<3
Laura

Post by Laura »

Megan A wrote:Thank you, both wolfrun and dubs! I think playing with polka dots is a fantastic idea given the subject, and surprisingly, I haven't tried it yet! I'll give it another shot and report back with my results! Thank you, both!
No problem! XD I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
Lethe wrote:Thanks so much again for guiding this noob, dubiousdisc!! <3 I think having divs naturally follow one another eluded me because when I make the frame for a layout, I often use absolute positioning or floating divs and yeah, the whole mix-up with fixed divs made me miss something so basic haha.
This is what I did for the footer for my Rin shrine (coded everything then put the footer div last). :) Here's the CSS I used:
#footer {
width: 100%;
position: relative;
bottom: 0px;
background: #6c1025;
padding: 5px 0px 5px 0px;
text-align: center;
font-size: 14px;
color: #fff;
}
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Thank you for the example, Laura! :D
Laura

Post by Laura »

NP! I wasn't sure if you had it figured out yet so I thought I'd post anyway just in case. XD
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I raged a good bit today (about other coding things too) until I remembered I had to stick

Code: Select all

margin: 0 auto;
into the body tag, too, for it to work haha...

Just posting in case anyone in the future comes across this. @_@

Edit: Also I realized my inquiry should have gone into the coding forum oops sorry.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

THE RESETS. LETHE, THE RESETS. BAD LETHE, FORGETS THE RESETS.