Tutorial requests

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Destinie

Re: Tutorial requests

Post by Destinie »

For PHP Scripts I would like tutorials for storing and retrieving information from databases. I'm interested in writing scripts for creating and submitting forms then creating calls to display information in the UI. Like a directory.

I'm sure this is pretty basic but my PHP knowledge isn't so great. ;-;
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Yeah I can do one that covers the basics. Or do you want something that's specific to a directory script?
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

These tutorials are neat! :D Thank you so much, Masao! :star:

I wonder if you could do a tutorial or two about using Bootstrap/a framework or just grid layouts? And how to make a Wordpress theme from scratch?
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

To make a WordPress theme from absolute scratch, I cannot recommend enough the book WordPress Themes In Depth by Jeff Starr. It's 450 pages of everything, and I do mean *everything*, you need to know to make a WordPress theme armed with just a text editor and a copy of WP. I have it, I've read it from cover to cover, and it's the best tutorial ever.

Hell go to his store and get all four books he's written, they're all great.

Disclaimers: I have bought all his books. They're fantastic.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Masao wrote:Yeah I can do one that covers the basics. Or do you want something that's specific to a directory script?
Something basic and generic would be great! Considering I have almost no knowledge of doing that.

Also a good forms tutorial would be helpful. (IE: making a form with a POST function where the information can then be posted onto the UI, e-mail functions, etc.)
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

I'll get working on that soon, Destinie. Lol I'm a little crazy about form security so it'll be a good topic.
Chibi wrote:These tutorials are neat! :D Thank you so much, Masao! :star:

I wonder if you could do a tutorial or two about using Bootstrap/a framework or just grid layouts? And how to make a Wordpress theme from scratch?
Thanks! I can make one on using css frameworks. Making WP themes get covered a lot, and probably better/more comprehensive than I can do. I can send you the ones I used and if you have specific questions I can try my best to help though.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

That would be great, thanks so much! :D I'm currently trying to wrap my head around Bootstrap at the moment, but I'm open to any CSS framework! Which ones do you use?
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

I used bootstrap for Amassment, but after trying a bunch of different ones, I actually prefer the less styled ones, where you're suppose to build on top of it.

http://purecss.io/
http://semantic-ui.com/

I haven't seriously tried the other ones yet, but eventually I'll get there. http://www.basscss.com/ looks nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the class naming style.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Shit I think I'm in love with what I'm seeing of Semantic UI.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Duuuuuuude I might have to check out PureCSS. I've been working with Bootstrap for the last couple of mobile projects I did, but it's still difficult for me (I r not programmer). Maybe I could make sense of something less rigid. :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org