Shrine in wordpress

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Saya

Shrine in wordpress

Post by Saya »

So I was thinking about it for sometime, but I actually started thinking more about it with my Assassin's Creed Series shrine - which if I manage to pull it off should be huge, just because I want to cover all the series out there.

Now I already started on making layouts (have the one for the modern days and for ac1) but the point is, that the new amassment layout made me think, as it has the rotation headers, which I would put the various images from various games, and it would come easier to actually update it.

Now I know almost nothing about creating themes for wp, my most advanced is taking a free theme and strap my header on it <o<.

I need pointers, or at least: naaah dont use wp, it's a ***** idea.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Camy
Administrator

Re: Shrine in wordpress

Post by Camy »

There's a lot of free wordpress themes that also uses Bootstrap. I even managed to snag some over at Creative Market when it was on "Free of the Week".

Theme making for WP is really all about the includes for PHP and where you want those to go, and since WP has grown huge - mega huge -, just go the free route to save headaches. Though that's my lazy side speaking lol
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Saya

Post by Saya »

I should see if to do something like that °_° because really it's going to be really big if not <.<

thanks Camy
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I think it's possible to do a shrine on WP. There exists starter themes that you can build upon to make what you want.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Saya

Post by Saya »

thank you, I need to decide fast XD, the end date is coming near :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

I think Wordpress would be a great little content management system for a shrine, to help sort pages, generate archives, etc. (Unfortunately I'm still a noob at working with it, but getting a free layout and tinkering with it would likely help!)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Saya: It can be done with Wordpress, but I just wanted to point out that, if it's just about the rotating headers thing, you don't strictly need it - it can be achieved in a lot of other ways. As for what concerns using Wordpress, I've made themes for it in the past and, if you have ever built a template for any type of blog, you probably already know how to go through it. When I make this sort of stuff, I make the skeleton of the layout coded as I would without the blog part, and then I "translate" it to the template tags of the cms in question. But that's just how I work, so your mileage may vary. Hope this helps...
Saya

Post by Saya »

thank you dubious, but it was more for the pages, and similar, it was the structure for the pages, if I decide against WP, I'll do it as i thought of doing them before - every series it's own layout :)
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

I run my whole collective on Wordpress, shrines included so I'm a bit biased ;)

If you are planning to create a large shrine I think it would help you to use a CMS rather than regular .php/.html pages. Wordpress itself includes many useful features and you can further extend them with plugins.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Todd

Post by Todd »

It can be done! I do it. My Tidus site runs on Wordpress. It became a beast, and Wordpress made it easier to update and keep up with.