Shrine in wordpress

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Shrine in wordpress

Post by dubiousdisc »

Saya: It can be done with Wordpress, but I just wanted to point out that, if it's just about the rotating headers thing, you don't strictly need it - it can be achieved in a lot of other ways. As for what concerns using Wordpress, I've made themes for it in the past and, if you have ever built a template for any type of blog, you probably already know how to go through it. When I make this sort of stuff, I make the skeleton of the layout coded as I would without the blog part, and then I "translate" it to the template tags of the cms in question. But that's just how I work, so your mileage may vary. Hope this helps...
Saya

Post by Saya »

thank you dubious, but it was more for the pages, and similar, it was the structure for the pages, if I decide against WP, I'll do it as i thought of doing them before - every series it's own layout :)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

I run my whole collective on Wordpress, shrines included so I'm a bit biased ;)

If you are planning to create a large shrine I think it would help you to use a CMS rather than regular .php/.html pages. Wordpress itself includes many useful features and you can further extend them with plugins.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Todd

Post by Todd »

It can be done! I do it. My Tidus site runs on Wordpress. It became a beast, and Wordpress made it easier to update and keep up with.
Saya

Post by Saya »

oooh oooooh todd, I'm so new to diss, but I love how you made your layout and everything, any tips? I am already working on ac, i mean, i'm hoping to have at least desmond finished from characters before the time is out :)
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

You mean how to adapt your layout to Wordpress?

That's rather easy, here's how I do it. I code my layout as a simple .html page, then I split that layout in three parts: header, footer, index (which means the content). In the header you need to add a code to load Wordpress, otherwise you are left with a .php page. The code it's just one line <?php wp_head(); ?> to be added in the <head> section.

Now that you have all the basic parts of your layout ready you need to turn it into a Wordpress theme. That means you have to create a folder and add some basic files in it, without them Wordpress cannot recognise your layout as a theme and therefore it won't let you use it. These files are the header, index, footer, css. You may add others if you like, as the 404 page template, the sidebar, the archive page, the static page (useful if you plan to have both a blog and static content) and so on.

This is a quick explanation, but if you need more details feel free to ask!
Loki

Post by Loki »

Wow, Sofia, that really helps! I will try this later on one of my fansites. Seems pretty easy.
The Cold Never Bothered Me Anyway

Trickster of Ragnarok Network
Saya

Post by Saya »

Sofia, I will bug you probably next week about it :)
When I have less to do at work :) and I will try to do it :)
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

@Loki Yes, turning a regular layout into a Wordpress theme is not difficult per se. Things get more complicated when you have a lot of different page templates, custom post types…. But you can start with the simple stuff and, as you get more familiar with how Wordpress templates work, move to the advanced stuff.

@Saya Sure, shoot me an email or PM whenever you want. Same thing goes for anyone who would like to work on this :)