What's your fallback layout style?

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
Robin
Events Staffer

What's your fallback layout style?

Post by Robin »

What's a layout style you go back to a lot, or one that you choose when you're lacking inspiration for a new design?

(For me, I tend to fall back on the two-column floated div layout a good bit, lol)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Re: What's your fallback layout style?

Post by nyxmidnight »

Vertical one column layout with header image and a horizontal menu at the top, like here.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
neo

Post by neo »

Mine is very much the same as Nyx! I have done different layouts in a few spots because I want variety. However, it actually really bothers me that they aren't all centered in the screen.

(example 1 & example 2)
I almost always make an image map for navigation just because it feels like I have less limitations. I also try my best to make sure the index page won't have a need for scrolling. (like when you first open it up, all index.php content is within the screen as opposed to scrolling for the rest.) It doesn't always work, but I try and try until I can get it to do this.

My domain & a clique layout are iframes to the left and I almost can't handle it XD. I love my domain layout but I have thought at least once a week, "this isn't in the middle, this needs to be changed!" Possible to have website OCD?
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Wow, Nyx, that layout is great! Simple and readable, but not without graphic flair :D
neo wrote: I almost always make an image map for navigation just because it feels like I have less limitations. I also try my best to make sure the index page won't have a need for scrolling. (like when you first open it up, all index.php content is within the screen as opposed to scrolling for the rest.) It doesn't always work, but I try and try until I can get it to do this.
Me too! I like having a non-scrolly landing page, though I can't always get it to work because I'm too verbose or I wanted a bigger header image :)
neo wrote: My domain & a clique layout are iframes to the left and I almost can't handle it XD. I love my domain layout but I have thought at least once a week, "this isn't in the middle, this needs to be changed!" Possible to have website OCD?
LOL, yes, definitely possible to have Website OCD. I once spent 2 hours adjusting an old iframe layout pixel by pixel because "it just didn't look right." LOL :P
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I'm not sure... Something like this maybe? o.O Lately I've been obsessed with using bars in my layouts, plus this style is just easy to work with. I've expanded on it lately -- like with this -- but sometimes less background images is easier to work with.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:Wow, Nyx, that layout is great! Simple and readable, but not without graphic flair :D
Thank you very much :D I love simple layout. Less is more!
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Crystal wrote:I'm not sure... Something like this maybe? o.O Lately I've been obsessed with using bars in my layouts, plus this style is just easy to work with. I've expanded on it lately -- like with this -- but sometimes less background images is easier to work with.
Those are both cool! I like how big and easy-to-click the navigation bars are--you'll never lose track of them on the page, and yet they still "blend in" well with the overall site design. :D And yay for one-columned layouts! :D
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Hehe, yeah those are my favorite to do. I'm still not quite comfortable with making big layouts so they're all still fairly small (unless I decide to add a sidebar then it gets a little bigger). I never really thought about my navigation like that but you're right! I do useful things without even realizing it lol.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

For me it's either a picture on top and the content under it, or a picture on the left and the content on the right. I use divs too. I usually put the navigation on the picture or on the main page depending on how many sections and subsections there are.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Mikari wrote:For me it's either a picture on top and the content under it, or a picture on the left and the content on the right. I use divs too. I usually put the navigation on the picture or on the main page depending on how many sections and subsections there are.
Cool! Yeah, I usually do "picture left, content right" if I'm going to do a side picture layout--reversing it just feels really weird for some reason. :)
withinmyworld.org