Layouts/Graphics Trends & Inspiration

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
neo

Layouts/Graphics Trends & Inspiration

Post by neo »

Hi ~~~

This has been some time ago, but a while back I stumbled upon an LJ community that posted (weekly?) different sites/things that gave them inspiration in layout/graphic building.

Whether it was resources, images, trends, layouts, etc. I thought it was really neat to see what others were doing with their sites and just in general what inspires people to create certain layouts/graphics. Not that I necessarily want to encourage cookie-cutter styles - but, I just love both layouts that go outside of the box and ones that are in the box.

Does anyone know anything that is like this & somewhat current?
Would anyone be interested in contributing to this on a regular basis?
Where would be the best platform to distribute this information regularly?

I wasn't 100% sure where to post this so if this should have been posted elsewhere, I apologize.
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Mikari

Re: Layouts/Graphics Trends & Inspiration

Post by Mikari »

I don't know of nay sites like that, but it does sound like it would be fun to be a part of one.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Not sure if you are talking about Remixers, but I used to run that along with Kula. :) It didn't run for very long (it was really hard to get a good amount of people to participate >_<), but we had a lot of fun while we were doing it and actually ran a couple successful challenges that garnered awesome results.

I'd be down to start up something like this again--within Amassment or outside of it. :) I know we tend to focus on content creation here, but I think a lot of shrine members are also very interested in how their layout and design speaks to their subject as well! Kula and I ran it separately on our own (I want to say I talked to Todd or someone else about collaborating with Amassment--obviously it never happened, but my memory is kinda blurry atm XD) because we felt like it was something that shriners, fanlisting builders and general web owners alike could gather under. I think it was just difficult to get the community together.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aku wrote:Not sure if you are talking about Remixers, but I used to run that along with Kula. :) It didn't run for very long (it was really hard to get a good amount of people to participate >_<), but we had a lot of fun while we were doing it and actually ran a couple successful challenges that garnered awesome results.

I'd be down to start up something like this again--within Amassment or outside of it. :) I know we tend to focus on content creation here, but I think a lot of shrine members are also very interested in how their layout and design speaks to their subject as well! Kula and I ran it separately on our own (I want to say I talked to Todd or someone else about collaborating with Amassment--obviously it never happened, but my memory is kinda blurry atm XD) because we felt like it was something that shriners, fanlisting builders and general web owners alike could gather under. I think it was just difficult to get the community together.
Now I feel terrible because I kept looking at Remixers from afar and I could never muster up the courage to participate since I didn't feel like I was good enough for it...I should have had some more balls :(
neo

Post by neo »

YES! YES this is it exactly!

I have to echo dubiousdisc, since this was prior to when I joined amassment, I didn't think I'd measure up! lol

But, yeah, or maybe (if it's too much commitment) We could have just a single thread where we could say "This is what is inspiring me now". Or something similar.
And, if it takes off maybe we could do something else with it?

As far as events, I guess I can't really comment on that since I haven't run any before but it sounds like it would be fun! :)
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Aku

Post by Aku »

dubiousdisc wrote:Now I feel terrible because I kept looking at Remixers from afar and I could never muster up the courage to participate since I didn't feel like I was good enough for it...I should have had some more balls :(
To be honest, I felt the same way about Amassment a long time before joining it so I don't blame you for feeling that way! It would've been fun to have you around though, and OF COURSE YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH! T^T Everyone was!!
neo wrote:I have to echo dubiousdisc, since this was prior to when I joined amassment, I didn't think I'd measure up! lol
I disagree! I don't think we had any kind of standard set... anyone was welcome. :) I wish more people had joined while it was running (or we just tried harder to keep it running for longer XD). But I totally think we could have a thread like that here on Amassment, it'd be fun to see what we're all inspired by. I think events would probably have to go through the Events Team, but I know Amassment has had a layout marathon before, I don't see why we couldn't do more of that now. :ok: I'd be happy to brainstorm some design related ideas!
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

This sounds like a wonderful idea, especially for people who are having layout blocks! :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

This would be an awesome idea, especially if it was welcoming and educational for new designers--like offering or linking to good graphics tutorials for newbs (like me).

(Main reason I say that: I joined a "design clique" several years ago that said they were trying to be inspirational, but they mostly just wanted to poop on new designers' works and laugh about how bad they were. Let's just say I couldn't get rid of their link fast enough!)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Todd

Post by Todd »

Aw, I admired Remixers from afar too. Layouts have never been my strong point, lol. I have been wanting these layout/graphic boards to get more use, so if you guys want to post weekly challenges or inspiration posts here, feel free to integrate a lot of what Remixers had here, if Aku and Kula are cool with it. We already have the member base, so you wouldn't have to struggle to get an audience or activity. Plus, we want to aim to have everything designers/shriners want in one place, and this would certainly fit the bill.

@Aku - I remember a link exchange request, but I don't remember too much more. Like you, the details are fuzzy in my mind. Oh well. I wish we would have jumped on it more.