The Other Slipper

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

The Other Slipper

Post by Robin »

The Other Slipper
http://slipper.withinmyworld.org/
seeing Disney's Cinderella in a new light

This is my entry for the 1P1M event this time around--it's a site idea I've had kicking around in my brain for a while, and I finally got the mental oomph I needed to finally coalesce my thoughts into something legible (LOL). Simply put, this site shows how Disney's 1950 adaptation of Cinderella is actually a female-empowering story, much more so than it ever gets credit for!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: The Other Slipper

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aaah!!

Reading your writeup, maybe it's just that I'm not that much in the Disney fandom, but I wasn't aware that people see Cinderella as flat and passive. Like you, I've always seen Cinderella as someone who has to deal with an abusive situation and, honestly, the more I think about it, the more I can say that her portrayal is pretty spot-on.

Maybe it's just that some people don't understand that action isn't always boom explosions. Cinderella has to present herself with her guards high, but the movie is about her private emotional depth. I mean, isn't that the freaking point of the movie? Cinderella and her secret wishes?

Maybe it's also that not everyone can understand what it's like to live in an abusive situation like hers, and that she can't just go and have a big fight and storm out. Her safety has to come first. Which to a viewer who doesn't understand what's going on seems like she's giving up, but that's hardly what's happening here. What we see of Cinderella are her strategies of daily survival.
Many people today think empowering/feminist actions have to be loud, brassy, and angry, but Cinderella proves that one can be calmly self-asserting, too.
Amen to that and I'd frame this quote.

The whole point of Cinderella's plot is that she's in a tragic situation where she's being denied agency and independence. Her greatest and only means of rebellion is to have private dreams. And through the plot of the story, this private fight, this not letting this last part of herself die, is what lets her get out of her bad situation. Like she didn't let go of the slipper. :D

Excellent work, it was a joy to read and I found myself going "yes!" and "I hadn't thought of that, but it's true!" at about everything :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

YAY thank you so much @dubiousdisc ! Yeah, I'm not like super super deep in the Disney fandom, but I'm in it enough to see all the bullcrap posts about "Cinderella is a useless princess," "this film just teaches girls that they have to get a man to be successful," etc., etc. (Huge eyeroll and side-eye at those posts lmao) I'm glad others see it the way I do! :D :D

(Also I could have sworn I replied to this like three weeks ago but I think I may have just thought about replying and then forgot XD)
withinmyworld.org
Andi

Post by Andi »

I must say that this is one of the best analytics I have ever read. You really got me interested in Cinderella again. Plus I love the layout, simple, yet effective :)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Andi wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 pm I must say that this is one of the best analytics I have ever read. You really got me interested in Cinderella again. Plus I love the layout, simple, yet effective :)
Thank you so much! <3<3<3 that makes me happy! :D
withinmyworld.org