ALWAYS || Aerith Gainsborough -:-:-:- RAPTURE || Selphie Tilmitt

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Lulunacy

ALWAYS || Aerith Gainsborough -:-:-:- RAPTURE || Selphie Tilmitt

Post by Lulunacy »

Hello there, community!

This is my very first post on Amassment, despite the fact that I've been in the business of shrine-making for fifteen years now (...woah, that feels old). My first relevant website was Rose of May, a tribute to Tifa Lockhart of FFVII launched way back in September '03, but in the meantime I've worked on other projects. Unfortunately, a few years ago I had to step away from webdesign for a while, and only now am I making my comeback through my brand new domain, Hora-Fugit.ORG.

With Hora-Fugit.ORG, not only am I bringing Rose of May back in a static state, I'm also launching Always, a brand new tribute to Aerith of FFVII, and relaunching Rapture, a shrine to Selphie of FFVIII (and admittedly my baby). I am more than open to affiliation/link exchange on all of these shrines (especially Always and Rapture, which are not yet static), so please do check them out and let me know if you're interested!

RAPTURE // Selphie Tilmitt
Rapture was fully built back in 2008, and will probably always be my most comprehensive character shrine. Although Selphie definitely isn't my favorite game character of all time, or even my favorite Final Fantasy character, she is one that I find to be very misunderstood, and so I wanted to make her something special. Probably because of Selphie's personality in itself, I felt very "free" and at ease writing my articles for Rapture, and thus it is definitely the website I've ever been most myself at, sense of humor included -- which gives it an even more special place in my heart. Because this shrine is my unintended baby, I make a point of keeping it very clean: I have just gone through all of the material correcting spelling/grammar errors and whatnot. Rapture is always looking for new friends, so please drop me a line if you wish to affiliate! Character shrines are so few and far between these days that I'll gladly accept tributes to characters from any video game: the point is to keep the community alive.

ALWAYS // Aerith Gainsborough
So, here's a funny story. This was supposed to be my baby, my ultimate character tribute -- because Aerith, contrary to Selphie, probably is the video game character that marked me the most. I began working on it back in 2008; shortly after I did, however, I started to feel the weight of the responsibility of writing so "properly" and, even more strongly, of making something as special as I meant Always to be -- and so, merely to unwind a bit, I started the much more relaxed Rapture and focused on it for a while. Long story short, I ended up never being satisfied with Always, and so it never even saw the light of day: until now. In fact, my main reason for buying a new domain was to finally give Always a home! While I haven't added anything to the content I wrote up ten full years ago, I finally came to terms with what I do have ready, and decided it was too sad to just let it lie on my disk away from everyone's eyes. My plans for Always are to dust it up a little bit, go over the articles for spell/grammar check, and perhaps work on a couple of new essays (and maybe an official artwork gallery). Always was never meant to be a "traditional" tribute; I always (lulz) intended for it to be an expression of the impact Aerith had on me, and so it is basically an unbalanced dump of the subjects I was personally interested in approaching. Either way, let's face it: the internet has evolved so much that multimedia has become very irrelevant on websites of this nature, so this type of organization is news to no one. With that said, I still love Always -- definitely still love Aerith -- and plan on keeping it up for a long time to come, and the same thing concerning affiliation with Rapture applies here: I'm open to character shrines from any video game, so let me know!

And that's it, I believe. Keep in mind that while I probably won't be making many changes on either of these websites, I am always open to all sorts of feedback!

Sorry for the rant, thank you for listening, congratulations on this lovely shrine hub, and hope to hear from you :)
Last edited by Lulunacy on Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Janna

Re: ALWAYS || Aerith Gainsborough -:-:-:- RAPTURE || Selphie Tilmitt

Post by Janna »

Ohh Selphie is my favourite FFVIII character, so I'll have to give your shrine a read! :D Your sites look lovely, they kind of have a unique style that reminds me of 2006-2010 sites, which I love. I used to make similar designs back then so it was a surprise to see sites with such style now in 2018!

I'm glad you are back at this. I too had to stop making sites but came back in 2011 ^^ Welcome to Amassment!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Hello, and welcome!

I looked around your Aerith tribute a little bit and... It's wonderful?! Old content or not, you have a brilliant writing style. I'm going to enjoy everything you write so much. I stopped reading for now though, because, here's the thing... while I know how it goes, I have yet to play FFVII. (muffled gasps) It's probably going to be my next major game endeavor as my neverending game queue has finally made it there, so whenever I'm done I'll run to your site and binge read. Hell, I can tell it's so good that I kinda want to hurry playing the game so that I can read your site!

Hope to see you around the boards :D
Lulunacy

Post by Lulunacy »

Aww, thank you so much, guys! :D <3 Haha, you should totally play FFVII! I won't go all muffled gasps on you, but it really is a gem of a game. Polygons aren't for everyone these days, but, to me, the game is timeless.

Incidentally, I just finished cleaning up on both Rapture and Always -- everything has been checked for spelling and grammar errors, rewritten where needed, etc. If you want to check them out now, you are very much welcome to! I may still write a couple of articles for Always, but Rapture is pretty much finished.

Now all that's left is (maybe) giving Rose of May a design revamp. Do any of you know of people who (officially or not -- they don't need to own a graphics website) design, or would design, layouts on commission? I would like to try that out, but all the old places I remember are dead :( If you know of anywhere or anyone, I'd be thankful for the contact info!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Nooo, I actually kinda love the polygons, both from back when it was the only way and later as a sort of retro aesthetic XD It's just that I didn't have the game back when it was new, and it has been on the list of "whenever I am ready to play it" for the last... ... twenty years (I KNOW, I'M INEXCUSABLE)

And congratulations on the editing! Must have taken a while to go through all that stuff :O

(The reply to your other question is now in the other topic!)
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ooooo congrats on being in this for 15 years! I started designing in the fall of '03 (since it was the first time I had internet speeds over 28.8 kbps -_-) and I'm still enjoying it a lot. Your sites are so lovely and detailed!!

As for layout creation, I could possibly help if you like my style. I've been getting into responsive design a bit, but I still have a focus on legible, easy to navigate designs...I'm definitely not much good when it comes to blended images or super involved artwork, though, LOL!!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

Ahhh, welcome back, Lu!! I've been a huge fan of your sites for a long time, so it's great to see them online again!

How have you been lately, btw?