Drift Away

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Todd

Drift Away

Post by Todd »

Drift Away
Drifloon and Drifblim from Pokemon
I finally finished this dang thing! So many of you have been prodding me to shrine a Pokemon, and I finally have. It's different from a lot of Pokemon shrines out there; it's speculative, it's personal, and it's very me. I hope you guys enjoy it! :)

I am looking for affiliates and link exchanges! I know my Links page is sad right now. I'll get everyone linked soon! /lazy
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Drift Away

Post by Robin »

Well done! I like all your analyses (esp. the connection with horror films--way to connect Pokemon with something else you love!). And even though I know you struggled with the intro/info sections, those are thoroughly detailed as well. Awesome :D

Also, I would definitely like to affiliate my Clefairy site Ephemera with Drift Away :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks so much, Robin! I'd love to affiliate. I will add your shrine to my affiliates tonight. :)
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Congrats on finishing!! :> The layout looks GREAT, first off. All the soft purples are really easy on the eyes and suit Drifloon quite well.

I really enjoyed reading through the shrine, it's got a different vibe to it and I really like it. I really enjoyed reading through all the analysis!! I especially like how you analysed Valley Woodworks as well as Signposts, those were both very interesting to read about.

I'll be sure to add Drift Away to my links section for my Pokemon shrines! If I ever get my Froslass shrine online we should definitely affiliate. :eyes:
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thanks, Tara! I've been using purple a lot lately, haha. My last two shrines, Henry and Drifloon are both very purple. I'm glad you like the layout!

I will link your Pokemon shrines tonight! And yes! Froslass! Let me know when it goes up! I'll absolutely affiliate. I love Froslass.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Todd,

I really like how you start off with your "Basic Pokemon" page, except it's not so basic! I like how you give us a little background to your own childhood with the games, and point out some of your favorites. I honestly think the only page on this site that is "basic" is the Drifloon and Drifblim pages, but it's always great to have that information there to see! (Especially because I am not that familiar with either Pokemon since I've never used one in my party!)

When I clicked on the analysis section, I was immediately excited to start reading based on the titles and descriptions of each section. Very well organized, by the way! I love how you not only give us the description of it's appearance, but you explain why it looks that way from your own point of view. I think it's cool that you noticed that the hair was gray, symbolizing a stormy cloud rather than a blue-sky type of day! I also like how you brought the idea of an "x" being negative from papers from grade school.

I also love when people play around with symbolism of colors! I think you did a great job describing the purple and yellow, making it unique to Drifloon (especially because you point out most Ghost Types are purple!)

The only thing I would suggest about Fantina's Drifloon is to perhaps get a screenshot of it's anime form when you talk about Ash battling it? I think that could be a nice visual to add (especially if there are any photos of Fantina close to Drifloon, maybe showing their relationship. I would also be happy to take screenshots for you if you'd like some!) I think this because you describe about how Fantina's relationship with Drifloon allowed it to do acts of kindness in the manga for Diamond and Pearl!

AHHH IT'S "IT" ---> My reaction when I opened up the "Balloons" page! I love how you found ways to express the "afterlife" effect through Pop Culture, giving us a visual representation of how this Ghost Type Balloon was created!!

The Signpost page is just awesome! I like how you took a Pokedex entry and made it extremely unique! Bravo on that one!

OVERALL - I am really impressed with how much individuality you brought into this Pokemon site! It's very inspiring to me <3 I will proudly be linking your new tribute on my Pokemon sites this week!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Saya

Post by Saya »

*^*
I need to read this thing as soon as I have some time todo it o/

gratz on getting it up and yay for purple
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thank you so much for your kind words, Megan! I'm so glad you enjoyed the site! Haha, I had a really hard time keeping the Intro sections basic, but I think that's okay. I just ended up putting a message on the index that the shrine is very personal and perceptive, to allow room for my own experiences and interpretation.

I will look for more pictures of Fantina and Loony! I wasn't happy with the one pic I found, anyway. You brought up great points! I'd love screen caps if you feel like making them, but no pressure! Thank you!

Saya, thank you! A lot of people here like purple, haha.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Layout: I really like the watercolor treatment/effect you gave to the header, I think that it gives off a dreamy/illusionary effect. I'm not too sure why, but in my mind, I often associate Driftloon/Driftblim with Munna/Musharna (the two aren't really related, I don't think). In the case of Munna/Musharna, they eat dreams of people and Pokemon, but I can see Driftloon/Driftblim taking off with children's dreams? I think it probably has something to with the bit about them taking children to the afterlife that I think of Driftloon/Driftblim that way.

Content: I like reading about your experience with the Pokemon franchise in your introduction section, and all the pages in your analysis section made for very interesting reads.

I learned a lot about the associations between different symbols and different ideas/themes, such as the connection between balloons and life. My favorite section is your page on the location of where Driftloon/Driftblim can be found in the first iteration of Pokemon they appeared in -- it made a lot of sense after reading through your analysis.

Thank you for a wonderful read.
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Todd! Congrats on finishing your Pokemon shrine! I was so excited about this and it definitely lives up to my expectations. I was reading through it and was imagining a narration from a very creepy nature documentary. I never really gave a whole lot of thought to Drifloom other than "ha, ok, that's cute" but your shrine really illuminated the dichotomy and creepiness of its design. I think I will be seeing it in a whole new light now. ;)

I'll be adding your link everywhere soon! :D