Theorist: Ryugazaki Rei of Free!

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

After being inspired by Lethe's Waterbound and Andrea's Easy Breezy to watch Free!, I decided I wanted to make a shrine (sort-of) as well, so here's a one-page tribute to Rei.

Although Rei isn't my favorite character (Makoto is probably my favorite, duh duh duh), he's actually the character I can relate to the most on a more personal level, but mostly to what I think his flaws might be, in some ways.

Anyway, I feel like I've been staring at this for way too long (especially at the time I'm plugging this), so I'm quite certain that there are probably quite a few mistakes here and there. I would appreciate it if you'd let me know if you find any. Thank you in advance. :)
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Kate

Re: Theorist: Ryugazaki Rei of Free!

Post by Kate »

A Rei shrine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \\(; U ;)// This makes me so happy to see!!! I loved your analysis of his character; your writing is so clean! *__* I really enjoyed reading all the sections of your shrine ahh and the color scheme of it all is perfect! Rei is such a sweet heart, and this shrine is a wonderful tribute to him. You did a GREAT job!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU NOT ONLY CHECKED OUT OR SHRINES, BUT FINISHED A FREE! SHRINE SO SOON AFTERWARDS OMG. THIS IS SO GREAT. MORE FREE! SHRINES OMG. I'M SO HAPPY. ;___________;

Your layout is so simple and cute and so Rei; I love the gentle colours so much omg...

I love your focus throughout this shrine and you laid out Rei and his insecurities very well (succeeding at looking past the jokes to make them real and relatable), and your part about "Bonds" captures both his relationships as a whole and his journey. <3 And "Symbolic butterfly" is such a nice way to conclude that part of the shrine (your favicon gooosh). Honestly, out of Free!'s characters, I probably like Rei's "arc(s)" and perspective the most.

AND I LOVE THAT YOU PUT SAILOR MOON IN THERE 1) because it's iconic, 2) because yes, those Sailor Moon memes were everywhere when Free! started hahaha. I love such playful elements in shrines soooo much, and I love both Reis, and the mentions of the Hong Kong localization are so interesting! :O :O It's also such a great way to address some more of Rei's personality traits that haven't been mentioned before.

Thank you so much for the shoutout to our Dynamic Duo shrines. <3 <3 <3 I will link you in a moment!! :D

And I'll shoot you a quick PM regarding some typos. <3

/rolls around in Free! shrines some more

/stares at Kate's project list
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

WOOOOOOOOOO WELL DONE! I am loving all the content and the beautiful collapse/expand functionality that makes the shrine so approachable and easy to read through. The Sailor Moon connection is an unexpected gem, too! :D :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I will probably have more to say later but looks great so far, Fiona! I really love what I have read and I also think it's super nice to see you jump on the Free! shrines. (I just love when people are inspired by other people's shrines, that's so nice!)

I love how the site is organized, it's simple to traverse, and the writing is so nice and clear. I am familiar with the character so I have that background while reading the shrine. I think you highlighted his character perfectly and I really love the title of the site!

Thanks for sharing! ♥
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Wooow, seeing so many Free! shrines is making me so happy! This one is exceptional, you did a great job on it. The navigation, especially, makes the shrine really easy to read and navigate, I like it a lot. The colour theme also matches with Rei very well, I think.

All of your articles were really well done, but the one titled 'Beneath the Surface' was really well done imo. You captured Rei very well!
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

Thank you for your kind comments, everyone! But most of all, thank you for taking the time to read my shrine, that means a lot to me. :)

@Kate: I'm super excited for the Rin shrine on your project list! :D
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

I think it's cool that you decided to shrine a character that wasn't your favorite, but easiest to relate to... I think that I need to start thinking like that as well! I like how your tribute is set up, and although it is a "one-pager," it is filled with tons of content! I also like how many images you use on each section! It really adds to the text and makes it more fun to read. Great job :D
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Anise

Post by Anise »

I love the navigation! I also really enjoyed the section comparing him to BSSM's Rei.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Rei is my favorite character from Free! so I'm really, really excited to see this shrine!! Echoing Megan, I really like that you tackled a shrine to a character that you relate to even though he's not necessarily your favorite; your connection to the character really shines through in your writing!! My favorite sections are the animal section (sighhh what an awesome analysis!) and the comparisons with Sailor Mars (my first Rei of light). :music: :heart: