In Another Dream: Chikyuu wa Boku ga Mawasu

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Lethe

Re: In Another Dream: Chikyuu wa Boku ga Mawasu

Post by Lethe »

omggggggggggg WHAT HAPPENED IN THIS TOPIC OVER NIGHT :pale2: :pale2: :pale2: I just. omg. I teared up reading these lovely feedbacks omg. ;_________; Thank you so much, everyone. ;________;

can we make forum groups/titles for the tl;dr and capslock squads

@Megan: I LOVE that you always gush about all the random stuff!! :heart: :heart: :star: Section/page titles are always one of my favourite elements in any shrine, and I love it when I can get creative. I rewrote some of these several times, so I'm so happy you love these!! <3 (I remember your comment on my Kyoko shrine. :heart: )

HEHEHE my fellow Kingdom Hearts fan. <33333 (One of my favourite things while working on this was Samantha going wtf & "what's up with Naminé????" at me all the time lmao.)

I'm so happy you've enjoyed this shrine that much, and that you'll be reading the manga! :heart: :heart: :heart:

@Aku: OMG PLZ NO SHAME FOR CAPSLOCKING, EVERYONE CAN TOTALLY BE THAT PERSON. WHAT WILL THE CAPSLOCK QUEEN SAY WHEN SHE GETS TO THIS TOPIC AND SEES THOSE BLASPHEMOUS LINES OF YOURS. Also, I'm amused you obviously went and checked out the "making of" page already. <O><O>

everyone don't read the next few paragraphs IT'S JUST WALL OF CHEESE I AM SORRY

Aku your comment omgggggggggggggg. ;_; I'm so emotional rn. ;_______; (Getting flashbacks of Champion's first survey with roles reversed tbh. SORRY FOR BEING EMBARRASSING.)

It's... so incredible that you left such long and thoughtful feedback on a shrine without having read the shrine. (Thank you so much for taking the time to leave it omg.) I can't... imagine leaving one such comment myself (having so many words on design itself, that is), and yours is one of those instances at Amassment that truly make me appreciate how enriched the community is by having people from so many different backgrounds - especially with the age group we have now, as backgrounds are "more homogenous" when everyone is still attending school.

I always learn so much from the things you post, and get so inspired by the things you say and make - even now, when reading this feedback, I feel like I've learned more. You put things into words that I didn't formally learn or that I might not have been conscious of (even as I implement them), and your design viewpoint is so so so interesting and valuable to me. Thank you so much for sharing it with us, and for taking the time for me. ;_; :heart:

I'm amused at what you said about the "header", because that thought did cross my mind: I was wondering whether I should give that div an id or whether to use the HTML5 header tag haha. I went with the former in the end, but... you putting it like that makes me appreciate the "header" all the more. ;_; I don't even know what to say about the remark that it's exactly what you'd associate with me omg. ;________;

I am enamoured with what you said about manga in particular. Manga is my biggest passion, and despite "anime/manga" being regarded as one big passion in most contexts for obvious reasons, manga is really special to me!! I've always known that the placement of panels and the control over every single stroke on the page along with the fact that your gaze can linger on them for as long as you like are what make me love manga so much, but what you've said about SPACE and RHYTHM is so lovely. ;_; :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: And then you apply it to my design. :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

As a big fan of you and your designs, I'm so happy and touched that you hold this shrine in such high esteem. :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob: Thank you so very much for all the things you've given me.

@Robin: Robin, I'm so happy that I always reach you with designs reminiscent of books and other prints - I always get so happy every time you say that! :heart: :music: The character gallery is a major reason I made the shrine hehe, I'm a sucker for girls in comfy outfits, so I'm happy so many people love it!!

I hope your brain will recover from racing the revamp deadline soon, then we'll be commenting on all those lovely plugs in the revamp subforum together!! <O><O> Can't wait to check out yours.

@Shinju: Wow I am so flattered to hear that I've mastered the art of killing people in a painful but good way. :star: :music: :pale2:

Jokes aside, I am deeply touched by your comment - it's very personal and emotional, and I can plainly see how the shrine reached you on a personal level. It's an emotional shrine to me too, so your comment is everything I could have hoped for. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings as you traversed this shrine with me. :heart: And a big thank you for your words of encouragement and support. ;_; :heart: :heart:

I've been hearing the word "magazine" in relation to shrines often lately, especially in private chats! It makes me wonder what other modes of presentation we could get inspired by as we create our shrines (I know that book-style is done every now and then, and there's one or several in the style of game manuals) hehe. I can certainly think of some things.

IKR THE KH POEMS ARE EVERYTHING TO MEEEEEEEEEE. I'm glad you agree with the dream eater comment with regard to "the ones left behind"!! I was honestly not sure how that section would be received, and though I absolutely wanted to talk about it, never would I have anticipated it becoming THAT long.

Hehe I hope and feel like we'd get along well in the future; it seems like we appreciate and are drawn to similar things and aesthetics including super mushy stuff and heartache. :heart: (I HOPE I CAN SAY THAT. OMG. IT'S PROBABLY EMBARRASSING.)

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Masao: Thank you so much for your comment and everything, Masao!! I'm so fortunate to have you. ;_; Thank you for saving my header for me omg I will repeat this a thousand times. AND FOR THE FONTS.

I am glad that Shuhei's struggles spoke to you through my writing, too. My first impression of him after finishing the manga is pretty much what the mangaka said in their postscript: In some ways, he felt very... boring and unimpressive. I'm glad I decided to shrine this, because it gave me an opportunity to voice my thoughts on the manga's themes - and in doing so, I got to think about Shuhei more. It's when I was mid-way into writing the story section that I understood that Shuhei's story resonates precisely because it is not all that eventful.

Writing interpretations is my favourite thing!!!

Also, WE'RE STILL IN OUR YOUTH!!!!!!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

I'm just gonna sit here and cry. This way more beauty than I can handle at this early hour.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Aku

Post by Aku »

Because I PWOMISED I would read this shrine (and because I keep coming back to oogle at it anyway hehe :heart: ) I'm back with a lil more a lot more feedback! :inlove: Also bawww... you always make me feel so warm and fuzzy inside! I am really thankful to have gotten to meet you through Champion & to continue to interact with you as a friend & here at Amassment! You and everyone else here are always such an inspiration to me. :sob:

IN ANY CASE: Just as in everything you write (shrines, your network pages, amassment comments, champion feedback surveys) you've done a beautiful job and have such a way with words. There's an intimacy about your writing and I've always enjoyed that about your work. This shrine in particular is incredibly poignant and I appreciate that considering the story that's being presented (that I'm totally gonna read after reading your shrine... way to do it backwards Aku BUT YOU KNOW). One thing I really enjoy about your shrines is that you're never afraid to stray from the content at hand, go the extra mile to lend your interpretation, or get super personal. (I noticed this with your Haru shrine as well, and I thought you were really brave to include some of the content you did with that site: the more I see it at Amassment, the more I'm looking for it in people's work, including my own.)

You've got all the usual stuff we see on shrines: a rundown on the story, the characters, important plot points, but even those are refreshing. I love the way you present Inoru's character through her clothing line & manga panels, it's such a unique way to give the viewer a sense of who she is without saying a word! But then there are also your own personal thoughts and anecdotes: the section about the Baku, your correlation to this story in other mediums, your own personal experiences. Doing this is scary as a creator, always has the potential to leave the reader in disconnect, but you tie everything together so elegantly and I think that's more of a testament to your writing to anything else. There are times where I find these kinds of correlations jarring or forced, but it really doesn't feel that way here. (With all of your references to outside stories: I thought it was kinda neat that I ended up reading this shrine after watching Black Mirror's, "San Junipero" episode. You might look into that if you haven't seen it! Not 100% dream related but very much parallel worlds/alternate realities related.)

My favorite section is "Dream Journeys", mostly because dreams have always been something that fascinated me as well: both in media and my own personal dreams. (I'm a vivid dreamer with at times crazy nightmares/night terrors. I constantly analyze them and even kept a dream diary at one point... so I can relate to your thoughts here.) I also love that this section was just so personal. It didn't have anything to do specifically with the characters or the story, but with what the manga's overarching themes made you feel and why it pulled you in. As I've been struggling to "write" for much more minor characters than I'm used to, and even question why they evoke so much emotion from me despite that--thinking about your subject from a broader perspective is something I appreciate in your writing a lot, and something I want to be inspired by myself!

BEFORE I WRITE YOU ANOTHER BIBLE I JUST WANNA SAY AMAZING WORK, AGAIN! :sob: :sob: :sob: I almost adore your design even more now that I can see the narrative reasoning behind your decisions: "This layout’s alternating colours are meant to reflect the back-and-forth between sleeping and waking: the realm of dreams." akdfjlavsdf so good. <33 ALSO my heart may or may not have skipped a beat when I finally realized why you wanted to release the shrine on Halloween. :blush:

Thank you for sharing this shrine & very personal side of yourself with us Lethe, it was really inspirational for me to read through this! I enjoyed it a lot despite knowing nothing about the manga, and on top of that I'm motivated to read it, which is even cooler! I obviously need to hit you up about some dream-related stories. OuO
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

This layout is absolutely gorgeous!! :heart: I totally agree with that Robin said, this reads like a book and is very easy on the eyes! I love the amount of content and dedication you put into this shrine, even though the subject is a short manga. Unfortunately I can't read it yet because I would like to read the manga first, but this has definitely made me want to check it out!

Again, amazing job on the layout and on this fansite as a whole! :star:
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

I have told you my thoughts on this already, but I'm going to write MORE. I really love this shrine. This is such a personal and impressive work, and I'm still thinking about it days after I've read it. It's such a beautiful tribute to a manga series, and the writing has personally touched me. I think the main character (and the way you write about him) reminds me a lot of myself and where I currently am at in my life, and I love how you depicted the character. I really like the overall discussion of relationships and moving on in life and how certain relationships are meant to fade away. Just feels all over the place. ;_;

I really love the design. I love the contrasting colors and why you chose to design the site in this manner. Every little detail is amazing, and they pull together to create just a marvelous layout. The manga artwork looks amazing as well alongside everything else. I really like the outfit gallery because she's cute, and I love the areas where you compare her to other dream eaters in media.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I somehow didn't reply to this topic for three weeks I'M SO SORRY, IT'S STUFF. ;_;

Thank you so much for all of your lovely comments omgggg. ;_________; I'm so happy that this shrine is so well-liked!! Really, really happy.

And that so many of you might pick up the volume due to this shrine. ;_; <3

@Nyx: o-omg. /o\ :heart: :heart: :heart:

@Aku: TO RECEIVE TWO TEXT WALLS FROM SENPAI, IS THIS WHAT TRUE BLISS IS. /ascends

o-omg Aku I'm so touched. I feel like you've captured my shrining style and what I value about shrines perfectly with your words. ;___; I really like exploring all kinds of things when shrining (and when visiting shrines, or Tumblr meta), including personal things, so I'm glad when they all find an audience!

I... frequently wrote about my own dreams and nightmares too (adolescence), or, well, used them as a launching pad to write drabbles with in order to process them that way. So yeah, they've been with me for a long time!

Thank you so much for the "Black Mirror: San Junipero" recommendation too - I've received other recs following this shrine, so I'll put this on the list to check out hehe! :heart: :heart: :heart: Feed me all the dream-related stories. <O><O>

AND THANK YOU FOR THE HIGH PRAISE REGARDING MY WRITING OMG I'M DYING. T_T

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

@Chibi: Hehe I'm really enjoying shrining shorter things because it just means so much less personal stress referencing things to nail all the things you want to convey (just because you're a completionist, not because it's required by any means), and because you get to draw out some things in very creative ways to make something short "stick"! Thanks so much for the visit and the nice words!!

@Megan: MORE is always good; we all should join the ranks of the tl;dr...! I-I'm so moved the shrine has left such a deep impression omg. T_T Yes, I definitely see a lot of myself in the situation of the main character, too, and I'd imagine that, when looking from the right angle (not: "plain, boring, doesn't leave an impression"; he's less of a character and more of a concept, a template or stand-in for the reader), a lot of people our age can relate to him.

Thank you so much for your support!! <3 <3 <3 <3
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

OK Lethe, so I've already told you what I think about this shrine in general, but I couldn't not post here, even though I'm extremely late. After finally finishing my thesis, I read Chikyuu wa Boku ga Mawasu and found it very endearing (and I'm glad my first ever manga was such a nice little story, so thanks for introducing me to the world of manga!). Once I was done, I was only too eager to visit In Another Dream again, marvel at the amazing design and finally appreciate its juicy content.

Let me start off by saying that when I originally saw this thread, it was very touching to know that something I created had inspired you. Then I clicked the link and I was amazed that something I created could have inspired something like that. This shrine has such a refreshing, creative and modern design, that my first instinct -- after exploring all of the site's elements -- was to open up the source code and contemplate it. I love everything about it.

As far as the styles goes, your typography remains flawless -- I particularly liked how the blockquotes stick to the manga panels you've selected, and everything about the "inlinew" class (I have a thing for highlighting parts of the content okay). You've also used a lot of different fonts, which is something I'm always a bit scared of doing, but you've managed to make it work perfectly. I'm also glad you've decided to throw the conventions out of the window and go all-out with inline CSS styles, which are really convenient in one-paged designs. And there's also that feeling of "so wrong, but so good" about breaking these conventions but that might just be me :swt2:

By the way, I hope you had as much fun picking off those manga panels as I did!!! And I hope realizing the vision you had after selecting them wasn't as frustratingly difficult to you as it was to me hahahha. Each of the panels you've selected makes sense within the context of the section you're covering, and they add a lot of depht to it as well.

While I'm still going on about the great design in your shrine, I should say that I'm especially fond of one-page shrines that deploy their content in dynamic and creative ways, instead of simply dumping it on a boring container div. And this is something you've done masterfully. Each section of your shrine brings something new for the user to experience, but everything works together harmoniously as a coherent whole at the same time. You've made this user extremely happy :heh:

My favorite part of In Another Dream is definitely "The ones left behind". It reminded me a lot of the headcanons page from Waterbound, with the notable difference that this time you dove into each of these characters that are similar to Inoru. To be honest, I didn't read the part about Kurisu because I still plan on finishing Steins;Gate eventually hahaha. But the bits on Naminé (which I was familiar with) and Setsuna (which I wasn't familiar with at all) were really good, and they added a lot to the shrine, considering that Chikyuu wa Boku ga Mawasu is pretty short (but still surprisingly rich). The description of several different popular Bakus was also really fun to read through!!!

More than anything, your shrine opened up my own interpretations, assumptions and opinions on the manga, and that's what I love the most in shrining. Media impacts each of us differently, and shrines are a way to articulate just how, and it's interesting to watch how your own views interact with others's. I personally felt that the seven chapters only just scraped the surface of what could have been an entire world, and that forces us, the readers, to extrapolate the boundaries of the story and think more deeply about it. While reading, I was haunted by questions like "is Inoru the only dream-eater in this world?", which only open up the way to new questions -- if there are other dream-eaters, how do they interact with dreamers? Do they all act as guides and help the dreamers, or do some of them have more malicious intentions? The fact that I'll never have concrete answers for these questions is both irritating and exciting.

Reading through In Another Dream made me rethink all that I had already thought about the manga, and I'm really glad for that. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Lethe!!! :heart:

(gosh i talk too much i'm so sorry...)
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

You are not late at all! (Still, how has a month passed already???) A-and talk as much as you want, I'm part of the "hit me with a text wall" camp...

I'm still so moved that my shrine got you to check out not just the manga, but manga in general. I know I've talked to you about manga before while you were in thesis hell, and that I wanted to pass you some short manga recommendations for your first steps into manga, but never would I have thought that it'd be this shrine that would be your introduction. aaaaah. It just... makes me so happy because this is exactly what's going to be the aim of the six.oubliette.nu subdomain: to introduce people to manga.

Haha Lucas, I am so amused that my domain inspired part of yours, and that yours then inspired a shrine of mine! :heart: What a lovely little community we have here. T___T o-omg the source code... :pale: :pale: :pale: :pale: :swt: :swt: :swt: :swt: I think it's you and a bunch of other people here who do amazing things within the span of a page, or who point out other well-done one pagers, that made me realize the format's advantages and "specialties"... If there's "only" one page to style, that gives one so much more time and room to (visually) fine-tune and customize each section without it getting too overwhelming - something I can't imagine doing to this degree for shrines that are like 10-30 pages long. (Same for some of the inline-CSS.)

Thank you so so so much for engaging so intensely with my shrine and for taking the time to leave the lengthy thoughtful feedback, both here and on Discord. I've had so much joy talking about the manga with you and will definitely try to find a way to bring up some points on the shrine when I get to it hehe. (I agree with you about all the dream eaters aaaaaaah. I'd love to see more dream eaters from other media, if they exist. Not just the cute collectible creatures.) It's... really great to see other people's viewpoint on a thing that is open to interpretation, so I'm so glad this shrine opened that discussion. <3 <3 <3