Through The Ruin Grey

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Todd

Re: Through The Ruin Grey

Post by Todd »

I saw you playing FFIX on Steam and wondered what you had cooking!

This revamp is so good, Emma! I love the layout. I love the new organization. I love extra images on articles. I need to sit down and read it all, but it's been so long since I've played FFIX, I've forgotten a lot of it, so I might wait until I'm done with my replay!
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Yes, Todd, replay it. And when you're done with your replay, you can bring back Pawn.

(also THANK YOU <3)
a spoony bard
Aku

Post by Aku »

I LOVE FFIX LIKE MY FIRST BORN CHILD, just seeing the layout got my heart palpitating because I'm a total lunatic for FF9 shrines and the recent re-release on Steam made me all nostalgic about it on Twitter the other day. Some of my favorite shrines as a kid were to FF9 characters, so please excuse my gross creepiness. :cry: :bleh:

The layout is gorgeous and I love the colors! I would say with FF9 being pretty old-sk00l and lacking in more than 3-4 options for artwork (especially with a more minor character) you did an awesome job for what you have to work with. It's feminine but refined, just like Beatrix.

Having not seen the original shrine (that I know of or remember, sorry! :sob:) I would just say that with fresh eyes, I love the setup and how your shrine sort of follows the narrative of FF9! As someone who has played the game, it's like reading the game through Beatrix's eyes rather than that of the main cast, which is definitely an interesting perspective in itself as she plays such a different role to the game's heroes.

Great work! I'm always so happy to see some FF9 love. :heart:
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

God yes, I love FFIX so much. The rerelease on Steam just brought back so many feelings. I already want to replay it and just...soak it all in again. I want to make so many FFIX shrines. Ugh, so good.

And yes, I didn't want to to use the exact same piece of artwork I'd used for the last two layouts, so the Steam release also let me take screenshots I could use. So very handy.

Thank you so much! <3 While I was obviously trying to provide a bit of context for what was going on in the wider game itself, I very much wanted this to be just about Beatrix, so I'm glad it seems I managed to pull off the perspective I was going for, haha.

I wish there were more FFIX sites out there. It's such a wonderful game.
a spoony bard
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

i am so in love with this layout that i can t even find words ok

I absolutely love Beatrix (and FFIX in general) and I already loved your site before, and now I just love it a thousand times more, oh my god.

By the way, I should probably buy FFIX AGAIN and replay it for the 500th time.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I've read the previous version of this shrine, and wow, you've done such a great job revamping it and making it so much better! I really love that you converted it to a multi-page shrine, especially since I'm not satisfied with several of my one pagers and have been contemplating converting some as well.

Your layout is stunning and uuuugh all the gorgeous pretty details and swirls everywhere!! I like that you used the new Dissidia footage hahaha. Your love for FFIX really shines through (and, as others have said, I am so glad there's a semi-new extensive shrine to the game as this). FFIX is a very organic game and world to me, so I love how you've collected details about Beatrix' reputation to present them on the General Beatrix page, and again on the Love page when it comes to the rivalry between the squads as well as between Beatrix and Steiner. I really like your commentary on The End page. <3

Cleyra is my favourite location too. *_* (Pretty screenshot for the heck of it lmao.)

ALSO THANK YOU - FINALLY THERE'S A BIG (and HD!!) GALLERY FOR THIS MINOR CHARACTER. So gorgeous omg. And all the different versions of "Rose of May"!! <3
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Tara
Freelance Staffer

Post by Tara »

Emma wrote:Glad it looks better for you, Robin! :)

And thanks Chibi! <3 I love seeing all this love for Beatrix, haha. She's great.

When you say links, do you mean the URLs like /introduction/ instead of introduction.php? I do that with URL rewriting. You set up rules in your .htaccess files. I've been meaning to do it for years and have just been playing with it for this site and my construction zone site. Here and here are tutorials you might find helpful. The only issue I've had with it is that it broke my anchor links, so I need to fix that whenever I want to take the time to research solutions. tbh, it's pretty straightforward on a small site like this. It doesn't need lots of conditions. Hopefully that's a bit helpful to you. :)
Ohhh yes, that's exactly what I meant!! Sorry if I wasn't too clear orz;; Thank you for the tutorial links though, I'm gonna try those out soon! <:
I used to practice smiling when i'm feeling sad, y'know.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

@high seraph - thank you! I was in a real state of dissatisfaction about this site, so it's nice to hear people liked it before the revamp! (and I mean maybe I shouldn't but yes you totally should buy FFIX again and replay it because it is WONDERFUL)

@Lethe - afjhdsj, thank you <3 It's strange - when I first did 1P1M for this site, it was because I thought there just wasn't enough to say about Beatrix to justify it being a multipage site and that it would be a one pager for ever. OBVIOUSLY I WAS WRONG. The progression of this site is interesting to me, haha.

OH MAN CLEYRA. *_* Just so, so gorgeous. I wish we got to spend more time there. (slightly related: people who say FFIX is childish and less mature than VII and VIII are ridiculous. This game gets dark.)

@Tara - you're welcome! I hope those links are helpful. :light:

I'm so glad you all enjoyed the revamp of this site - all these lovely comments really make me smile. :music:
a spoony bard
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

I'm really glad to see this revamped! It was great before, but it's fantastic now. Beatrix is one of my favorite characters from the game, and it's really great to see this revamp. I really love the bright and airy layout, and I LOVE the navigation. The image placement and border is also beautiful. Overall, the layout is gorgeous, and I love it. I LOVE the screenshots too. They look beautiful, and the quality looks really nice! Thanks, Steam!

I really enjoy the chronological presentation, and it works really well for her character development and progression. I also love that you take it above just a recap of every encounter with the character by offering your own explanation and theories for why she acted the way she did. It flows really nicely, and it was really nice to read.

I love the dynamic between Steiner, Garnet, and Beatrix, and I love that you included it in your shrine. Those characters have an incredibly deep, yet complex, bond, and it was really interesting to watch develop. I also shamelessly love the Beatrix and Steiner romance so I think your section dedicated to it is adorable.

Reading your shrine was incredibly enjoyable, and it's really well-written. I love your media section as well, especially the music (maybe biased though because Rose of May is one of my favorite songs from any FF game). It's a nice way to close out your shrine.
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

I just finished reading through all of your site, and it was nothing short of an amazing experience! It was incredibly thorough and I did have a good laugh here and there. The layout is also super gorgeous and sets this lovely mood for the site.

I really love how all the pages are separated by theme but still fall into a storytelling-type structure. It especially made it easy for me to navigate through, and saved me a lot of clicking, haha!

I am so glad you made this site! Thank you for your hard work!