Lux Perpetua

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Lux Perpetua

Post by Robin »

Lux Perpetua, a shrine to Dove from DC Comics' 1988-1991 Hawk & Dove series

MY BABY IS HERE!! After 7 long years of wondering if I'd ever get this site off the ground, here it is!

WHEE! ...I NEED SLEEP! XD

(note: I struggled a lot with the formatting and colors for this site, so any gentle advice on how to make it more readable is welcome ^_^;)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Re: Lux Perpetua

Post by Lethe »

Wow, good job!! You finished it in time too! :D I'm glad you included images even if the gallery itself is a project for the future. :>

Your sections are all very informative, and as someone unfamiliar with the comics and character, they paint a clear picture of Dawn/Dove. I especially like how there's no separate relationships page, and how her relationships (Don and Hank in particular) are a constant presence throughout the shrine instead, just as they are part of her characterization and her growth. And those characters and relationships are explored from so many different angles too! Another aspect that I feel is thoroughly explored across multiple essays is Dawn's self-perception - the way she uses and what she thinks of her powers, and how that may change over time.

The way you start talking about the subject you chose to shrine ("How Dove Gets Her Powers") is quite fitting too; it reads just like what you'd see when first opening a new book haha.

I think that a link, once visited, becomes nearly impossible to read (a:visited) because it's too bright, so you might want to change that colour.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

YAY! (Yeah, I got the site in right under the wire :3)

Glad you like the site, and that it's informative enough for people who are unfamiliar with the comic (because not too many people know about the Hawk and Dove comic, especially not the 1988-1991 series). Plus, I wanted the site to have a lot of essays and character-studying, so I had to have the groundwork laid first ^_^. Go go English major power! xD

...Oh, yikes, I just saw the a:visited color problem ^_^; Will fix it ASAP. Also, I'm going to plop in some intra-section navigation so people don't have to hit the back button like mad :D :D :D
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I's great that you choose a less famous super hero for this. I like how you went into detail about her character and personality. :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Mikari: Thank you! :D :D
withinmyworld.org
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Did some significant edits on the site today, fixing the a:visited color, a few of the articles' visual formats, and putting in some section navigation. It should be LOTS easier to browse now. Also, I added in button links to the BAB August Challenge and Amassment! :D
withinmyworld.org
Emrys

Post by Emrys »

I definitely plan to read through this! :D I like the simplicity of the layout! Great job~~
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Emrys: thank you! :D hope you like reading through it! :D
withinmyworld.org
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Wow, congrats on getting this site online! I know what it's like to have such a long-term project. I think it really paid off because you did an amazing job. There is so much information and it's all presented in a way that makes it easy to follow for someone not familiar with the subject matter. (Such as myself, lol.) And not just basic info, but some of the essays cover very interesting aspects of Dove's character. I also think it's nice that you wanted to provide info on this version of Dove since there isn't as much out there as the "New Earth" version of her. (And it's nice that you explain that on the site, too!)

Awesome work! :D
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Sarah: Thank you!! ^o^ I'm glad that the site does her justice, and is easy to read through even for folks who aren't familiar with the character or the storyline. Can't wait until I get a good hand scanner so I can start putting up some of my favorite images, though! ^_^

(BTW, all the in-text images were taken using my iPhone camera, and edited using my limited amount of Photoshop wizardry, LOL. I was really surprised at how good the pics came out!)
withinmyworld.org