Grumble: A small dedication to Groucho from Animal Crossing!

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Megan A

Grumble: A small dedication to Groucho from Animal Crossing!

Post by Megan A »

Hi, guys! I just finished my first shrine *ever* after Todd asked us all to make Animal Crossing shrines. I made a little one-pager to my favorite villager!

Grumble
Groucho the Cranky Bear

It's not the largest shrine, but I'm incredibly proud of it because it's my first! I hope you enjoy!
Lethe

Re: Grumble: A small dedication to Groucho from Animal Cross

Post by Lethe »

What a wonderful first shrine! IT'S SO COLOURFUL, INVITING AND ADORABLE.

I've never played any Animal Crossing installment, but I enjoyed reading your shrine; the loveliest thing is how YOU are present in every section and it feels like you're talking to the reader directly, not to mention that your writing voice and your love for the subject pretty much come across as you introducing us to a long-time RL acquaintance who you visit on a regular basis (especially the coffee and availability/sleep rhythm mentions haha). The shrine is coloured by your personal game experience; for example, you lead into topics saying "when I played the game..." rather than writing from a top-down omniscient perspective. I assume some of it is due to Animal Crossing's gameplay and structure (?), but I like this casual approach to writing a lot since it differs so much from mine. XD This is also backed up by a personal screenshot gallery goosh. <3

And the adorable profile boxes!!

Hope to see more from you in the future? :D (Nebilim from Tales of the Abyss ooooooh!!)
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I already told you on Skype, but I love your site! It's hard to believe this is your first fansite. Seriously, the caliber of it is on par with one pagers I've seen people make who have been making fansites for years. Lethe really hit the nail on the head about your voice on the shrine; it's inviting, it's easy to read, and I too love how personal and conversational it is. It works really well for this shrine.

Great stuff. I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see more shrines from you. :)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I'm really excited to see a shrine made by you, Mega! I would never even be able to tell this was your first shrine. It is so wonderfully done and was incredibly fun to read. <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I've never played any AC, but I hear a lot about New Leaf on twitter and it really makes me curious. That, and the wonderful shrines dedicated to it that have been popping up. (Including this one now!) The layout is super cute and is well set-up. I loved how you talk about Groucho Marx being a possible inspiration for this Groucho, and the section on glacier bears was also very interesting! I have to say the site as a whole is just thoroughly enjoyable and fun. :D
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Thank you so much, Lethe, Todd, Crystal, and Sarah! I'm actually speechless at all the nice things you have said about my shrine! It really means a lot to me that you like it.

I did try to put extra effort into it to seem a lot more personal, especially with including my experiences with Groucho in my game. I'm glad that really shone through in my writing! Also, @Sarah: I am glad you liked those particular sections! I did a lot of external research for both of those sections so I'm pretty happy with them! Animal Crossing tends to be a rather "shallow" game so I tried to go beyond that surface with both research and personal experience!

Ah, thank you guys so much! I'm so happy now! :D
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

This looks awesome! I'm not familiar with the series at all, but I really like how you have a section to the real animal. I like how you added your own spark to the site! I remember making my first site back in the day when I had a different domain, and I was so happy! Congrats on making it! <3
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

What a lovely character tribute! But it's much more than that, too; it serves as a great way to introduce people to the games in general. Excellent, easy read, with lots of pictures--which game did you use for the screenshots, by the way?

Oh, and also I'm joining the "cute layout" chorus ^o^ WELL DONE!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:What a lovely character tribute! But it's much more than that, too; it serves as a great way to introduce people to the games in general. Excellent, easy read, with lots of pictures--which game did you use for the screenshots, by the way?

Oh, and also I'm joining the "cute layout" chorus ^o^ WELL DONE!
Thank you so much! :D

The screenshots are from two different games since those are the two that I own. I have only one from the GameCube title "Animal Crossing" and the four others (and the ones that I posted in sections) are all from Animal Crossing: New Leaf!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

This is so adorable! ^_^ I love how much detail you included. :D The little drawings in About and at the end of the page are super cute.