"Tools" and ways to make your shrines?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Chibi

Re: "Tools" and ways to make your shrines?

Post by Chibi »

@ dubiousdisc: *HIGHFIVE* That is so awesome! :D I thought I was the only one who did that!

To be honest, I would love to get my hands on Notepad++, too bad it's not compatible with Mac, which is what I am using at the moment (used to be on Windows before I went to uni). However, like nyxmidnight, I'm also making the transition from Dreamweaver to Sublime Text 2, which I LOVE. It's seriously an amazing code editor.

Camy, thanks for making me discover Brackets! The only downside to moving from Dreamweaver to Sublime Text for me was the constant switching between editor and browser and refreshing the page. Brackets sounds like a great solution to this little problem!

I... actually have no idea how Bootstrap works. Or even what is actually is. But the idea of pre-written HTML is super tempting! Anyone wanna help me with this, either by email or PM?
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

@dragoneyes: the same thing would happen to me. It's like I couldn't turn off my brain's auto-correct and read what was supposed to be there. With the computer it's more like *pause* "that sounded weird..."

I also keep html/css notes on my site, the first page of notes is actually the basic structure that I copy and paste into a new txt file, then I add stuff from there. I'm used to navigating my notes so it goes by quickly with typing some stuff and copy+pasting others. So I guess my notes are another tool I use.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Chibi wrote:I... actually have no idea how Bootstrap works. Or even what is actually is. But the idea of pre-written HTML is super tempting! Anyone wanna help me with this, either by email or PM?
The bootstrap website has great documentation you can read! Check out Getting Started to see the basic page template you can copy and paste into an HTML document to plug your content into.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Aku

Post by Aku »

I guess these have been touched on already, but I swear by Evernote for essay writing and keeping organized, and Sublime Text for coding. :) Evernote is just really great at helping me barf out my thoughts--I think it also does a good job of helping me organize sections for my site when all is said and done. Sublime Text is just simple and pretty! I think I'm also an avid user of "Stickies". XD Quick way to jot down quotes that I like for my shrines while I'm watching anime, or just make note of episodes/chapters I should revisit...

I guess another thing I would consider a "tool" is my Spotify/iTunes! I always play music, so it's an easy way to make playlists to inspire my writing. :3
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

@ nyxmidnight: Thanks for the info! :) I'm going to look into it more!

Aku, we are basically the same! XD We both use Evernote and Sublime Text, haha. I should really get a Spotify account and build playlists for writing actually, that's a neat idea! :D
Aku

Post by Aku »

Chibi wrote:Aku, we are basically the same! XD We both use Evernote and Sublime Text, haha. I should really get a Spotify account and build playlists for writing actually, that's a neat idea! :D
Yeah, twinsies! XD Evernote is seriously really helpful, I wish they would allow for just a little more organization purposes. And yes, get a Spotify account! It makes it really easy to build playlists since all the music is available right away. :) I sometimes make some specifically for things I'm working on, to set a mood. (It might even be cool to later feature that playlist on a shrine, I guess!)
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Emma wrote:I use TextWrangler now - I used to use Textpad before I got a Mac and I still miss it, years later. But TextWrangler is fine, and I'm used to it now so I don't want to change. I usually code the index page in html to test the layout, and then convert to php, and I write all the content in TextWrangler because I like to see how it looks in the layout and I can figure out if I need to break up huge blocks of text or whatever as I go.
I have to do this too :| I have a 'testing.html' page that I write all my pages in, then I toss it into the .php file and upload it. I also really hate hanging words on paragraphs so sometimes I'll rewrite a sentence just to get rid of it.

One tool I forgot to mention earlier is Tumblr, of all things. The last couple sites I've made have all come from Tumblr liveblogs, starting with my Squall site. I started writing some meta and the next thing I knew I had the first draft for a fansite. Recently I had to rewatch all of Red vs Blue for the other fansites I've been working on, and by taking notes and tagging them, I was able to compile a lot of notes in an easily accessible place.

These days, if there's something I'm playing or watching and I happen to be liveblogging it with the intent to make a site later, it's pretty easy to add a tag for the character so I can find it later and use it as notes.
tonight fate is the
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Larissa wrote:I also really hate hanging words on paragraphs so sometimes I'll rewrite a sentence just to get rid of it.
This so much omg. x_x;
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Larissa wrote:These days, if there's something I'm playing or watching and I happen to be liveblogging it with the intent to make a site later, it's pretty easy to add a tag for the character so I can find it later and use it as notes.
I did this once too. I found a fanmix on Tumblr for a character that I plan on shrining, so I reblogged it and saved it for my future shrine, so I can just redirect people to that fanmix or that post on Tumblr.

I wouldn't list Tumblr as one of my tools though. I don't really like the site either, haha.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Crystal wrote:
Larissa wrote:I also really hate hanging words on paragraphs so sometimes I'll rewrite a sentence just to get rid of it.
This so much omg. x_x;
Thirding haha