Ever wanna make a shrine just because character is pretty?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
LadyDB

Ever wanna make a shrine just because character is pretty?

Post by LadyDB »

Oh my gooooood, it cant just be me, lol.

Okay, here is my list:
Aerith
Yuna
Tifa
Lightning
Lenne
Sarah
Rinoa (Okay, this one I actually played, but like 238482375 years ago)
Vanille
and about 6 other girls I can't think of, but by god, I know they are there...oh yeah, and that girl from The Bouncer....and that green haired girl from Grandia.

Okay, all these ladies, I think are so disturbingly beautiful and I love them for it. And all of these girls I have designed at least one layout for, and I have no idea anything about them. Like Aerith. I couldn't tell you if she's Cloud's sister or if she's a 70 year old gargoyle in a woman's body....nothing.

Has a beautiful character (man or woman) ever made you go, "OH LAWD I NEED TO KNOW YOU" and then you start a shrine you never finish, or hopefully you one day do?

I recently started playing FF13 and am having the haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaardest time getting through this game (you gotta admit, the beginning is boring), but I NEEEED to so I can make a shrine to Vanille.

Please tell me I'm not the only crazy person! lol <3
~ Lady DinoBug
Larissa
Time Traveler

Re: Ever wanna make a shrine just because character is prett

Post by Larissa »

Occasionally I'll find myself interested in a character from little bits and pieces I know about them, but it doesn't make me want to make a fansite for them, it makes me want to go play the game they're from, or go watch the series, or whatever. (This was the case with me and Miranda from Mass Effect 2, which I talked about some here.) I generally get interested in characters for their personalities and character arcs more than their appearances.

I've never gotten the urge to make a fansite without knowing nothing about a character, though. I know people have done it in the past (such as with upcoming games), or they based all of their content off of summaries they read. To each their own, but I don't really get the point of spending time on working on a fansite for something you're interested in and not checking out the actual... thing, you know? That's just how I feel about it, though.

I have totally started watching series or playing games purely to find out more about That One Character, though. Happens to me all the time.
tonight fate is the
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

UM YES.

I wanted to make a site to Ur when I saw him just because I loved his design. (Turns out I love him in the game, too.) I'm fairly shallow when it comes to character designs so most characters I tend to shrine are ones I think have interesting designs. I think liking the design is a large part of liking the character.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I have looked into things because I liked the looks of characters and wanted to know who they were, but the idea of making a site before even starting to know the character is completely alien to me. What can you even write about a character at that stage? That...you like them? I don't get it at all. It might be too early for me to start making anything for something I haven't experienced at least twice, fully...
Todd

Post by Todd »

I remember people used to sign up for fanlistings or even make shrines, pretending they played popular games. I see by one's more recent sites that she actually plays the games now, which is a huge relief. I think that is mostly done for popularity's sake, though I don't know why they just didn't play the games in the first place.

Personally, I've made a site to an upcoming book series before, but it was heavily news-based, and I was a huge fan of the author. That was back when I was 16 or so.
Aku

Post by Aku »

I'm not sure I've ever wanted to SHRINE a character I didn't know because they were pretty, but most definitely things with a cool design have inspired me to check out an anime/game, and that has led me to shrining something. XD For me, I really have to have a lot to say about something to want to create a shrine, so I think the visual appeal of a character doesn't have much to do with it.

Although as a designer first--lord knows I am absolutely stoked when the character I'm shrining is gorgeous so I can go all out with the designs. XD I think Destinie is right in saying that sometimes the visual appeal of a character can be a big draw for certain people. I originally picked up Gintama because I saw Gintoki on the cover of my brother's manga and thought he was very cutely designed, haha.

And there are definitely characters which I find simply lovely but have no desire to write about/there just isn't that much to say about them... I just tend to use them on layouts for generic things like collectives!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I tried making a shrine to Yuna once because I love her so much but I had never played the game at the time so it fell through.

There are a couple Fire Emblem: Awakening characters I am tempted to do this with (one just because I have a pet named after her that I use a lot for raids), but yeah. I'm trying to limit that.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
LadyDB

Post by LadyDB »

@ Larissa - Yeah, that's what I mean too, it makes you want to play the game to get to know them ^_^

@ Destinie - LOL Okay, so I'm glad you know what I'm talking about, haha. The way a character is designed can be super appealing, right?

@ dubiousdisc - Then I hope you never experience that because it can drive you crazy since you have no idea where to go beyond the fact that you like them! lol

@ Todd - THAT is crazy. I had no idea people did stuff like that, lol. Why own the fanlisting if....you don't even know the game. That's odd. Maybe sometimes people feel like a weird connection or something to it based on articles they've read or stuff they've seen regarding the character? I dunno...

@ Aku - Me too!! When a character I like is pretty, I'm like, "OH GOD I NEED MORE LAYOUTS WITH YOUR FACE." It's definitely motivational too. :)

@ Crystal - Right, like you like the character but then when it comes down to it, you're like, "Soooo where dod I go from here." I also tried making a Yuna shrine despite not playing the game and it also fell through. I tried to go based on Youtube videos, but I realized it was too in depth a game for me to attempt that.
~ Lady DinoBug
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I haven't made a shrine based only on a character being pretty, but I have started watching certain series or playing games because a character is pretty. I need a pretty character to give me that initial interest and I have to like that character to make me keep stalking I mean watching.

This has happened mostly with bishounen though I remember my initial reason for watching Kaleido Star was because of a AMV where the background looked pretty, beautiful acrobatic stage performances are a big part of the series so no wonder it looked pretty. I was looking for general overall cuteness when I started Puella Magi Madoka Magica... I got that and so much more.

Back on the topic of bishounen, Reno and Sephy got me into Final Fantasy VII, which got me into Final Fantasy in general... Yes, Advent Children was my first FF experience :o Though I have played the remakes of older games since, that was what started it all, because it's so pretty.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I've never made a shrine only because a character was pretty, mostly because the first reaction I've when I like a character's design is "oooooh, let me know everything about you!" and so I end up watching the series/playing the game and then, if they proved to be as interesting as they looked, I actually make a shrine for them.

I've watched very weird and unkown anime because of that XD
This dragon wishes you the best luck.