What do you think of "incomplete" shrines?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Laura

Re: What do you think of "incomplete" shrines?

Post by Laura »

I.. I kind of really hate it when someone opens up a site with all broken links. T_T Whenever I see a fanlisting that advertises itself as a shrine, I always get excited and then feel so let down when I see that none of the actual content is there. I don't mind it when someone says straight up when the shrine section is coming soon, but when it's advertised as already being complete, it makes me sad. XD;;

I really hate publishing a site without having at least 90% of the content up and complete. I'd dare say I hate it when I don't have every single section complete, but sometimes after working for so long and so hard, I give up and release the site with a couple pages to be published later (and sometimes I might forget about them and never come back to it).

I've only published one site that was mostly incomplete and that was my Kikyou fanlisting/shrine. I don't own the fanlisting anymore but I do plan on going back to the shrine and making it complete eventually... and ever since then, I've never done it again. Just left too much of a bad taste in my mouth, personally. ^^;;

As for focusing on one media... myself, I focus on the original source material which is more often than not, the manga version. I then like to supplement the original source with information from other versions. If I see a site focusing on only one canon, I consider it to be complete. It's up to the owner how much work they are willing to put into the site and it they like one version more than the others, it's totally cool to focus on that alone. I'm honestly just happy to see a site at all these days -- I'm not that picky! XD Plus, the owner might only have access to one version, so can't really fault them on that either.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

wolfrun wrote:I.. I kind of really hate it when someone opens up a site with all broken links. T_T Whenever I see a fanlisting that advertises itself as a shrine, I always get excited and then feel so let down when I see that none of the actual content is there. I don't mind it when someone says straight up when the shrine section is coming soon, but when it's advertised as already being complete, it makes me sad. XD;;
I have to agree with you on that. XD When I put up a fanlisting that I'm planning on turning into a shrine sooner or later, I always write it's a "soon-to-be shrine" and never advertise it as complete. Idk, when this happens I get so excited, I think, "This fanlisting is also a shrine? Heck yeah!" and then I click on the shrine section and there's just "coming soon" written in it. I feel like I got excited for nothing. XD;
Todd

Post by Todd »

Chibi wrote:
wolfrun wrote:I.. I kind of really hate it when someone opens up a site with all broken links. T_T Whenever I see a fanlisting that advertises itself as a shrine, I always get excited and then feel so let down when I see that none of the actual content is there. I don't mind it when someone says straight up when the shrine section is coming soon, but when it's advertised as already being complete, it makes me sad. XD;;
I have to agree with you on that. XD When I put up a fanlisting that I'm planning on turning into a shrine sooner or later, I always write it's a "soon-to-be shrine" and never advertise it as complete. Idk, when this happens I get so excited, I think, "This fanlisting is also a shrine? Heck yeah!" and then I click on the shrine section and there's just "coming soon" written in it. I feel like I got excited for nothing. XD;
I get bummed out when I come across fanlistings like this too. I think mostly it's because it feels like 90% of fanlistings that are "coming soon" shrines never get the shrine part. lol
Laura

Post by Laura »

Yeah, it's such a big let down to see the broken links or a "coming soon" message there. T_T All that excitement for nothing...!
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Todd wrote:
Chibi wrote:
I get bummed out when I come across fanlistings like this too. I think mostly it's because it feels like 90% of fanlistings that are "coming soon" shrines never get the shrine part. lol
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a fanlisting that had a "coming soon" shrine part that actually became a shrine. They either get adopted out or closed before the shrine part is added. D:
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I'm guilty of this with my Ike and Shiki shrines. Sorry! ;-;
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Me too recently! ;_; I'm working on the shrine just been working on the content when I have free time.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Oh, guys, we were't talking about you! We know you work hard on your shrines and that your fanlistings WILL eventually become shrines. I was talking more about those fanlistings that never become shrines before they get closed/adopted out.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Okay I quite don't feel so bad then (except for the fact that I'm taking so long to finish them is making me feel bad). My shrine/fanlistings that don't have finished shrines WILL be finished one day. Hopefully sooner than later. xD
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

1. I used to upload only "completed" shrines, having ALL bits and pieces of information in place and nothing really to add to it. However, maintaining those sites over time gets a bit old...it's hard to keep posting updates like "wellp, I'm still here, nothing to add, bye." So I think in some ways having a shrine that is "incomplete" paves the way for future updates. However, I am still careful to have at least SOME information up there, so that my first visitors don't feel like they're clicking around a wasteland of "Under Construction" pages.

2. I think a shrine is "complete" whenever the creator says it is. I've actually wanted to build a Card Captor Sakura-based site or page for a while, and have been kind of daunted by the thought that I might "have to" include the stuff from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (because that part of it doesn't interest me). But then I got to thinking, "Well, it's MY site on MY domain...why do I just 'have to' do anything a certain way?"

So, if I ever make the site (read: if I can quit procrastinating/letting RL get in the way), then I can simply make the site about what I'm interested in, and link to sites that do a much better job of writing about the bits I'm not interested in. I think it will still make for a "complete" shrine without including content I'm simply not passionate enough about to keep current.
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org