Series fansites

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Re: Series fansites

Post by Sarah »

I'm really enjoying this topic. I have a fansite for The Incredibles, and since I opened it, I have been thinking about what I can add to it. Right now I just have basic information on the movie itself, and individual character profiles. I'm happy with the latter, but as far as the movie section, I want to add analytical stuff. I do have some ideas penned down, and I hope to write them out someday. (Sooner rather than later.) What I have now - summary, quotes, etc. - can be found on wikis and even IMDb, so to me, it could use some personal perspective and insight. I'm also planning to write about the major relationships that exist in the movie.

To answer the original questions, I like to see analytical stuff on a series fansites. That is what makes a fansite different from a wiki, which tends to be factual. And I always love reading about why the owner of a fansite loves the subject, so it's nice to see that kind of personal section as well. You don't get that on wikis! And this has been mentioned, but there's always media you can add. Wikis will have image galleries, but a fansite can have those PLUS icons, wallpapers, fanart/fiction, etc.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Bringing this back from the dead! XD

I've been thinking about making some series fan sites myself. I think for smaller series or older series, creating your own fan site is really worthwhile. For massive series... like One Piece, for example, I wouldn't even bother considering making a general site for it because I wouldn't be able to compete with the wiki for it. That wiki is insane; even for just single character information, it has so much! I wouldn't bother doing a general site for Warcraft either, because there's just too much information for one user-run site. (Though I think general fan sites can be done for these if you make a focus more on a general overview with your own opinions and stuff. :D)

If I were to start working on a general fan site, I think one of the things I would focus on is detailed summaries for episodes/chapters. A lot of wikis give only basic details and they're not very good for references. When I write about a character, sometimes I forget what chapter an event took place in; I usually write it down but sometimes I forget. So I go to a wiki and try to find reference there and usually come up short. I think I'd also consider writing personal reviews about the episode/chapter in question. :D Wikis don't have that!

Another cool section would be recommendations. If you like [THIS SERIES], maybe you will like [THESE SERIES]. I find it's REALLY hard to find good recommendations on major sites but if there was a fan site run by a big fan of the series who could recommend other series and explain why... that'd be awesome! :D

I guess it goes without saying but something very obscure may not have a wiki at all. Myriad Colours Phantom World does have a wiki and while it's better than nothing, it's still kinda basic. If I could get translations for the light novels (none currently exist in English /sob), I'd definitely consider doing a fan site for it.

Another cool idea!! XD COMMUNITY OPINIONS! When a series is running, there's always some kind of big thing going on in the fan community and it's cool to be able to document that on your site! Like Haruka/Michiru for example: back in the day, it used to be a big deal about them being in a relationship and they were made cousins in the crappy dub. This isn't an issue anymore but I still documented it on my shrine to them because it was kind of a monumental moment in the history of the series. I think with a general fan site, you can include many more of these moments.

Also you can focus on more than one character from your fav series if you want. :D LOTS OF POTENTIAL EEEEEEEEEEE. I'm excited and would love to see more general fan sites. <3
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

I need to bookmark this thread, haha. There are so many good points in here, and I definitely have my share of series I'd love to shrine one day. I think the biggest thing to take away from this thread is that, despite being a series site, you don't have to cover every (little) aspect -- you can focus on whatever you want. Which is a good thing, because I tend to be a completionist so I feel the need to cover everythinggggg. :ack2: :bleh:

(Also, I'm just curious, but why do people call series fansites, while sites for characters/relationships are usually shrines?)
Laura

Post by Laura »

Elysa wrote:(Also, I'm just curious, but why do people call series fansites, while sites for characters/relationships are usually shrines?)
I was gonna reply to this here but I think I'll start another topic for it because it's pretty interesting and I think a lot of people will have their own input to add. XD