How do you decide what you make a shrine to?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Shiori

Re: How do you decide what you make a shrine to?

Post by Shiori »

Todd wrote:This. I have shrine "ideas" but I don't get serious about shrining until I'm ready to replay/rewatch/reread. For me, it's a bad idea to make a shrine my first time through a series.
I'm the same. The first time through a series, for me, is about watching + enjoying. Second/ third/etc. time through is when I start piecing together notes and a general shrine narrative, if I'm serious about making a dedication.

Does that make sense? :heh:
Todd

Post by Todd »

Shiori: Yep! Plus it makes sense to go back through it, as you'll be informing people about the subject and should have a good understanding of it.

I guess I didn't answer all of Destinie's question. If there are two characters I really like from one series and would like to shrine, a lot of factors go into helping me decide which one I shrine. 1) I think about which one I have the most to say about. If I like a character and come up with nothing when it's time to analyze him or her, he or she may not be the best subject. 2) I look at the community dedicated to the subject. If I am torn between Character A and Character B, and Character A already has a shrine or ten, and Character B has none, I'll go with Character B.
Ava

Post by Ava »

Pre-existing shrines are a factor to be considered for me as well. It's a factor that is weighed lightly, compared to the many other factors in deciding who/what to shrine, but it still affects me. If I can fill in a void in a certain fandom's community, it provides a lot of motivation.
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Saya

Post by Saya »

I just noticed I haven't answered a question:
But say you have two really awesome characters you like? How do you pick which you make a shrine to? Or do you do both (or all) of them?
Hum,... in xxxholic I actually decided to do 4 characters from that series, Yuuko that is already finished, Mugetsu, that is my MCS and well in the making are Watanuki and Doumeki. I find that I will have stuff to say about them, and everything. I'm still contemplating if uniting those two under the same url would be the best. =)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Saya wrote:I just noticed I haven't answered a question:
Me too, I suck.
But say you have two really awesome characters you like? How do you pick which you make a shrine to? Or do you do both (or all) of them?
It depends on how strongly I feel about a character, but also how much I have to say about them. My favourite character from a series might not be the one that I'd necessarily have a lot to write about. That was the case when I chose making a site to Reina from Witchblade over the heroine, Masane. While Masane was my favourite character initially, I found Reina's role (limited though it was) to be quite interesting. In the end I felt more confident in my ability to explore Reina than I did in my ability to explore Masane. That's just one example though lol.
Aku

Post by Aku »

Ava wrote:Pre-existing shrines are a factor to be considered for me as well. It's a factor that is weighed lightly, compared to the many other factors in deciding who/what to shrine, but it still affects me. If I can fill in a void in a certain fandom's community, it provides a lot of motivation.
I feel like this is a good point! XD To be honest, I haven't really run into this problem as most of the things I've created shrines for didn't even have any shrines existing within the series themselves to begin with, but I do feel like it's a bit of a deterring factor at times. I too am often motivated by knowing that creating a shrine for something nonexistent will "fill a void", or even inspire others to create more shrines to other characters in the same series.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

When I started shrining, I already knew which character I would shrine for. It's like I started shrining because of that character. *cough Edward* It also didn't affect that decision with the fact that that specific character have also existing shrines. I just made one to gratify myself and to challenge me. I guess. :yay:

Afterwards, I just made a list of characters that I also have a lot of things to say about or something like a connection with. :blush:

If I like two characters at the same level, I would make shrines for both of them.
aminuet .。. king
Kula

Post by Kula »

How do you decide what characters you make a shrine for? Or what series, for that matter. Do you pick or does it come innately to you?

I generally make lists and lists of things I would like to do--mostly to things I really like and end up obsessed with to the point I want to know everything. But I need to admit that the only shrine I have up right now (I have other that's actually in the works since... long ago lol) was born from a very casual conversation on aim with Aku so... I could dare to say that I'm a pretty spontaneous person.

I think I would do a shrine to both eventually... and even use ridiculous methods to choose which one first (like random.org)
overskill / uchuu ☆*。★゚*♪ヾ(☆ゝз・)ノ♪ ♪
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

A subject that I like and have enough to say about. I haven't been shrining of my own innitiative anymore, but Amassment events really help. 2 of my 4 shrines were made for events and another was inspired by Amassment in general and its members.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

How do you decide what characters you make a shrine for? Or what series, for that matter. Do you pick or does it come innately to you?
Sometimes I think they decide me. I just get this feeling inside that says "I want to shrine him/her/it." So in that sense it is more of an innate thing, I think. Chizu is a good example of that. As I was reading KnT, still early on in the series, I got this urge to make a shrine for her. It wasn't even like I decided on it, more like I just felt I had to do it. And I did want to, so it wasn't like my mind forcing me to make a shrine, lol. But still, there are times when I have decided on something and it's been a decision-making process. Overall, I have to really, really love the character AND know that I can say enough about them to make a shrine that is worthwhile.

I hope that answered the question(s). :ack2:

I would do both of them. But I would have to prioritize and decide which one to do first, because it takes me a long time to make even one shrine. So whichever one I choose to do first I would probably have to feel more motivated to work on at the time. I guess that's obvious though :dot:
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.