Shrine Stigma

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Shrine Stigma

Post by Destinie »

Do you tell people you make shrines? If you don't, why not? If you do, what reaction do you usually get?
Destinie

Re: Shrine Stigma

Post by Destinie »

It's not something that I usually parade around and tell people. I do once in a while and I'm always surprised by the amount of people that go "Wow, that's so cool!". I have gotten some weird looks but I don't care. On a sad occasion or two I've mentioned it to prove my "nerd cred".

I guess I don't tell people because it usually doesn't come up in conversation. I think if I found someone IRL who was interested in the same hobby I'd talk about it more.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I don't know any non-nerds, so they all know adsvhahvsd

I suppose that in the remote chance that I'm having a conversation with a non-nerd I might tell them if the topic comes up though?
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I don't tell people IRL because I don't want my family checking out my sites LOL :swt: I've linked my non-sitemaking friends to my sites though and usually tell them what I'm working on. A good friend of mine who's a big FF8 fan helped me edit and proofread my Squall site, which I really appreciated.

Other than that I might bring it up if the topic arises, or link to a site I have if it's relevant. Sometimes I get into fandom discussions about stuff I've discussed on my sites so I link 'em then, but that's really rare.

I've also just gotten to the point where I don't care what people think, haha. I roleplay a lot online and when it comes up in conversation IRL I describe it as 'collaborative writing' (which is accurate) and people think it's pretty interesting instead of weird. For me it's all about how you frame it.
tonight fate is the
anon

Post by anon »

I think now that a lot of people who have grown up with making shrines, it's seen as a more acceptable thing.
Aku

Post by Aku »

It's definitely not something that comes up in everyday conversation for me, even moreso now that it's not really what I prioritize when I have free time for myself. Most of my close online friends I met through site-making, so I talk to them a lot about it & bounce ideas off them. My IRL friends, although equally nerdy, are not really the "creative" types. I suppose it's not really that I don't want them to know, just that I don't think any of them would find it interesting or contribute to a conversation about it, lol.

That being said, shrining in particular is something I'm pretty secretive about haha, even online. I probably wouldn't openly share it with someone in person unless they expressed an interest in it first. XD I guess it's a pretty personal exercise for me, so I don't talk about it much outside of Amassment/close online friends who share the hobby. :)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Unless it comes up in conversation I generally don't tell others about them. Mostly because it is awkward telling them about it. Plus sometimes when I do I get weird reactions, and there are even a few don't support my passions so I tend to shy away from telling people about it. There is the odd person I've told who does like them though, but most just don't understand the concept of "shrines" and think of something else entirely when I mention the word.

The only people who seem to fully accept what I do are my friends who do the same thing as me and my parents. They're probably my biggest supporters (I'll even get my Dad's opinions on some things too lol).
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I found most people don't care one way or another. I linked my domain to some IRL friends, and they were more interested in the blog and personal aspects of my domain than the shrines.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I'm the same as Crystal, I don't really talk about it unless it comes up in a conversation on its own. Mostly because shrines aren't really a thing that everyone like or are interested in, so I just don't want to bug people with stuff they might not care about.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

(Ah, though I feel I should point out: not everyone I know is into making sites, but whenever it happened that I mentioned that I haven't received anything but "oh cool!" about it.)