Affiliation

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Varen

Re: Affiliation

Post by Varen »

Masao wrote:I wish I had more affiliates, but the truth is most of the time I'm just too lazy to make it happen. Instead of my sites being "too good" to affiliate (I hope no one thinks this), I just never really get around to asking people. I will mostly affiliate with any related shrines or fansites, and sometimes even fanlistings; as long as the subject is related or has similarities.

Depending on the layout/setup of the site, I may or may not differentiate the bigger affiliates with a button.
Are you me? Because yeah... Too lazy to ask. Very often my subjects are obscure so I have no one to affiliate with.

But I do have this whole fandom-related policy, though depending on the subject, I might allow others from the same creator, or themes (e.g. anthro characters with other anthro characters).
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I won't usually open affiliation on my shrines mainly due to the obscurity of a lot of them (My Fire Emblem ones specifically). But if I do choose to affiliate I'd like them to be related to the subject of the shrine. Some cases, like Data, I might open a little broader.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Todd wrote:What is your policy on affiliation for your sites? Is your affiliation policy different for each site? Are you more picky regarding affiliation on some sites than others? How do you differentiate affiliates from links?
My policy is pretty lenient. Since there are never many (if any) shrines related to the subjects I make, I will broaden the requirements. For example, with Elliot, I'll affiliate with any TV character/relationship shrine, even if it's not crime or drama related. With EVE, I'll take any shrine/fansite devoted to a western animation subject, not just Disney or Pixar.

As far as site quality/amount of content goes, I don't actually mention that on any of my sites. I guess I should, but since I almost never get requests, I don't worry about it. :x

Well, to me, when I affiliate with someone, it's like the sites are more closely connected (so in that regard, it's more of a "feeling" thing). I would link to them with a button, or maybe a bigger button, whereas a link exchange would be a text link or a small button. I might also do a little write-up for an affiliate.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I suppose one day I need to have an affiliation policy. The point of the matter for me is I'm not very social about affiliation. Beyond Cherri and Mikari, I'm not always like "hey, here's my site." I link them because I know they'll link me. It's just sort of something we do.

On the other hand, I like to affiliate or link anyone I respect as a designer or writer or someone's site I've spent a lot of time at. Currently, I'm actually acquiring affiliates! I'm excited about that.

For my collective, my general idea is that I'd like to know you before linking. I think its safe to say that if anyone here asked me, it'd be an auto-yes! I can safely say you guys appreciate quality and friendliness.

For my shrines, I would prefer similar subjects. For instance, I would happily link Poltergeist with When it Rains, it Pours because Tidus and Cloud are both in Dissidia and Theatrhythm. I can find the connection there. I want things of similar content, so I'd also link FFVII sites. For me it's a grouping issue. I will link other sites, character studies that follow the monomyth too because they follow the same pattern.

And actually, when I break it down, as long as you can connect the dots somehow and it gives me something to read - I'll most likley say yes.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I'm with Snow on what she said. I feel the same way, as long as it somehow connects. Even if it really stretches it. Like for Seppuku (coming in Octover), I'd want to affiliate with anything Shinsengumi related not just Hakuoki.
;o; *** pew! pew!
ritabuuk

Post by ritabuuk »

I actually have a hard time when it comes to affiliates. I used to have affiliates on the splash page, and normal links on a links page. But everyone always asked me to be my affiliate, and I have a hard time turning people down, so it got to the point that all my links were duplicated in two locations. That seemed really silly to me.

At some point I changed it so that all the links were just on the links page, and the affiliates had a little identifier as an affiliate if they were an affiliate, because it didn't feel right at the time just to demote other people down to being regular links when they treated me as a special affiliate, so I felt like I had to do something special somehow.

Recently, I decided that was pretty silly too. Since my links page includes a little blurb about why I think you should visit the site in question, I realized it would be pretty obvious which ones I am promoting the most and why. And I would hope a personal shout-out along with a link would be considered pretty special. So, not too long ago, I removed all the affiliates identifiers, and now I guess I just have links. No real affiliates anymore.

That said, I try to link to things that somehow relates and that I think a visitor might be interested in.