Advice for New Shrine Makers

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Re: Advice for New Shrine Makers

Post by Destinie »

1) Don't get discouraged by looking at what other people do and thinking what you have isn't good enough. If you want to make something then you should just do it, I guarantee there will be people out there who will enjoy it. And just because someone else has a site to the same character, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make yours. If anything, that's another reason you should make it! Networking with similar shrines is fun!

2) Look at a lot of sites that you like and get inspiration from many different places.

3) Don't be afraid if you're writing or layout isn't "good enough". Find a good point or reason for your site and focus on that instead. Your reason could be anything from "I want to tell everyone how much I like this character" to "I just felt like making a site".

4) There are no wrong ways to make a site.

5) Find your personal style and perfect it. Whether your style is what type of content you write, how you write, how you organize your sites, whatever, just work on it!

6) HAVE FUN. If you're not having fun, you should stop and refresh yourself, then come back to it later.
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Destinie wrote:And just because someone else has a site to the same character, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make yours. If anything, that's another reason you should make it! Networking with similar shrines is fun!
Even though I'm not a new site maker, this used to often stop me from making sites. If a character had multiple sites, I kind of shyed off from making one too. I guess part of me didn't see the point. XD;; I'm better about it now...But I never made a site for Riku from Kingdom Hearts for that reason. I've always kind of regretted it, so I definitely agree with this advice. :)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Samantha wrote:
Destinie wrote:And just because someone else has a site to the same character, that doesn't mean you shouldn't make yours. If anything, that's another reason you should make it! Networking with similar shrines is fun!
Even though I'm not a new site maker, this used to often stop me from making sites. If a character had multiple sites, I kind of shyed off from making one too. I guess part of me didn't see the point. XD;; I'm better about it now...But I never made a site for Riku from Kingdom Hearts for that reason. I've always kind of regretted it, so I definitely agree with this advice. :)
It happened to me, where I almost didn't make my Lloyd shrine because, at the time, there were several other ones I thought were better than mine. I went ahead and made it anyway, I'm glad I did!

Maybe some day you will make that Riku shrine??
Samantha

Post by Samantha »

Destinie wrote: Maybe some day you will make that Riku shrine??
Haha, maybe. I'm not really up-to-date on Riku after KHII so I'd have to do a lot of reading/watching videos and stuff. I stopped paying attention to him to ignore how much I liked his character <___<; *bad*
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

My advice would to always make shrines/sites to subjects you love, regardless of popularity or whoever else has a similar site. A lot of the things I love are from subjects that are really old/arent that well known, but i make them anyways! I hope that because of my obscure shrines, people can check out new (or old) series that i love and fall in love with them as well!!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Megan wrote:My advice would to always make shrines/sites to subjects you love, regardless of popularity or whoever else has a similar site. A lot of the things I love are from subjects that are really old/arent that well known, but i make them anyways! I hope that because of my obscure shrines, people can check out new (or old) series that i love and fall in love with them as well!!
This is true! I remember back in the day I worked with an online friend to make a shrine to a character I didn't really like, just because a bunch of other people had shrines to this character. It just seemed like the thing to do, really. ^_^; I second this. Make shrines to subjects you really love. It helps highlight you and your interests!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Basically everything everyone else already said. xD

I heartily agree with the idea of starting small. One way to do this would be to make a one-pager as your first shrine. The first shrine I made (after years away from the shrining world) was a one-pager. It was doable, and it was great practice for making bigger, multi-page sites.

That's really all I can think of. I loved everyone else's input, especially about not being afraid to shrine an obscure subject. Even as someone who isn't new to shrining, that is something I need to hear every now and then, lol.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.