Opening speeches

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Opening speeches

Post by dubiousdisc »

YOU CAN'T SAY THAT IN FRONT OF SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN MAKING ILLUSTRATED BOOKS WITH HAND-DRAWN TEXT ;________________;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I still like the pretty pictures XD
Varen

Post by Varen »

I actually hate how there are so few fonts to use when it comes to layouts. Especially since I tend to hate most of them. Arial is the most tolerable, but having the same font with every site feels... repetitive. I like to have different combinations of everything.

To get back on topic, opening speeches are usually the first thing I do, since it's the easiest. I shamefully copy&paste from my previous sites, since it's more like a template, and then I just pepper it with some unique comments like the typical "who is this character and why should you care about her/him" sentences.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Varen - nowadays @font-face is pretty widespread, so actually you can use more than Arial, Tahoma and Verdana!
Varen

Post by Varen »

dubiousdisc wrote:Varen - nowadays @font-face is pretty widespread, so actually you can use more than Arial, Tahoma and Verdana!
I... did not know this. How does it work?
Iris-NoireORG
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Explanation. :D Then you can put in any font in your page. Just make sure they are free for use on the web. All fonts here are.
Varen

Post by Varen »

dubiousdisc wrote:Explanation. :D Then you can put in any font in your page. Just make sure they are free for use on the web. All fonts here are.
Thank you! I'll be experimenting on this for a while now... <3
Iris-NoireORG
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I think all my opening speeches are about the same. I welcome the guest, let them know what the site is and who/what it is for (usually with a little description of the subject), why I love said subject, and then I close with info about the site itself (eg. spoiler warnings, what aspect of the character I cover, how up-to-date info is, etc.).

Other things I include on the index page are my email, links to any directories I have joined and a link to my update journal.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Eden

Post by Eden »

@Varen - I rarely use the @font-face rule in CSS. I go for Google Web Fonts which has a nifty stylesheet link and you just insert the name of the font you want in the CSS. A lot more handier and I don't need to upload fonts!

All my speeches for my sites are the same... a welcome message and what the website is about. I was never good with introductions. :/ Short and to the point is what I go for.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Holy shit, I had somehow missed on that! That will be really helpful, thank you Eden!