Active / Inactive / Archived shrines

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Active / Inactive / Archived shrines

Post by Destinie »

How do you define active/inactive/archived shrines? I have this question because I am looking at my collective and wondering if I should distinguish my shrines. Do you all distinguish the status of your shrines?

I have a lot, actually, most of my shrines are no longer updated due to the fact the series that they are from no longer have any additions or those characters or so minor that they don't appear in other variations of the series. If my shrines haven't been updated in about a year (or more) should I give them a status? Should I list them as inactive or archived? Is there a difference? I don't want to close them down or anything because I really like them and put a lot of work into them, and I might do minor updates (or I might not), but then sometimes I fear I should update them just for the sake of keeping it active. (Aside from doing layout changes.)
Crystal

Re: Active / Inactive / Archived shrines

Post by Crystal »

Hmm, that's a good question.

I think it could all depend on how much you update them or are willing to update them. Like, a shrine that you update often could still be considered active, and maybe shrines that don't have much reason to be updated (like as in the series is finished and you've covered everything possible) could be considered archived. If you don't update it anymore just because or whatever then I could probably consider it inactive. I hope that made a little sense. *cough*
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Varen

Post by Varen »

For me, archived sites are sites I no longer wish to work on for purely personal reasons, but keep them online for others to see. I also like to point out that they are no longer a reflection of my current interests or skills.

Inactive sites are things I do hope to still work on, but can't due to RL issues, or like in your case, the lack of content to update in general. And active is the opposite of course. XD
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

In my case, I distinguish them just because I want someone who visits my collective to go look at the work that I'm most proud of first, regardless of their probability to receive updates. Some of these featured works are sites that will most likely never receive major content updates as I have already covered everything that I wanted to write, but I like as they are now, so I'm happy to put them in the spotlight and let them be.

The archived ones are sites that I am not as proud of and have no intention in touching ever again but don't feel like it's fair to delete them, so I put them as unfeatured and if you really want to look at them, feel free, but that's all.

In your case, you could say on the front page that the site is finished and as such won't be really updated, but that you're still keeping an eye on it and cleaning up when needed and so on?...
anon

Post by anon »

Everyone here has basically said all that I wanted to say, so I'm going to echo them on this. :)

I consider inactive websites to be websites that I won't be working on constantly, but may edit them once in a while with a fix in grammar/typos, a new layout, or maybe even a revision of sections that no longer reflect my current views. Considering how often I work on sites, though, I don't see a need to distinguish what is active and inactive because declaring these statuses sometimes makes me feel pressured to continuously update. If I had to describe what an active site is on my terms, it'd be a website I can see myself updating at least once a month.

Archived sites are websites that I no longer intend to work on, but will keep online for others to enjoy. I may revise a couple of sections to reflect my current views but I usually will keep it untouched. They're basically websites that I've "closed" or "left" but will still be online... no updates.

You don't have to list a status if you don't want to, of course!!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Active - being updated, under construction with intentions of eventually finishing.

Inactive - hiatus, no plans of updating but might be updated.

Archived - frozen, not to be updated again.

That's basically it for me ^^;;
Todd

Post by Todd »

My views are very similar to Varen's...

Inactive or archived sites for me would be sites I no longer wish to update for personal reasons. Either I moved on from the fandom, or the site's in a condition I'm not very proud of, and I just don't want to touch it again.

My Sabin site is dedicated to a character from a game almost 20 years old! I have covered nearly everything there is to write about Sabin and FF6, and there may be months between updates, but I consider the site active because I still love the game and character, and I'm very proud of the condition the site is in.