Updates

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Updates

Post by Todd »

How often do you update your shrines?

Do you make shrines complete, upload them, and never touch them again? Do you upload new shrines with just a few necessary sections, and then update with new sections over time?

How often do you do layout changes?

Do you leave a note somewhere for visitors to see what you've changed when you update? How do you record updates for your sites?

You don't have to answer all of these questions... Just some conversation starters. :)
Todd

Re: Updates

Post by Todd »

I started thinking about updates after looking at one of my sites' updates pages and realizing it's been about a year since I've updated it. Oops. So yeah, I guess I don't update my sites a ton, though I feel like I work on them a lot for some reason.

It really depends on the site, but most of my sites are dedicated to characters from games that are 10+ years old, and I wrote everything I could about them years ago. I hesitate to archive the sites, cause I do enjoy working on them, but it becomes hard finding stuff to add or tweak on a regular basis, so they end up sitting for a year or so until I change the layout or add a new affiliate or something.

I used to upload sites smaller than I wanted them to be with lots of room to grow, and I worked on and added to them over time. I found that my flame for the subject would die down, though, and I'd be left with a site I felt unsatisfied with. To prevent that, nowadays I finish a site completely before ever uploading it, adding every section I think I might want to ever add. After uploading them, they're rarely touched because there's nothing left to write about, but at least I feel very good about their quality.

As for recording updates, I have an updates Livejournal, but I am slowly moving away from that, and moving toward having an updates page on each site. I'm going to be reorganizing my personal LJ, and I'll be using it to call out bigger updates for my friends who follow me who are interested in my sites, but small changes and whatnot will just be mentioned on the sites themselves.
anon

Post by anon »

My habit of updating is spontaneous. When I'm scrutinizing my websites and rereading what I write, sometimes I go, "WTF HAPPENED TO MY GRAMMAR" and edit the crap out of it. And then spend like 15 mins. on FileZilla replacing changes. When my interest in sites die down, I usually leave it untouched for months.

Layout changes for me don't happen a lot because they take a lot of energy out of me. A huge reason is because I'm so freaking stubborn I refuse to use any resources other than my own. I think the instances when all of the layout changes occur is when I want to reorganize or rewrite information on my website, and then notice the layout pretty much restricts me wanting to add a new section. Another time when they occur is when almost all the information on my website is outdated, and I figure, might as well give everything a change.

It's like building a new site for me, but I guess I shouldn't think it that way because it makes me feel like I have more work than I made myself out to have.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Rarely...

Do you make shrines complete, upload them, and never touch them again?

Usually yes, I only update the links.

Do you upload new shrines with just a few necessary sections, and then update with new sections over time?

I prefer to have it finished or mostly finished. I might add things if I think of them later, but I'll initially upload it when everything in my outline is done.

I update my collective layout often as I have more freedom for variety, but for shrines I apply skins or a layout that stays.

Do you leave a note somewhere for visitors to see what you've changed when you update?

Yes but not on the site, I put it on blogs.

How do you record updates for your sites?

On blog posts, on LJ, MAL and a bunch of others. I'm too lazy to link all the blogs but I have them all listed here.
Saya

Post by Saya »

I normally do it, when I re-read, re-watch whatever, I find something to add to it. And when I have like time to actually sit down and write stuff

Do you make shrines complete, upload them, and never touch them again? Do you upload new shrines with just a few necessary sections, and then update with new sections over time?
Depends, I upload when there is at least some decent amount of content, but if I'm putting up a fanlisting too, normally I put up the page where there will be the content, and then slowly adding it (example is Inter Somnia)

Here goes the same as the update, if there is an image that gives me inspiration, or I want to re-arange everything, or... I just get hit by inspiration, then I change it =)

Do you leave a note somewhere for visitors to see what you've changed when you update? How do you record updates for your sites?
I have a twitter account for updates =)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Nowadays, I don't update a lot because when I open a site it's already basically complete. To boot, there are very few things I'm interested with that are part of an ongoing series. If new material were to be released on a character I have a shrine for, though, I'd run to update the site!

Layout changes happen whenever I feel dissatisfied with old layouts...which might happen in anywhere between three-four years and a month. XD

I record noteworthy updates on the front page of the site itself. On two of my sites, I have actual update logs. On all the others, I never really felt the need for it. And lastly, whenever there's something big and new, I post on the update journal, though I am beginning to grow tired of that system too.

Since we're talking about it, I'd also like to discuss - is it considered acceptable to post major updates on the boards? XD I know that all the people that would care about my site updates and that don't know about them directly through me knocking on their door and yelling I HAVE OPENED A SITE are here, so...
Todd

Post by Todd »

dubiousdisc wrote:Since we're talking about it, I'd also like to discuss - is it considered acceptable to post major updates on the boards? XD I know that all the people that would care about my site updates and that don't know about them directly through me knocking on their door and yelling I HAVE OPENED A SITE are here, so...
People can post their recently updated or new sites in the plugs board. We could also make an updates sub-forum, kind of like the Banner Trade sub-forum, where everyone can have their own post they update. That's something I've been thinking about a lot too.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Usually, I try to pic a day out of the week to update, if I'm going to do them. Usually my days off. So I tend to update links on those days.

Generally I work on the whole thing then upload it when it's done. Lately I've been working my days off on shrines, so I can work on a little bit at a time as I do not have as much time to sit down and really work on them like I'd like too. I prefer to do it all at once. In particular since I use something very specific for my sites I would prefer to have them completed because it seems awkward to me when sections are missing.

My layouts are my weak point. I don't mind making them, I just feel I am terrible at it. I try to change it every couple of months though so I'm updating it at least. Usually though, I just change them when I get bored of them or when I see an image I think I can work with.

I do when I am working on weekly updates (like for my Ryuji Site). Otherwise I remove it. I don't have a way to do it without it sort of breaking what I think is the flow of my pages! XD
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Todd wrote:
dubiousdisc wrote:Since we're talking about it, I'd also like to discuss - is it considered acceptable to post major updates on the boards? XD I know that all the people that would care about my site updates and that don't know about them directly through me knocking on their door and yelling I HAVE OPENED A SITE are here, so...
People can post their recently updated or new sites in the plugs board. We could also make an updates sub-forum, kind of like the Banner Trade sub-forum, where everyone can have their own post they update. That's something I've been thinking about a lot too.
!!!! Yes, I like this idea!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I don't update them as often as I would like. It tends to take a year or two, lol. Sometimes it is more frequent, but in those cases, the updates are little, like fixing a grammatical error or adding a new link button, etc.

I don't make sites complete. I actually think it is more fun to be able to keep adding to it, however long it would take me to do so.. I would hate to upload a site then never touch it again. I suppose if it was complete content-wise, I could archive it and be okay with that. But I would at least try and change the layout or make more media for it every now and then. However, when I upload a site that isn't complete (which is always the case), I do try to have a fair amount of sections up before uploading it, just so it has enough to be entertaining/keep the reader there for a while.

Not as often as I should! I guess it takes me a couple years. If I particularly like a layout, then I hate to change it, so I put it off. Or I just put it off because I am lazy/in a layout slump.

Yes, I like to keep people informed of what is new at my sites. I used to have an update LJ, but since I deleted my personal LJ, it's gone. Now I just make note of updates on the sites themselves, which is easier anyway.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.